Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post
    me too
    and so would I.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    if given getting dropped means that he finally extricates himself from the career graveyard that is NUFC, then i for one will be an extremely happy man.

he's a far better keeper than harper. a fit given is one of the top 10 keepers in the world without a doubt. harper is nowhere near that level, good keeper that he is.

given is the prime example of a player who was let loyalty to a club overrule personal ambition. tends to be very common with irish players who seem more reluctant than other nationalities in terms of pushing to play at the very highest level possible that their talent permits. other examples.... kenny cunningham wasting the best years of his career at wimbledon in the championship, gary breen turning down barcelona and inter milan to play for west ham.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ofjames View Post
    gary breen turning down barcelona and inter milan to play for west ham.
    I know cash strapped Parma were keen but Inter & Barca is news to me....

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    if given getting dropped means that he finally extricates himself from the career graveyard that is NUFC, then i for one will be an extremely happy man.

he's a far better keeper than harper. a fit given is one of the top 10 keepers in the world without a doubt. harper is nowhere near that level, good keeper that he is.

given is the prime example of a player who was let loyalty to a club overrule personal ambition. tends to be very common with irish players who seem more reluctant than other nationalities in terms of pushing to play at the very highest level possible that their talent permits. other examples.... kenny cunningham wasting the best years of his career at wimbledon in the championship, gary breen turning down barcelona and inter milan to play for west ham.
    He handed in a transfer request the last time he was dropped, but won his place back. He will be playing in Spain in a couple of years time. He has stayed, IMO, because Newcastle have a new manager almost every season, which brings new hope, new expectations, and some players who love the club they're at so much and want so bad to win something with them.

Who are your top 10 keepers in the world btw?
    Thursdays are Oriel.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulie_walnuts View Post
    He handed in a transfer request the last time he was dropped, but won his place back. He will be playing in Spain in a couple of years time. He has stayed, IMO, because Newcastle have a new manager almost every season, which brings new hope, new expectations, and some players who love the club they're at so much and want so bad to win something with them.

Who are your top 10 keepers in the world btw?
    i didnt have a definitive list in mind to be honest. but i rate him up there with cech, buffon and cassilas. if you look at some of the biggest clubs around in the champions league, id take Shay over the following any day of the week

barca - valdes
    milan - dida
    liverpool - reina
    arsenal - almunia
    inter - cesar
    roma - doni
    sevilla - palop

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    i didnt have a definitive list in mind to be honest. but i rate him up there with cech, buffon and cassilas. if you look at some of the biggest clubs around in the champions league, id take Shay over the following any day of the week

barca - valdes
    milan - dida
    liverpool - reina
    arsenal - almunia
    inter - cesar
    roma - doni
    sevilla - palop
    I watched the Canada vs Brazil friendly the other day, and Cesar was absolutely brutal.

Probably the worst professional keeper I've ever seen when it came to catching crosses into the box.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Was talking to a Newcastle fan (from Newcastle) last week about Given.
    He reckoned that they'd be prepared to sell Given for a number of reasons.

Firstly they need the money if they are to have a decent transfer budget.
    Also it looks like an optimum time to sell as there are a good few Premier League teams looking to buy a first choice goalkeeper. Villa, Middlesborough and Spurs were 3 teams that sprung to mind.

Secondly Harper is as good a replacement as you'd get. Many fans think he may be better than Given.

Thirdly theres a young keeper called Fraser Forster who is very highly thought of who is supposedly good enough to provide cover for Harper.

A move to Villa or Spurs would be a step up from Newcastle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenderloins View Post

Also it looks like an optimum time to sell as there are a good few Premier League teams looking to buy a first choice goalkeeper. Villa, Middlesborough and Spurs were 3 teams that sprung to mind.

Secondly Harper is as good a replacement as you'd get. Many fans think he may be better than Given.

Thirdly theres a young keeper called Fraser Forster who is very highly thought of who is supposedly good enough to provide cover for Harper.

What do you call this? Something about ....when the horse is down....the phrase escapes me, but Given has been voted in the PFA team of the season twice in his career. Everytime Harper has gotten a chance, Given has eventually taken back the number one shirt. If Harper was better, Given would be the one sitting on the bench for all these years.

There is no way Newcastle fans can just say Harper is better after (according to wikipedia) just over 70 games.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenderloins View Post

I wouldnt particularly take the word of any Newcastle fan on anything to do with football,they seem to be as a collective the least knowledgable of any football fans.The fact that they look upon Kevin Keegan as the Messiah,even though he has never won anything, should be proof enough.
    Harper is a good keeper and he does deserve to be first choice keeper at some club but Shay Given is on a different level to him. As has been said already,the 2 keepers have been at Newcastle for long enough under a number of different managers and Shay Given has been first choice for the vast majority of that time
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I wouldnt particularly take the word of any Newcastle fan on anything to do with football,they seem to be as a collective the least knowledgable of any football fans.The fact that they look upon Kevin Keegan as the Messiah,even though he has never won anything, should be proof enough.
    Harper is a good keeper and he does deserve to be first choice keeper at some club but Shay Given is on a different level to him. As has been said already,the 2 keepers have been at Newcastle for long enough under a number of different managers and Shay Given has been first choice for the vast majority of that time
    Harper is a geordie, that colours their thinking, and yes you won't find a thicker lot of football fans on the planet.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    I do believe that Given is a good goalkeeper but even using your own argument these different managers have had doubts about him .Amittedly he has always managed to reclaim the number 1 spot.Having said that none of the big four have ever made any effort to sign him even when there have been times when they have been in the market to replace what would appear to be lesser goalkeepers[man utd before van der saar,arsenal now,liverpool for quite a few years,fair enough chelsea have 1 very good goalkeeper and a good backup.hard to believe that cudicinni could not be a number 1 at a big club on very good wages.I wonder will he look back in a few years and regret wasting some of the best years of his career sitting on the bench at chelsea.I suppose he will just look at his bank balance.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That is a ridiculous comment! How are they the least knowledgeable football fans? If u supported a club and they were on the brink of relegation to the old second division and within 3 seasons the manager had u finishing 2nd in the premier league i think you would be quite fond of that manager too!

Shay Given handed in a transfer request a few yrs back and the only way he got back in to the team was an injury to harper! Given had a MOTM display against leeds and went on to set a record for the number of continous appearances! The fact that he never got injured until these last two yrs meant harper did not have a chance to get back in!

Fraser Forster is a good back up keeper for harper but we also had a keeper on loan at Fakirk last yr who is the dutch under 21 keeper, tim Krul! Italian scouts have labelled him the next Buffon and he is very highly thought of!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

barca - valdes
    milan - dida
    liverpool - reina
    arsenal - almunia
    inter - cesar
    roma - doni
    sevilla - palop
    I consider Shay Given one of the most gifted keepers too ever play in the premiership but i wouldnt rate him as a better keeper than reina. but he is a better keeper thanthe rest of them though.
    Coleman for Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    If given is fit, he deserves the no. 1 jersey.
    Cant see how any irish fan could build an arguement against that given his performances for us over the last 10 years.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    What do you call this? Something about ....when the horse is down....the phrase escapes me, but Given has been voted in the PFA team of the season twice in his career. Everytime Harper has gotten a chance, Given has eventually taken back the number one shirt. If Harper was better, Given would be the one sitting on the bench for all these years.

There is no way Newcastle fans can just say Harper is better after (according to wikipedia) just over 70 games.
    Harper is, of course, a Geordie.

Apparently Arsenal are offersing 3.5 million for Given. A steal for goalkeeper of his class.

Keegan has never been one to invest in defence, and will probably start selling off defenders and Given, apparently, to go out and buy a load of Tino Asprillas.

Given must be worth about 10 points a season at NUFC, could see them going down without him.
    Last edited by brine3; 08/06/2008 at 6:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Would be an absolute savage move for Given, would he be first choice ahead of Almunia? And Wenger definitely considers Fabianski one for the future, but Given could easily have 3-5 years with Arsenal, which would more than likely include Champions' League games in every season
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    Harper is, of course, a Geordie.

Apparently Arsenal are offersing 3.5 million for Given. A steal for goalkeeper of his class.

Keegan has never been one to invest in defence, and will probably start selling off defenders and Given, apparently, to go out and buy a load of Tino Asprillas.

Given must be worth about 10 points a season at NUFC, could see them going down without him.
    Keegan is'nt a complete nutter!! Even in 1996 we had the 3rd best defensive record in the league. At Man city he helped Richard Dunne a lot while he was also responsible for the signing of Distin to the best of my knowledge!

He realises this may be his weakest area so he has hired stuart pearce for man city and this yr hired hughton to sort out the defense which he has done!

As for buying a host of tino asprilla's maybe he will by a load of phillip albert's (one of the classest defenders in the premiership at the time)

As for Given to Arsenal, i would be devastated to see him go! He is treated like a god in Newcastle and the reception he gets as he approaches the goal before a match is unbelievable! I definitly would be sorry to see him go! However, i would not be surprised if he left as ashley seems to be intent on cutting wage bill! We also have some very good cover so it would not be the strangest decision in the world although i thought u'd get at least 6m 4 him

As an Irish fan i think this would be a great move for him!! He is unbelievably consistent and i think he is the best keeper in the premiership! Somebody said that reina was better than given? Try to remember the last time shay made a mistake? U will probably have to go as far back as the dion dublin incident! The one thing he is brutal at is saving penalties...reina wins hands down in that dept

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligofan4ever View Post
    I consider Shay Given one of the most gifted keepers too ever play in the premiership but i wouldnt rate him as a better keeper than reina. but he is a better keeper thanthe rest of them though.
    Reina is crap, there's at least a dozen keepers in the Premiership better than him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    Reina is crap, there's at least a dozen keepers in the Premiership better than him.
    that's a massive sweeping statement, Reina has kept the most clean sheets in the Premiership for 3 seasons in a row, and reached 50 clean sheets faster than any keeper in Liverpool history. He's one of the best keepers in the Premiership.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    that's a massive sweeping statement, Reina has kept the most clean sheets in the Premiership for 3 seasons in a row, and reached 50 clean sheets faster than any keeper in Liverpool history. He's one of the best keepers in the Premiership.

Ah come on Tets, stats don't tell the whole story though. Reina is a decent shot-stopper (no more) but is incredibly dodgy at coming for crosses. Even without the green-tinted specs on, I'd still rate Given as a far more accomplished keeper than Reina. If he had that Liverpool defence in front of him the whole time he'd have a hell of a lot more clean sheets...
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast