Thread: Bray Wanderers 5 - 3 Athlone Town

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

Bray Wanderers 5 - 3 Athlone Town

fai.ie

Bray Wanderers kept up their chase for promotion when eventually seeing off the challenge of a plucky Athlone Town 5-3 in Sunday's eight goal First Division thriller at the Carlisle Ground with new signing Robbie McGuinness making victory certain with the last kick of the game.

Last time these two teams met was a fortnight ago when Bray triumphed 6-3 at the same venue in the second round of the FAI Carlsberg Cup. That's 17 goals in two games - no complaints from the fans after those scoring exploits.

Finn Harps, Kildare County and Dublin City remain joint top of the table. However this latest narrow victory, their ninth league win of the season, moves Bray to within two points of the leaders and in the right mood for next Friday's FAI Carlsberg Cup third round tie at home to Waterford United.

Bray were on top right from the start when Zayed accepted a pass from Colm Tresson who then skipped past two defenders only to see his shot rebound off the far upright to safety. Then Bray had appeals for a penalty turned down by Dublin referee Pat Whelan after Athlone defender Shane Jackson appeared to take down Zayed.

But the big Bray striker eventually broke the deadlock on 18 minutes folllowing a corner by Paul Forsyth on the right. Jody Lynch had a header blocked on the line but there was Irish Under 20 international Zayed to fire home the rebound from close range.

The Seagulls stretched the lead eight minutes later when a back-heel by Zayed was delected into the path of fellow striker John Flood. Showing great calmness, he coolly steered the ball into the corner of the net past advancing 'keeper Gary Connaughton.

The agony continued for Athlone when Bray added a third goal on 35 minutes when midfielder Colm James collected a loose ball in midfield, then made a vital burst forward and finished with a powerful low shot into the corner of the net from 22 yards.

After the home side wasted chances when Flood (twice) and Forsyth had efforts wide of the target, Athlone pulled a goal back on 55 minutes. Alan Kelly played a neat one-two with Stephen Kelly to allow Alan to shoot past advancing 'keeper Chris O'Connor.

Bray responded immediately with a fourth goal after John Flood was taken down by Ronan Frawley inside the box. Zayed made no mistake with the resulting penalty sending Connaughton the wrong way. To their credit Athlone refused to throw in the towel with substitute Eric Molloy volleying home from 15 yards after a cross from the right by Stephen Gavin on 66 minutes.

And Athlone made it nerve-biting final nine minutes for the home supporters when striker Martin Reilly took advantage of hesitancy in the Bray defence to slot his shot home for the Midlanders third goal from 12 yards giving O'Connor no chance.

But Bray were to have the final say when former St. Patrick's Athletic man Robbie McGuinness burst through the middle to score his first goal for the club in the second minute of added time and complete a remarkable scoring glut.

Teams:
    Bray Wanderers: O'Connor; Tresson, Lynch, Charles, Ryan; McGuinness, James, Fox, Forsyth; Zayed, Flood.
    Subs: Long for Ryan (80 mins.), C.O'Brien for Flood (89 mins.).

Athlone Town: Connaughton; G.O'Brien, Jackson, Frawley, A.Kelly; S.Kelly, Gavin, Harney, Collins; Reilly, Mullan.
    Subs: Molloy for Harney (45 mins), McCann for Mullan (70 mins.), Holt for S.Kelly (72 mins.).

Referee: P Whelan (Dublin).
    Last edited by atfconline; 10/08/2003 at 8:14 PM.
    Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Changes

At least Jimmy is making the changes, all he has to do now to balance the side is replace a weak central defensive partnership of Frawley and Jackson with Shine and Hope.
    Also, start Molloy on the left wing, Gavin on the right with Harney and Kelly in the middle. The front two should be Mullin and McCann.

The team should read:
    Connaughton, O'Brien, A.Kelly, Shine, Hope, Harney, Gavin, S.Kelly, McCann, Mullan. Molloy,
    Subs from: Frawley, Jackson, Holt, Rush, Collins, Reilly, Sherlock.

What do people think?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Changes

Originally posted by Oh No

The team should read:
    Connaughton, O'Brien, A.Kelly, Shine, Hope, Harney, Gavin, S.Kelly, McCann, Mullan. Molloy,
    Subs from: Frawley, Jackson, Holt, Rush, Collins, Reilly, Sherlock.

What do people think?
    I was talking to a Kildare fan who was on a spying mission yesterday.
    Connaughton, Frawley and Harney cost them the game making schoolboy errors.
    I asked him about O'Brien and he said he impressed him going forward. He impressed me against Kildare too. Who is he, anyone any info ?

He said Athlone have to sort out their defence as Bray could have scored 8 or 9, even so Athlone could have got a result. Bray scored with the last kick of the game.
    Any condescension detected in this post is fully unintentional and is solely the perception of the reader. If I think you're an idiot, I'll tell you that. You won't need to intuit it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Ger O'Brien

Ger O'Brien is on loan from St Pats for the season.
    Full of confidence from the few games I've seen
    this season

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    its gonna be embarrassing applying for re-election two years in a row.
    "tight? he's the kinda guy that eats baked beans on tuesday so's he can have a bubble bath on wednesday"!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is that all you have to say??????

Originally posted by parnell ranger
    its gonna be embarrassing applying for re-election two years in a row.
    Is this what you are resigned to?????

What's your opinion? Surely you have more to say?
    It's not too late for this underachieving team!!!! They are capable of a hell of a lot better.

Surely now the club needs to take a bit of professional action.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    " Is this what you are resigned to????? "

Yes for sure,just look at our record,one win,conceded 14 goals in 3 games?
    Wake up and get a dose of reality.
    we will be applying for re-election .
    As for under achieving?
    If you read any of my recent posts i never expected anything different.
    I stated quite clearly that the new stadium should be number 1 priority and it is.
    I see the future of the Town in our youth set up which is being over hauled and will definitely bear fruit in time for our move to the new stadium.
    The current locals in our squad are very average including those you are clamouring for.
    We are in a far stronger position future-wise than any other first division club and a few premier as well.

"tight? he's the kinda guy that eats baked beans on tuesday so's he can have a bubble bath on wednesday"!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    But are we Parnell?

I have grave douths about the new stadium happening. 3 Million
    Euro is a hell of a lot to raise. I know we only need to raise 1 Mill(thats 20,000 of these sods of turf ) for the first phase but even still I can't see us getting anything near that and the stadium bing ready by the start of next season which is only 8 months away.

As for the players , we 've always have fairly good youth teams but it's difficult for a number of reasons to bring good youth players through to the LOI.

I wish I could share your optimism and I hope that I am wrong, I think if anyone can get the thing together Tom Burke is the man but the amount to raise is a hell of a lot. If it can be done it will set us up as a leading LOI side in terms of facilities etc.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    it will be done.
    it has to be done.
    i wonder how the sod sale is goin?
    anyone hear anything?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Parnell Ranger : you say-
    "I see the future of the Town in our youth set up which is being over hauled and will definitely bear fruit in time for our move to the new stadium. "

Theres no way the current overhaul of the youth system will bear fruit for the opening of the new stadium which is scheduled for the begining of next season. I'm not the only one who needs a dose of reality.

Regarding my posts, I am an ATFC supporter for many years and I'm sure I speak for most of the current supporters when I comment on the underachievement of this years current squad. P

The policy for this year which includes a licence to lose and to finish last is not good enough. Two hundred people watching home games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's suicidal regardless of the long term plans, but as usual ATFC are totally unprofessional and will do nothing about it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Do u honestly expect the new stadium to be ready next year?
    not a hope.
    not for 3 years at least.
    As for our youth not being ready by then.
    where do u think alan kelly john molloy etc have come from?

im sure that most supporters would rather see the club secure in a new ground with a good youth structure in place than attempting a quick fire return given the current state of the club.
    B.T.W. ive been going to stMels since the late sixties and i think i know the difference between under achieving and not good enough.
    cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Thumbs down agree

I agree with Parnell Ranger. Im probably just being pessamistic
    but I cant see the stadium ready for next season.

As for the structure, I also agree. Id prefer for Town to get
    promoted when the club, both on and off the pitch, are ready
    to be a Premier Division Club and not just go up and then be
    dumped back down straight away.