Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Kilbane to Retire?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurphyc View Post
    The first line there suggests that you thought he played as a full back a lot in the last campaign, seeing as you were continually talking about his performances in that campaign. You might want to think before you write posts if you don't want to be pulled up on them as you do seem to be backtracking on your statements frequently.

By the way, you also might want to edit your last post as there's so swearing allowed on this message board.
    I know from watching the Irish football team jmurphy where he played over the past few years. He was used in central midfield and on the wing but he was used in the fullback position or dropped in there at times. I was talkiing about Kilbane in general over the past 11 years as an international and I said I don't rate him.

Thanks for the other thing BTW
    With a squad made up of players like Green, McShocking and Kilbad we are going places. Down the gutter.........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,340 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShamrockIreland View Post
    He was used in central midfield and on the wing but he was used in the fullback position or dropped in there at times. I was talkiing about Kilbane in general over the past 11 years as an international and I said I don't rate him.
    I can only remember him starting at left full against Cyprus at home, and Brazil in February
    We have better players in the squad, but Kilbane is a decent squad player. Without him, our midfield would have an average height of about 5"8, and Richard Dunne would be the only threat from set pieces
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Without him, our midfield would have an average height of about 5"8, and Richard Dunne would be the only threat from set pieces
    I'd include Doyle as a threat from set pieces as well. He's arguably our greatest threat from them.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,340 Posts
    I'd include Doyle as a threat from set pieces as well. He's arguably our greatest threat from them.
    Fair enough, but when was the last time you saw Doyle as the target from a free kick or throw in? Every single kick out against Germany seemed to go to Kilbane's head, without him, there was no target in midfield.
    For me, using Murphy as the target from the throw in that led to Keogh's equaliser against Serbia was one of the signs of improvement already from Trapattoni. Doyle mentioned the work being done on set pieces in an interview during the trip to Portugal as well.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Fair enough, but when was the last time you saw Doyle as the target from a free kick or throw in? Every single kick out against Germany seemed to go to Kilbane's head, without him, there was no target in midfield.
    For me, using Murphy as the target from the throw in that led to Keogh's equaliser against Serbia was one of the signs of improvement already from Trapattoni. Doyle mentioned the work being done on set pieces in an interview during the trip to Portugal as well.
    A change in our set piece play is much needed and I'm so happy that Trapattoni got to work on it straight away. I've mentioned rewatching the Slovakia away game loads of times but during that game every goal kick and long throw in was aimed for either Kilbane or Doyle. We were incredibly predictable on this front and it's a welcome change. Even getting the basics like goal kicks and as Trapattoni has mentioned, throw ins right is essential. It could be the difference between a near miss and qualification for the finals.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShamrockIreland View Post
    Yes great everyone when mentioning Kilbane uses the Paris game as a great example of how brilliant he is. I was also referring to the home San Marino game never mentioned the away one though a certain lad who's not there scored the winner. I think the fella doesn't deserve the amount of caps given to him and thats that.

As for the scapegoat bit when he runs into fullbacks doesn't get the crosses in and generally doesn't do much in the final third of the pitch eventually you get tired of the same dross which he produces game after game. One in 10 he'll do something different. Who gave you the authority to be such a great footballing man. I'd say you were rallying behind Stan until the final moments even though we played one decent game away to Germany and one not bad at home to the Czechs in that campaign
    You're really just making yourself look foolish now, give it up......

Btw we were pretty poor away to Germany and lucky to get away with a 1-0.....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    You're really just making yourself look foolish now, give it up......

Btw we were pretty poor away to Germany and lucky to get away with a 1-0.....
    Here Lads lay off SI, he has a right to his opinion whether or not you(plural) agree with it or not no need to patronise. I don't rate kilbane as a great footballer either, but I like him and he gives 100%. I think thats what SI was saying also, indirectly maybe.

We were decent against Germany away in fairness, solid at least, though didn't show any real chance of scoring.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    just watch kilbane in his next game for us and you'll see how many times he's back in his own box clearing the ball with his head. priceless in our curremt squad

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    just watch kilbane in his next game for us and you'll see how many times he's back in his own box clearing the ball with his head. priceless in our curremt squad
    Great. How about watching how often he gets the ball and either passes it straight to the opposition, knocks it out of play, hoofs it aimlessly forward or runs into a blind alley whereby he finds himself dispossed? Kilbane is one of the main offenders of what's been at the very core of the lack of success that the Irish team has experienced over the past 6 years, an inability to retain possession of the ball and subsequently create openings for the forwards. A midfielder who can't distribute the ball to even a basic degree is a liability in most people's minds.

I respect Kilbane for giving 100% but he's a poor player in any sane person's mind and, as I've said for a long time, Ireland will go nowhere with the likes of Kilbane and O'Shea in the starting 11.

Fortunately I feel that Kilbane is no longer needed as we've better alternatives now in both the wide positions and the central midfield positions he's generally floated around since he achived his first cap. A replacement for O'Shea is unfortunately harder to find at the moment.
    Last edited by youngirish; 06/06/2008 at 11:27 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Here Lads lay off SI, he has a right to his opinion whether or not you(plural) agree with it or not no need to patronise. I don't rate kilbane as a great footballer either, but I like him and he gives 100%. I think thats what SI was saying also, indirectly maybe.

We were decent against Germany away in fairness, solid at least, though didn't show any real chance of scoring.
    I disagree, had we got a point we could have argued it was a good backs to the wall performance but we didn't and to be honest they over ran us, we owed Given big time that night for not getting stuffed.

Great trip though.....!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Great. How about watching how often he gets the ball and either passes it straight to the opposition, knocks it out of play, hoofs it aimlessly forward or runs into a blind alley whereby he finds himself dispossed? Kilbane is one of the main offenders of what's been at the very core of the lack of success that the Irish team has experienced over the past 6 years, an inability to retain possession of the ball and subsequently create openings for the forwards. A midfielder who can't distribute the ball to even a basic degree is a liability in most people's minds.

I respect Kilbane for giving 100% but he's a poor player in any sane person's mind and, as I've said for a long time, Ireland will go nowhere with the likes of Kilbane and O'Shea in the starting 11.

Fortunately I feel that Kilbane is no longer needed as we've better alternatives now in both the wide positions and the central midfield positions he's generally floated around since he achived his first cap. A replacement for O'Shea is unfortunately harder to find at the moment.
    a lot of your kilbane downpoints are well exaggerated. no one argues that he is a world class player and most would admit he is limited but he has to be judged against what we currently have available. when have we ever had a team of players who could hold onto the ball, easily go past players etc?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    I agree with your post but in fairness, Kilbane was part of a team that went "somewhere". He played in the World Cup for us and in the qualifying matches. But I agree, he's a limited player and whilst it may be worthwhile to have someone like him in the squad and as back up, he isn't good enough to get in to our starting line up. If the last two games are anything to go by, Trapattoni thinks this too (unless he didn't join up with the squad, but I'm pretty sure he did).
    Last edited by jmurphyc; 06/06/2008 at 1:05 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    a lot of your kilbane downpoints are well exaggerated. no one argues that he is a world class player and most would admit he is limited but he has to be judged against what we currently have available. when have we ever had a team of players who could hold onto the ball, easily go past players etc?
    I'm not expecting him to be as brilliant on the ball as the similar (in name only) Zidane but only to at least be half decent considering he's an International midfielder. He's possibly the least capable player we have at distributing a ball (I'd argue O'Shea runs him close but I can be more forgiving towards a defender than a midfielder in this regard.)

I reckon his days as a regular starter in an Ireland shirt are numbered anyway. It looks like as backup in central midfield even Whelan and Miller (neither of which I rate highly) will be considered ahead of him. Surely McGeady and Duff will be our preferred choice on the wings and Lawrence can be brought in on the right if we need some height if he's out performing Kilbane in the Premiership which I've no doubt he'll manage to do. S Ireland might also return and provide another option on the right (though he's better in the centre).

As for left back I can see Finnan, S Kelly and O'Shea all being considered for that role ahead of Kilbane (Foley will emerge as another candidate for the right back spot next season).
    Last edited by youngirish; 06/06/2008 at 1:03 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I agree with your post but in fairness, Kilbane was part of a that went "somewhere". He played in the World Cup for us and in the qualifying matches.
    True jmurphy but I believe we were more capable of getting away with his lack of any semblence of passing ability in that team than the current one considering almost everyone else was decent at distributing the ball (Carr/Finnan, Cunningham, Breen/Staunton, Harte, McAteer, Kinsella, Roy Keane, Robbie Keane, Quinn/Duff).

The current team incorporates a number of players who can't pass the ball to save their life - Kilbane, O'Shea, Carsley and McShane spring to mind while the likes of S Reid and Kelly are only barely competent distributors of the ball at best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I disagree, had we got a point we could have argued it was a good backs to the wall performance but we didn't and to be honest they over ran us, we owed Given big time that night for not getting stuffed.

Great trip though.....!
    Agreed....and some of the best "backs to the wall defending" and abilty in the air were evident in the Schlossplatz on the Friday evening!
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts

Great trip though.....!

ya but their goal was a lucky deflection.....
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    If the last two games are anything to go by, Trapattoni thinks this too (unless he didn't join up with the squad, but I'm pretty sure he did).
    he wasnt with the squad he was injured. i would be shocked if miller and/or whelan were ahead of him for ctre mid. god help us if they are

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    he wasnt with the squad he was injured. i would be shocked if miller and/or whelan were ahead of him for ctre mid. god help us if they are
    I'd be shocked if any of them are ahead of Carsley,Stephen Reid or Andy Reid. God help us if Kilbane gets the nod he's not much use in the centre we need somebody that can pass to a player with a green jersy on.
    With a squad made up of players like Green, McShocking and Kilbad we are going places. Down the gutter.........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

and while you're watching, notice how often he's out of position playing at full back. Constantly tucks in giving the winger the freedom of the park.

and I'm saying this as a fan of Kilbane btw...
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ogba View Post
    and while you're watching, notice how often he's out of position playing at full back. Constantly tucks in giving the winger the freedom of the park.

and I'm saying this as a fan of Kilbane btw...
    and watch out how far hes off his line when in goals which is about as often as he plays full back!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast