Fifa rankings released

Dropped one place to 42nd
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I guess the only way is up. Some of the teams above us are no where near us. Anyway 42nd is down to bad management. No doubt Trap will bring us back up where we belong.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Cue EalingGreen to drill down our throats how great the North are doing.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Cue EalingGreen to drill down our throats how great the North are doing.
    No good in been in the position they are if there not getting too major championships.

Would not loose my sleep over it one bit.

Rather be 200 in the world and get to South Africa then been in top ten and fail to Qualify.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I agree with the sentiment Hibernian, but the fact is, the higher our ranking, the higher seed we are going to be for our qualification groups, so it does have a direct impact on the chances of us getting to tournaments. Hopefully we can improve our rank significantly over the coming qualifying campaign (a win over Italy would certainly help :P).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    With few teams below us competing in Euro 2008, we're not going to fall too far in the next few months, by comparison I'd imagine England will drop to 13th after the Championships end
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    anyone care to explain how argentina are top for the last year or so having not got past a world cup quarter final since 1990 and not won the copa america since 1993? i think its fair to say the rankings in general are pretty flawed.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saint morrissey View Post
    anyone care to explain how argentina are top for the last year or so having not got past a world cup quarter final since 1990 and not won the copa america since 1993? i think its fair to say the rankings in general are pretty flawed.
    I agree the rankings are pure drivel. The method for calculating them could best be described as flawed and at worst wholly inaccurate. Also FIFA seem to alter the way they're calculated and what matches are actually used to calculate them every few years which futher undermines any confidence I may have had in them.

Performances in the World Cup Finals and the various International tournaments hosted by the different football associations on the four main footballing continents (Europe , South America, Africa and Asia) are the only way to judge the relative merits and weaknesses of teams imo. Some friendly wins at high altitude in South America with both teams playing their reserve sides should definitely not be given any credence.
    Last edited by youngirish; 04/06/2008 at 1:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Serb View Post
    I agree with the sentiment Hibernian, but the fact is, the higher our ranking, the higher seed we are going to be for our qualification groups, so it does have a direct impact on the chances of us getting to tournaments. Hopefully we can improve our rank significantly over the coming qualifying campaign (a win over Italy would certainly help :P).
    I dont think there is much of a difference being 2nd seed or 3rd seeds as the 2nd and 3rd seeds are more or less the same standard anyway. Obviously it would be great to be top seeds as you would avoid the big guns in the qualifying campaign. Last time we were top seeds we got Russia and Switzerland and still did'nt qualify.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Although I agree that the rankings are flawed we can't really argue with our current position. We haven't beaten a decent team in a competitive match in 7 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    We play Serbia(31st) and Colombia(19th) at the time and yet, we do not lose to them, we beat a team in 19th and yet we still go down and North play no one again and seem to be going up every ranking.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I think the last group of rankings updates is based on a larger time period, no?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    I agree the rankings are pure drivel. The method for calculating them could best be described as flawed and at worst wholly inaccurate. Also FIFA seem to alter the way they're calculated and what matches are actually used to calculate them every few years which futher undermines any confidence I may have had in them.

Performances in the World Cup Finals and the various International tournaments hosted by the different football associations on the four main footballing continents (Europe , South America, Africa and Asia) are the only way to judge the relative merits and weaknesses of teams imo. Some friendly wins at high altitude in South America with both teams playing their reserve sides should definitely not be given any credence.
    i'd agree the old ranking system was a balls (czechs and usa constantly being in the top 10 etc). but the new rankings seem to give a pretty accurate respresentation. friendly wins are worth a lot less than competitve matches for instance.

Ireland will go up in rankings the further when those 4 loses in a row in 2006 (chile, holland germany, cyprus) are weighted less.
    Fifa ranking will be used in part to work out the seeding for the groups in south africa 2010 (if we qualify). However uefa have recently come up with their own rankings for seedings for uefa european championships. the new uefa system disregards friendlies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    According to ELO, we are 30th, ahead of Scotland, Ivory Coast and Serbia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Whats ELO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Whats ELO?
    An early 90's band, a reincarnation of biggles of "video killed the radio star" fame
    Last edited by centre mid; 04/06/2008 at 9:55 PM. Reason: qualifying response
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdomkerry View Post
    Whats ELO?
    It's an alternative rating based on a statistical formula, similar to how chess ratings are calculated. Devised by Professor Elo. Though I don't think it weights competitions and friendlies.

Edit - it does, apologies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    Although I agree that the rankings are flawed we can't really argue with our current position. We haven't beaten a decent team in a competitive match in 7 years.
    Exactly. We just about beat San Marino and got our arses handed to us by Cyprus, we are lucky we are in the top 100 let alone top 50. Good news is we can only improve!!!
    Help something bit me!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    With few teams below us competing in Euro 2008, we're not going to fall too far in the next few months, by comparison I'd imagine England will drop to 13th after the Championships end
    More like 15th.

Quote Originally Posted by saint morrissey View Post
    They will drop to 6th in July.

Probable top 50 -> link.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    According to ELO, we are 30th, ahead of Scotland, Ivory Coast and Serbia.
    Interesting. Anyone up for working out our expected score (and those of our rivals) in the World Cup qualifiers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast