Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: New Homegrown Players Rules

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

New Homegrown Players Rules

http://www.sportinglife.com/football...FIFA_Lead.html

This would have a huge affect on our league if it came in. Do ye think it would be good? We would probably keep some of the good iIrish players instead of having them move to england when they get good. Transfers like kevin doyle,roy odonovan and mccourt(if he goes to west brom) wouldn't happen. I know Sligo rovers have a lot of foreign players so it would make a huge difference to the likes of us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    "UEFA defines "home-grown players" as team members who, regardless of age or nationality, have been trained by their club or by another club in the National Association for at least three years between the ages of 15 and 21."

I find this part the most interesting. It means that Irish youngsters who sign for english clubs at the age of 15/16/17 will be classed as home grown players in england by the time they are old enough / good enough to play on the first team.

Makes me think if we could somehow keep our players at home until they are 18 the EPL clubs will be less likely to want them as they wont be "home grown". This could only help Irish football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdomkerry View Post
    Makes me think if we could somehow keep our players at home until they are 18 the EPL clubs will be less likely to want them as they wont be "home grown". This could only help Irish football.
    That would be the hard part though. But also the rule would effect England so it would balance the amount of players they can take at a young age.

The best way around this for our league is to improve the league and ensure we can keep players here for longer. We would realistically need to have players playing full time for all clubs in top flight here.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    We would realistically need to have players playing full time for all clubs in top flight here.
    This is going to be so hard to sustain when attendances are so low. If there is going to be a fully professional league in Ireland the people are going to have to support it. A lot of clubs seem to be in a very bad state financially or will be in the near future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdomkerry View Post
    "UEFA defines "home-grown players" as team members who, regardless of age or nationality, have been trained by their club or by another club in the National Association for at least three years between the ages of 15 and 21."

I find this part the most interesting. It means that Irish youngsters who sign for english clubs at the age of 15/16/17 will be classed as home grown players in england by the time they are old enough / good enough to play on the first team.

Will the English clubs not just take in more players at a younger age then?
    Before the LOI sees these players at all, they'll all be whipped onto the ferry for England.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SligoBrewer View Post
    Will the English clubs not just take in more players at a younger age then?
    Before the LOI sees these players at all, they'll all be whipped onto the ferry for England.
    I don't quite understand what you mean. How would that be possible? It's not like there would be secret schoolboy leagues that only English scouts would know about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I don't see it affecting our league too much.

Even if players stay here, clubs would be spend more on recruiting young players but the coaching and training won't have improved. The fans will still support English clubs + Celtic.

Also, I'm pretty sure the EU will insist on the definition of "foreign" being someone who doesn't have an EU passport.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    I don't quite understand what you mean. How would that be possible? It's not like there would be secret schoolboy leagues that only English scouts would know about.
    Well he has a point to a degree if junior clubs still pride themselves on how many players they can ship out of the country each year.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    "Football's world governing body has voted in favour of the 'six-plus-five rule', which would put a limit on the number of foreign players each team could field."

Clubs can have as many foreigners as they like in their squad so I can't see this having a major effect on things, especially by the time EU trade law have had their say in it.

Although I am hoping we can get some of the better Irish players returning to boost the ELOI.
    "We didn't underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amjl View Post
    "Football's world governing body has voted in favour of the 'six-plus-five rule', which would put a limit on the number of foreign players each team could field."

Clubs can have as many foreigners as they like in their squad so I can't see this having a major effect on things, especially by the time EU trade law have had their say in it.

Yeah but if ya can't have them on the FIELD whats the point in having them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovers fan View Post
    Yeah but if ya can't have them on the FIELD whats the point in having them?
    Obviously for the same reason as having any squad player; to cover for injuries & suspensions
    "We didn't underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amjl View Post

Although I am hoping we can get some of the better Irish players returning to boost the ELOI.
    What you will see though is any young Irish player who has aspirations of playing in england go over and do a 3 year "apprentiship" to ensure he has options in the future and to increase his value.

3 years where he could be playing at home. You could argue that they are doing that anyway, but it could limit the player pool for Irish clubs while these guys are in england. Players will not come home if it jepeordises they're "homegrown" status. Instead they will drop to lower leagues in england rather than come home.

This rule benefits lower league english clubs rather than Irish clubs.