Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Editing

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Editing

I'm not sure whether this is possible, but when other people edit their posts it doesn't come up as a new post afterwards. Sometimes this causes me - and possibly others - to miss an essential point so I was wondering whether the system could be modified so that it comes up as a new post causing people not to miss it. I've seen it on other message boards but I'm not sure whether it could be done on this one. I know it's a bit of an odd request but I think it would be a useful change to the message board.

Thanks.
    Last edited by jmurphyc; 05/06/2008 at 9:03 PM.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jmurphyc View Post
    I'm not sure whether this is possible, but when other people edit their posts it doesn't come up as a new post afterwards. Sometimes this causes me - and possibly others - to miss an essential point so I was wondering whether the system could be modified so that it comes up as a new post causing people not to miss it. I've seen it on other message boards but I'm not sure whether it could be done on this one. I know it's a bit of an odd request but I think it would be a useful change to the message board.

Thanks.
    Did you edit this post for the craic?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Thanks.
    Are you saying ....

- Someone posts something
    - They go to edit it and you read/reply at the same time
    - Then you realise their post has changed somewhat

and you are suggesting that ...

- When they edit it removes their initial post
    - And their 'new' post appears below your reply

Dont think that would help the situation/issue you are highlighting, it could possibly make it worse
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Are you saying ....

- Someone posts something
    - They go to edit it and you read/reply at the same time
    - Then you realise their post has changed somewhat

and you are suggesting that ...

- When they edit it removes their initial post
    - And their 'new' post appears below your reply

Dont think that would help the situation/issue you are highlighting, it could possibly make it worse
    I understand that my post wasn't put in the most coherent way possible but it's a difficult thing to explain. I'll put it in bullet points as you have done as it's the best way of explaining it (btw I'm pretty much agreeing with the first part):

- You read said post.
    Then you either
    - Respond to it only to realise that their point has changed.
    or
    - You move on to another part of the forum or log out and when you come back you read later posts in the thread but completely miss out on the bit that they added to their post.

As for the second suggestion, I agree that that would make things far more complicated and could lead to confusion/arguments. I'm not sure whether this can be changed (and perhaps most people don't really care) but I personally think it would be a good thing.

Again, thanks.

Oh and I didn't edit the initial post for the laugh!
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    We can't really bump threads because a post was edited in them, it would result in half the current threads on the site being bumped thoughout the day. Sorry.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    We can't really bump threads because a post was edited in them, it would result in half the current threads on the site being bumped thoughout the day. Sorry.
    That's no problem. I just noticed it on another forum and I thought it could be useful, but then again I guess it could lead to chaos. Thanks for getting back to me anyway.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    And (speaking for myself here) I only edit posts to add or change a point a small percentage of the time. Mainly, in fact overwhelmingly, it's to correct spelling, or in a long post to change sentance structure around to make it read easier. This would really cause chaos if these changes were to appear below any replies, long threads would quickly become totally unreadable.
    Very poor idea. Which board did you see this on so we can avoid it?
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Blah edit Blah edit Blah edit Blah edit Blah edit.
    Do you mean like this?
    For all the latest League of Ireland news visit www.extratime.ie