Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finnan to return ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    i havent been picked by Ireland in my prefered position but would still like to play without any conditions

I turn up at all matches home and away with my boots just in case, mind you they really could have done with me in San Marino
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I doubt that Trap will be giving any of you a phonecall

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post

And unfortunately I dont have his, anyway we'll to to busy celebrating a few decent results, met an Italian from Turin, at a business meeting yesterday, he was convinced we would beat them in Italy, says we've Juventus's best ever in the three amigos! Hope he's right
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    i havent been picked by Ireland in my prefered position but would still like to play without any conditions
    bottom line is that we've a far better defence with Finnan than without him. Any conditions he (or any player) attaches to his return are unfortunate, but if we have to live with them, then so be it
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Finnan has done nothing wrong imo. He's probably the nearest to a world-class player we've had for the last 5 years, playing consistently for a Liverpool team that has reached 2 European finals and 3 semis.

Yet, he was ****ed around by Kerr and Stan which was unacceptable.

And it isn't the 1st time by a long shot that this has happened: Kiely, Carsley, Keane in recent times and foreigners like Lilian Thuram, Zidane, Makelele, Larsson; need I go on?

And by the way, Finnan said he would discuss the situation with Trap, not sit down and negotiate a million quid per appearance as aome here are implying
    San Marino are going to be a handful as the group goes on." - Steve Staunton reacts to performance against San Marino.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    ah come on now geysir you have being on this forum long enough, attack the post not the poster
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    But Paul, you have been on long enough to know that wouldn't come near to being one of my insults

BTW, I never questioned your dedication to the Ireland cause when you decided to go on a pre match orgy of pints, missing the kick off by 30 minutes

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    But Paul, you have been on long enough to know that wouldn't come near to being one of my insults

BTW, I never questioned your dedication to the Ireland cause when you decided to go on a pre match orgy of pints, missing the kick off by 30 minutes
    Ah ya but come on don't be hurting their feelings, a boy and his dreams and all that...

I didn't go on an orgy of pints, though I had a few. I also had stew(which was quite nice HarpoJoyce, lots of meat)*. Missing the kick-off was down to poor time-estimation - a big work problem of mine also - and thinking I knew a shortcut that ended up being a long-cut i.e. I should have followed my own advice in the "roll call" thread.

*Subtle, but say that first line in a galway accent and it becomes a line short of a limerick, if you fill in a few commas its there.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    just walked by finnan there at london bridge, unfortunately due to my crap eyesight didn't realise it was him till gone past, could have got the answer from the horses mouth
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    just walked by finnan there at london bridge, unfortunately due to my crap eyesight didn't realise it was him till gone past, could have got the answer from the horses mouth
    In london to sort out a transfer?? - steve i mean!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
    In london to sort out a transfer?? - steve i mean!
    ya thought about that but why would he be at london bridge? unless he is going to Charlton of course
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    You heard it here first folks. Paul definitely saw Finnan on the way to Fulham to negotiate his transfer. Its a done deal.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    You heard it here first folks. Paul definitely saw Finnan on the way to Fulham to negotiate his transfer. Its a done deal.
    oh ya did i forget that part he was about to jump on the district line down to fulham
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    oh ya did i forget that part he was about to jump on the district line down to fulham
    id prefer not to be reminded of my tube journey to fulham for the game in may - nightmare!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    So people think that Finnan had a hard time because in played in poor Ireland sides and was played out of position?

Just confirms the size of the egos if thats why he retired.

Geysir, you are right that we don't have the info about what happened, but some of us don't need to know the full story to make an assessment of the man's moral backbone (or lack therein) given what we do know as fact.

Obviously some people are happy to move with the times and accept the norms that the modern football players adhere to, and some don't. I'm glad I got a few decades of watching true Irish heroes in green.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    So people think that Finnan had a hard time because in played in poor Ireland sides and was played out of position?

Just confirms the size of the egos if thats why he retired.

Geysir, you are right that we don't have the info about what happened, but some of us don't need to know the full story to make an assessment of the man's moral backbone (or lack therein) given what we do know as fact.

