Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to Away Games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Going to Away Games

Im mad to go to the upcoming away games, its just nobody else I know has the same interest. Most say they might go but wont give a definitve yes and since usually these things need to be booked early when you ask people to pay up the maybe turns in to a no.

So was just wondering is there any away supporters groups I could get involved in?
    Do many people who go to away games travel on their own?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I started going to games and some times I had mates and brothers etc who would go but other times I went on my own. Once you start going to the smaller games you will meet people like Sligo Hornet and Moscow Mule and you will be stuck with them. So you make your choice and you take your chances. All in all I think its worth the risk.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    ............will meet people like Sligo Hornet and Moscow Mule and you will be stuck with them.................

Kingdom not so sure this is a good recommendation
    AidoM

Starting on the long pilgrimage to South Africa

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdomkerry View Post
    Im mad to go to the upcoming away games, its just nobody else I know has the same interest. Most say they might go but wont give a definitve yes and since usually these things need to be booked early when you ask people to pay up the maybe turns in to a no.

So was just wondering is there any away supporters groups I could get involved in?
    have travelled on my own to a good few aways. just get yourself to a bar full of green, and you'll soon find yourself good company too willing to share a few drinks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kingdomkerry

Book up, turn up and you will have a ball. Every game is different though your drinking chums are always the same. Watch out for Aido - he will have a badge on you before you know it.
    I've got a horse!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    I started going to games and some times I had mates and brothers etc who would go but other times I went on my own. Once you start going to the smaller games you will meet people like Sligo Hornet and Moscow Mule and you will be stuck with them. So you make your choice and you take your chances. All in all I think its worth the risk.
    Some people are just born lucky, eh Neil!
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sligo Hornet View Post
    Some people are just born lucky, eh Neil!
    Better to be born lucky, that born good. definitely the case for Neil anyhow.

Ive gone away with mates KK but I find myself in the same predicament as yourself, so I try and befriend the first person I meet, no seriouslly though if I get friends to go its usually through the idea of a lads holiday where we stay on or do something else as well. A lot of the time however i have ended up getting "lost" and just met some other irish and stay out drinking with them. Sometimes this can be risky though as ye can be standing round for a couple of hours like a tool waiting to get chatting to someone. All in all though I'd still say "chance it". If people know yer on yer own they usually let you join in with them - on away trips anyhow!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    just stay away from paul o'shea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Tribe View Post
    just stay away from paul o'shea
    On the contrary, I thought he was a "very nice chap"!......for someone who doesn't know his own surname!
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    paul will know i am only winding him up.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Tribe View Post
    paul will know i am only winding him up.
    No, I was very upset actually.

Ya Hornet, its a pity you had to rush off, I had spotted your son sitting down earlier and thought that maybe your group (never noticed the flag, dont know how i missed that ), but as I have gone up to tables in the past and said things like are you pat o'banton etc etc (and gotten some strange looks ) I said I'd better not do it this time....
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Better to be born lucky, that born good. definitely the case for Neil anyhow.

Ive gone away with mates KK but I find myself in the same predicament as yourself, so I try and befriend the first person I meet, no seriouslly though if I get friends to go its usually through the idea of a lads holiday where we stay on or do something else as well. A lot of the time however i have ended up getting "lost" and just met some other irish and stay out drinking with them. Sometimes this can be risky though as ye can be standing round for a couple of hours like a tool waiting to get chatting to someone. All in all though I'd still say "chance it". If people know yer on yer own they usually let you join in with them - on away trips anyhow!
    We'll if I cant get anyone to come on the trip I think I will chance it. Sure anytime im out with the boys I always end up on my own anyway by the time of the club. I'd talk to the wall aswell (especailly after a few pints ) so guarantee you i'll be straight up to the first group of Irish fans I see in the bar in dublin airport. So if ye see a handsome young man approaching saying "can I join ye lads" in a Kerry accent and an Ireland jersey dont say ye have'nt been warned!
    Last edited by kingdomkerry; 09/06/2008 at 4:17 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Reading this thread makes me wonder which of ye I've met over the years. Chances are most of ye at this stage!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I'd be in the same boat as yourself.
    None of my friends are really into going to matches,

i go to most of the Galway GAA(usually my two Uncles i'd go with as coming from the city i'm really on my own in supporting the GAA, have one or two friends who have a passing interest and might go occasionally).

The Internationals(always hassle trying to get someone to go, nearly missed the Serbia game because of it but got someone at the 11th hour).

And the......
    GUFC matches H+A (always somebody for this one though).

I really want to head to Italy anyway, think i've one convinced to come he's not stuck for money in his job anyway so it's a case of desire now.

Would'nt mind i have a cousin who's only two or three years older then me(im nearly 22) and he has about 8 friends (at most, always at least 4/5 of them) who would go to away games, wish i had friends in that sense

I'd consider heading alone in ten years, travelling to away games at 22 is just complete desperation
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilberto_eire View Post

I'd consider heading alone in ten years, travelling to away games at 22 is just complete desperation

Go for it and just make sure to book a hotel with plenty of irish in it, very easy to find that out in advance through forums like this. You'll regret it if you don't in 10 yrs time when your old
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post
    Go for it and just make sure to book a hotel with plenty of irish in it, very easy to find that out in advance through forums like this. You'll regret it if you don't in 10 yrs time when your old
    Aaah will be grand i'll make sure someone comes with me, after the Serbia game as i said i think i convinced a good friend of mine to head to Italy anyway!!
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gilberto_eire View Post
    Aaah will be grand i'll make sure someone comes with me, after the Serbia game as i said i think i convinced a good friend of mine to head to Italy anyway!!
    Don't worry about it Gilberto as when you think too much you can talk yourself out of going .
    My first up for an away game was the world cup in 90 , I was in India at the time so I just booked a flight to Rome , within the first 3 hours I managed to buy a tent and a ticket to Sardinia .
    At the start I was one man and a tent but by the end we had about 35 traveling around as a group .

If you get your away tickets with GUST you know most around you anyway .

TAKE A CHANCE .....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Ive decided im going to the the Georgia game. It works out around €180 for flights. To take in the 2 games would cost €800 ish for just flights and 6 days annual leave which could **** me up if I have to repeat an exam in the autumn.

Route is Dublin Riga, Riga Tiblisi, Tiblisi Riga, Riga Dublin. Over on the Thursday and back on the Monday. 2 days off work only.

Anyway before I got "desperate" and booked it solo. I said id send an email around to buddies accumulated during my time in college in Galway and Cork and working in Dublin and of course Kerry. That was only last night and already this morning I have 1 certainty and about 3 maybe/probablys.

Anyone else travelling on their own, feel free to send me a PM and ye'd be more than welcome to travel with us (provided your not a big freak )

I always felt that any easygoing Irish will always get on like a plane on fire.
    Last edited by kingdomkerry; 10/06/2008 at 8:59 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Ive decided im going to the the Georgia game. It works out around €180 for flights. To take in the 2 games would cost €800 ish for just flights and 6 days annual leave which could **** me up if I have to repeat an exam in the autumn.

Route is Dublin Riga, Riga Tiblisi, Tiblisi Riga, Riga Dublin. Over on the Thursday and back on the Monday. 2 days off work only.
    KK check you figures again, the Riga - Tbilisi is about E340 on its own currently . although we paid E480 each for the whole trip when the fixtures came out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Riga to Tiblisi with Air Baltic Fly over on the Friday 113LVL and fly back on mon 8/09/08 for 109 LVL. Total is 276 including taxes charges etc. Checked it out on a currency converter and it comes up as €80.

Unless theres some hidden charges cause I have'nt actually paid for it yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast