Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: v Dublin City

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

v Dublin City

John Gill has been hit with the news that two of the most impressive players in City colours this season Terry Gleeson and Robbie Farrell are to miss the next few weeks due to injury.

Whats the story on Purdy and Keely?
    The terminator and Daisy picked up booking against Athlone they were both were booked for nothing, with Ben's reaction I think he could miss the game, were in trouble if he does.
    Any condescension detected in this post is fully unintentional and is solely the perception of the reader. If I think you're an idiot, I'll tell you that. You won't need to intuit it.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hi, I'm a girl from London, probably getting off to a bad start with that intro already. Don't know to much about footie (another good admission) in general, mostly use it as an excuse to drink more. Came across this site and found it interesting reading...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

and there was i thinking that Derry's new manager was logging on for tips from us.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Keely
    Don't know to much about footie (another good admission) in general, mostly use it as an excuse to drink more.
    You'd fit in very well with most of the people in the club bar
    Any condescension detected in this post is fully unintentional and is solely the perception of the reader. If I think you're an idiot, I'll tell you that. You won't need to intuit it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Can't wait for tonights match. The way County are playing, their is going to be plenty of goals. For some reason this is the game most Kildare supporters want to win at all costs. I'd say it's more to do with the name of the team, than a tradition between the clubs. The name Dublin to a Kildareman is like a red rag to a bull.

Dublin City are on an incredible run at the moment but it has to end sometime. If we lose we have to be happy with a play off place, a draw not the end of the world and a win could set us on the way to winning the league.

Its a crunch match, just hope it is as enjoyable as our first encounter this season in Whitehall.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Third meets top at Station Road

Third-placed Kildare County welcome First Division leaders Dublin City to Station Road in Newbridge on Saturday evening (7.30pm) in what is indisputably the match of the weekend in the division.

New County manager Eric Hannigan got off to the best possible start with a win over Athlone Town in his first match in charge of the Newbridge-based club, but Saturday brings an even bigger test for the man trying to fill Dermot Keely’s boots.

To add a little spice to the occasion, City boss John Gill was Keely’s assistant at Station Road last term.

The Whitehall residents are on a bit of a roll with five league wins on the spin propelling them to the summit. They have won six of their last seven league outings since losing 3-0 at home to Finn Harps.

Saturday’s clash also provides the Dubliners with the chance to avenge their only other league defeat, a 1-0 reverse at home to this weekend’s opponent’s back in May.

The Vikings have been most impressive on their travels, their seven away games bringing six wins and one draw, a 2-2 result in Galway.

If they are to maintain their winning streak, they will have do so without Terry Gleeson who is nursing an ankle injury, while a similar complaint could sideline striker Robbie Farrell.

Cathal O’Connor’s move from Newbridge to Whitehall will not be sanctioned until Monday, so he will have no part in this clash.

Kildare are unbeaten since the league resumed in early July, winning three times and drawing twice, while a 1-0 defeat by Bray Wanderers earlier in the season has been their only setback at home to date.

Former Dublin City player Alan McNevin has a slight hamstring tear and is Hannigan’s only injury worry.

Does anyone know the full story on Cotsy? our player of the season and last year Dublin City Player of the season.

It will be nice to see John Gill again at Station Road, great to see him doing so well. Don't be surpriesed if Premier clubs start sniffing around Whitehall

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    City full to the Gills with confidence

Kildare County v Dublin City

EIGHT months ago, Dermot Keely and John Gill wandered across the Station Road turf. They sat down, side by side, and wondered if they could still make the playoffs. In front of them, Kildare County were finishing out their final home game of what had been a relatively successful season.

In the end, neither play-offs nor promotion followed but the foundations were laid for a prosperous future. The same couldn’t be said of their derby-day opponents, Dublin City. They had thrown pitiful punches all season in an attempt to avoid bottom spot. How things have changed.

Gill now returns to Newbridge as boss of a Dublin side that amazingly, sits in pole position in the promotion race. Still under-supported but now successful, Saturday’s tie could bring City and Gill closer to the impossible.

“To be honest, there is no secret to what I’ve done with Dublin. I wish there was because I could then do it week in, week out. It’s just all down to hard work on both my part and on the part of the players. I put in the same effort I did in Kildare and throughout my career and I demand a lot of my team.

“I brought in a brand-new squad here, and the type of player I went for guaranteed that the commitment would be shown. If you look at the team, bar one or two, there aren’t any big names there. I brought in guys that had been let go by other clubs or come up from the lower ranks and they all had something to prove. They are now in the process of proving it.

“In saying that though, I have to admit I am surprised that we are where we are. There are some big clubs in this division, with big names and bigger budgets and so on. The likes of Bray, Harps, and Kildare, too. I guess coming into the season, the ambition was to stay out of the bottom three and that would have been progression.

“When I took the job, I said it would take me two years to get things moving. I always wanted to go into management. I’m just surprised how quickly it came about and I’m equally surprised with the early success. All of a sudden, my aim is to make the play-offs. With our performances, our consistency and the situation we’re in now, we deserve it and it’s very achievable.”

Gill looks forward with an enthusiasm and expectation that would have been laughed at in the past but he still looks back on his time with the Thoroughbreds with fondness. “I had a great time at Kildare but people have to move on and I guess by that reasoning, I’m not surprised at Dermot. It was always just a matter of time before a Premier Division club came in for him and with his personal situation, Derry was perfect. However, I was surprised that the club didn’t have him under contract.”

Had Gill remained as number two in Kildare a little longer, the likeli-hood is he would now be in the hot seat. However, he has turned his new chair into an even hotter hold and he has no regrets about his move. “Maybe if I remained I’d now be in charge but there is no guarantee I would have been a success. I was given a clean canvass to work with here and I was free to be artistically creative.

“I was actually offered the Kildare job a couple of weeks ago but it wouldn’t have been my team. It was Dermot’s. With no disrespect meant, there were a few players brought in that wouldn’t have been on my list. Also, I didn’t want to do what Dermot did and leave a club mid-season. Maybe if things hadn’t gone so well here it might have been a different story but that’s not the case now.”

And what of the new man? It will be Eric Hannigan’s first time under the local micro-scope but Gill was pleased by his appointment. “I played against Eric and he was a fantastic player. If he’s as good a manager, he’ll be a huge success. It’s a bold move on County’s behalf and it’ll either be a huge success or the complete opposite. I don’t think there’s any real middle ground.

“But I for one am glad to see him there. Dinosaurs dominate the managerial system here in the Eircom League. I compare it to a magic roundabout. It’s hard to get on and even harder to get off and fresh blood is most welcome and hopefully he can bring fresh ideas and a different way of doing things.”

All that good wishing probably doesn’t apply to Saturday night but Gill is relishing the prospect of returning to Station Road. “Our away record is fantastic. We’ve won six on our travels and drawn one. We enjoy playing in grounds with good atmospheres, which is something we don’t really have at the moment. I recognise the fact that the pitch down there is small and defending will more often than not get you a point but we didn’t achieve what we have by playing negative football.

“We want to consolidate our position and we won’t do that by dropping points. I’m really looking forward to the game and seeing a lot of old friends while I’m down there.”

As regards the game, old friends may well cancel each other out.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What a night!!!!!!!! One of the best ever in Station Road.
    Our lads played brilliant in the first half with some excellent football while Marc Kennys goal was fantastic.

Then jim O'Neill took over as he usually does and proceeded to give the most disgraceful display of refereeing I have ever seen.(Even worse than last years game against Athlone)

The sending off of Marc Kenny was a joke while the petty frees and 7 (yes SEVEN) minutes of injury time were just downright ludicrous.

Well done our lads and well done the supporters. The passion at the end was long overdue in Station Road.

If we had 11 men in the second half I think we could have given Dublin a right hiding. Anyway 3 points and joint top.

Happy days.