Obviously some people are happy to move with the times and accept the norms that the modern football players adhere to, and some don't. I'm glad I got a few decades of watching true Irish heroes in green.
    Well said. Those days are gone. The modern footballer is much more concerend about the size of his paypacket than anything else. Initially i was 100% on for finnan, ireland and obrien to comeback but it should not matter who is in charge or what fee they are getting. either you want to play for your country or not. Now im not so sure at all-nobody should have to be coaxed to represent their country. Look at that england team of stars that didnt qualify for euro 2008-they just didnt care that much about it-no other reason.

Am I the only one also that raised an eyebrow when kiely said "it was the opportunity to work with trap and brady" that made him comeback? Does that mean that he wouldnt have bothered his arse coming back if we had gotten someone of a lesser profile?
    I

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    i thought about it a little more, its got go be west ham. so steve finnan to west ham
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as_i_say View Post
    Well said. Those days are gone. The modern footballer is much more concerend about the size of his paypacket than anything else. Initially i was 100% on for finnan, ireland and obrien to comeback but it should not matter who is in charge or what fee they are getting. either you want to play for your country or not. Now im not so sure at all-nobody should have to be coaxed to represent their country. Look at that england team of stars that didnt qualify for euro 2008-they just didnt care that much about it-no other reason.

Am I the only one also that raised an eyebrow when kiely said "it was the opportunity to work with trap and brady" that made him comeback? Does that mean that he wouldnt have bothered his arse coming back if we had gotten someone of a lesser profile?
    Im not sure what anyone else thinks but if you look at the best performing teams in the Euros so far, in my opinion Holland and Croatia. Now admittedly these teams have a few big name stars but on the whole they dont have players who are 'superstars' (eg Oojier, Boulahrouz at the back for Holland). However, they are playing with a real passion for their country and more so they are playing as a team. This is why England havent qualified, as although they have a very good best XI, they fail to play as a team, basically its a bunch of individuals as opposed to a well drilled team.
    On this basis, I feel we should aspire towards the likes of the Croatian model, a good manager, a solid team without any real 'superstars' however as a unit they are as good as the rest, so far anyways.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Im not sure what anyone else thinks but if you look at the best performing teams in the Euros so far, in my opinion Holland and Croatia. Now admittedly these teams have a few big name stars but on the whole they dont have players who are 'superstars' (eg Oojier, Boulahrouz at the back for Holland). However, they are playing with a real passion for their country and more so they are playing as a team. This is why England havent qualified, as although they have a very good best XI, they fail to play as a team, basically its a bunch of individuals as opposed to a well drilled team.
    On this basis, I feel we should aspire towards the likes of the Croatian model, a good manager, a solid team without any real 'superstars' however as a unit they are as good as the rest, so far anyways.
    Agree with you to a point on Croatia though I believe they have possibly a slightly better calibre of player than us at the moment. However the Dutch are a different kettle of fish as they have a number of World Class players (every team has a couple of average players such as the 2 you mentioned, even Brazil).

I would feel that on paper the Dutch first 11 is better than the English first 11. Van Nistelroy, Sneijder, Robben, Van de Sar, Van de Vaart and Van Persie would all make a claim to be regular starters in the English team. Keep in mind that doesn't include the likes of Huntelar, Babbel and Van Bommel who can't even get a game for the Dutch (or into the squad in Van Bommel's case for that matter). I don't buy into the assumption that the English team can't work together and are a team of individuals to explain their regular failures in International football. I think it's more likely they are extremely overrated by their own far reaching media (and always have been I may add). They have a couple fo great players but the majority of the team are fairly average International footballers that wouldn't get into any of the top sides in Europe.
    Last edited by youngirish; 18/06/2008 at 9:03 AM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Finnan appears to be waiting on a move before he decides if he wants to play for Ireland.
    The manager should ask players to reconsider their position but leave it at that. He has done that so it is up to the players now, so let's move on with the players who are interested and try and put together a team that will play for each other and qualify for S.A.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast