Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Kilbane to Retire?

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    and watch out how far hes off his line when in goals which is about as often as he plays full back!
    He played as full back alot at Wigan last season
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    and watch out how far hes off his line when in goals which is about as often as he plays full back!
    eh....well its the only position that he'd be of any use to us at the moment. He won't get in the team ahead Duff, McGeady or Hunt on the wing. Shouldn't be allowed anywhere near CM ahead of Carsley, the 2 Reids, Whelan, my granny, Potter, Garvan....the list could go on and on...so really he's only useful as a stand-in fullback because we're pretty bloody desperate in that position!
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ogba View Post
    eh....well its the only position that he'd be of any use to us at the moment. He won't get in the team ahead Duff, McGeady or Hunt on the wing. Shouldn't be allowed anywhere near CM ahead of Carsley, the 2 Reids, Whelan, my granny, Potter, Garvan....the list could go on and on...so really he's only useful as a stand-in fullback because we're pretty bloody desperate in that position!
    Your granny must be brilliant if shes ahead of Garvan in that list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    He played as full back alot at Wigan last season
    and was singled out as one of the main reasons they stayed up by steve bruce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    and was singled out as one of the main reasons they stayed up by steve bruce
    I wasnt critisizing him, was just making the point since u said that he doesnt play there regularly. I do think he will start the qualifiers in that position for us

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    whelan, potter (looking to be offloaded by wolves) and garvan (hasnt even 1 cap!) i wont even waste my time commenting on but what on earth has steven reid done in an Irish shirt to be even considered for a place in our ctre mid (provided he's even fit)?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Steven Reid is an Irish player with a physique we are severely lacking in, playing well and regularly in a position we have no depth in, for a club in a league of high standard..... It's a no brainer really. Or have I missed your point???
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    whelan, potter (looking to be offloaded by wolves) and garvan (hasnt even 1 cap!) i wont even waste my time commenting on but what on earth has steven reid done in an Irish shirt to be even considered for a place in our ctre mid (provided he's even fit)?
    are you actually saying that you would have Kilbane at CM ahead of these guys? Have you actually seen him play there? and does the fact that Garvan hasn't even 1 cap discount him from ever being picked in the future? I have seen Garvan play a few times now for both our u21s and Ipswich and can tell you right now that he will be a mainstay in Ireland's midfield for a long time to come...

As for Steven Reid, he hasn't even had the chance to play in his favoured CM position for Ireland through injury. He was earmarked by Bobby Robson to play there at the start of the last campaign but got injured after (or during?) the Germany match.
    You have strange reasoning...he hasn't done anything at CM in an Ireland shirt because he hasn't had a chance at CM in a Ireland shirt but by your reasoning because he hasn't had a chance there he hasn't earned a chance to play there, even though he plays there for his club (and quite well by all accounts)....
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Your granny must be brilliant if shes ahead of Garvan in that list
    ah sure you should see the zimmer-frame trickery...its pretty impressive!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts

Exclamation

steven reid because of the standard that he plays at appears to have the credentials to play centre midfield for us but as you say he has never played any number of consecutive games or for that matter outstanding performances for us probably through injury.He has been around for a long time at this stage and I cannot see him turning out for ireland often enough to make a significant contribution.I would love to be wrong but it would be interesting to see his actual minutes on the field for ireland in the last six years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    are you actually saying that you would have Kilbane at CM ahead of these guys? Have you actually seen him play there?
    and i'd ask you have you seen whelan and potter play for Ireland recently? hardly international class at all

garvan is unproven and after the build up he's been given here for the last 2 or 3 years he'd need to step up to the plate pretty quick.

how could anyone here tout steven reid for ctre mid for us given we've never seen him play there at international level? i was hoping that his impressive cameos at wc 2002 were a sign of things to come from him but he's been around 7 yrs at this stage and has done nothing in an Irish shirt. how many caps does he even have at this stage?
    i think some are wanting him to be the solution of our ctre mid problems rather than believing that he is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    and i'd ask you have you seen whelan and potter play for Ireland recently? hardly international class at all
    Yes I have seen both play quite a bit actually (for both club and country) and while hardly setting the world alight I can categorically state that they would definitely offer more to the team (like, lets say, ability to pass the ball) than Kilbane would at CM. And in Whelan's case its just unfortunate that he had to play on his debut alongside one of the worst/laziest ever midfielders to pull on an Irish shirt (Liam Miller), so that didn't really help his cause.

how could anyone here tout steven reid for ctre mid for us given we've never seen him play there at international level? i was hoping that his impressive cameos at wc 2002 were a sign of things to come from him but he's been around 7 yrs at this stage and has done nothing in an Irish shirt. how many caps does he even have at this stage?
    i think some are wanting him to be the solution of our ctre mid problems rather than believing that he is
    you seem to be repeating your point here so I'll just repeat my previous point - he hasn't had a run at CM due to injury. the same could be said of Andy Reid a couple of years back then he got his chance at CM and is now considered vital to our qualification chances.
    The reason people are touting Steven Reid is due to the fact that he has the attributes (speed, stamina, strength, box-to-box type player) to complement Andy Reid in the centre. And, as we can both agree, we're not exactly flush with talent in this area of the park...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Steven Reid has had a few chances to play in CM for Ireland and frankly I don't think he has taken them. If I were manager he really wouldn't be a player I would bank on to be available due to constant injuries so he would only be a bit player for me like he has been for Ireland all his career. It's a pity but that's the reality, he really was an exciting prospect when he came on the scene before the WC in 02 but hasn't realy built on that at all with Ireland.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345