Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kilbane to Retire?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    Funny that Shamrock Ireland. I would have thought Steve Bruce would know more than you.....
    I didn't think Steve Bruce managed Ireland. Watch the previous campaign and tell me was he or was he not pulled all over the shop when a winger attacked him whilst playing at fullback. He'll be found out at Wigan or maybe they're just happy to stay up.
    With a squad made up of players like Green, McShocking and Kilbad we are going places. Down the gutter.........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    In fairness he's right, I can only assume that despite what you say you've not really watched many Ireland games over the last 10 years if you have that low an opinion of Kilbane. He's not spectacular by any stretch but is far better then he's given credit for. Any Everton fan would agree, he was hugely popular playing for them.

His good games for Ireland far outweigh his bad and he fully deserved his player of the year award for us a few years back. Think he won it at Everton at least once as well. Kilbane has completely made the most of his talents and has one of the best attitudes of any Irish player of the last decade. As has been pointed out the fact that he never hides means any mistakes he makes are more noticable but even then those mistakes are far fewer then some would have you believe.
    So I'm not entitled to my opinon then and now I haven't watched him play much for Ireland. I've not missed many Ireland games at home in the past 25 years and will post up pictures and tickets from away matches including Italia 90. I think yes he's a good attitude but he is not gifted.
    With a squad made up of players like Green, McShocking and Kilbad we are going places. Down the gutter.........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShamrockIreland View Post
    I didn't think Steve Bruce managed Ireland. Watch the previous campaign and tell me was he or was he not pulled all over the shop when a winger attacked him whilst playing at fullback. He'll be found out at Wigan or maybe they're just happy to stay up.
    he's been at wigan for a few years and has never let them down. in fact steve bruce singled him out near the end of the season as one of the main reasons they stayed up. the amt of times he played at full back for us ever is tiny. i can remember him starting maybe once at full back in the last campaign.

i have to ask..... do you even know who kevin kilbane actually is?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    he's been at wigan for a few years and has never let them down. in fact steve bruce singled him out near the end of the season as one of the main reasons they stayed up. the amt of times he played at full back for us ever is tiny. i can remember him starting maybe once at full back in the last campaign.

Are You watching a different game to me? He was played as fullback many times and is rubbish there. As a central midfielder he lost the ball and wasn't so good. As a winger he's useless and Duff,Reid,or McGeady deserve to play there ahead of him.

You know what you lot are just towing the party line here Oh isn't Kevin such a good pro. Do i know who he is do you ever watch football or are you happy that our country has played these idiots like O'Shea,Kilbane, a medicore bunch of nobodys. Wigan stayed up by the skin of their teeth and yes he did OK for a medicore team. You look ridiculous the lot of you defending a c r a p player

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You look ridiculous the lot of you defending a c r a p player
    Nobody said he was great but he deserves respect for being the hardest working player on the pitch. Are we supposed to call our hard working players s**t and go on about how great players with talent like Stephen Ireland are, yet who are lazy as **** and don't seem to care a great deal about representing us?

I also see you didn't reply to my post refuting your claims that he hasn't scored or created many goals.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Are You watching a different game to me? He was played as fullback many times and is rubbish there. As a central midfielder he lost the ball and wasn't so good. As a winger he's useless and Duff,Reid,or McGeady deserve to play there ahead of him.

You know what you lot are just towing the party line here Oh isn't Kevin such a good pro. Do i know who he is do you ever watch football or are you happy that our country has played these idiots like O'Shea,Kilbane, a medicore bunch of nobodys. Wigan stayed up by the skin of their teeth and yes he did OK for a medicore team. You look ridiculous the lot of you defending a c r a p player

Would it ever enter your mind that maybe he's a better player than you give him credit for, you obviously detest him as a player and as such are not likely to have a balanced view. Given that the majority on this forum disagree with you, and for towing the party line most posters are quite happy to post poor reveiws / opinions of players so I don't thik thats a valid argument.

I detest the famous RK and the infamous SI but I still accept that one was a world class player the other has the potential to be one but not the mentality.
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts

In fairness I love kilbane but he is very frustrating to watch and he is quite limited. I don't know why you are saying what SI said is rubbish. Kilbane is limited and to say if we had 11 kilbanes on the field would have gotten us to Championships like someone previously said is laughable.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    In fairness I love kilbane but he is very frustrating to watch and he is quite limited. I don't know why you are saying what SI said is rubbish. Kilbane is limited and to say if we had 11 kilbanes on the field would have gotten us to Championships like someone previously said is laughable.
    They must have meant the Coca Cola Championship which unfortunately we're not elligible for but that's the standard we would be playing at with a team of Kevin Kilbane's despite all his hard graft.

Now imagine how sh*te he'd be if he didn't try so hard. Scary eh?
    Last edited by youngirish; 05/06/2008 at 4:07 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Kilbane is limited and to say if we had 11 kilbanes on the field would have gotten us to Championships like someone previously said is laughable.
    That was me as far as I'm aware but I didn't actually say that. I said that if all of the players had his commitment and attitude we'd have gotten to the Championships. I do agree that he is limited though. Nobody could possibly deny that.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

What party line? Kevin Kilbane plays his little heart out & plays with a smile on his face. Believe or not, this DOES give a player bonus points above and beyond any obvious lack of natural talent. There have been enough questions, warranted or otherwise, about the commitment and passion of the Irish team and players like Kilbane are a good tonic to show that international football still means something to some people. He certainly contrasts with a spoilt lazy talent like S. Ireland, S. Carr or a few others worth naming.

Besides, since when have we become so above ourselves that we turn our noses up at a workhorse? If we had 11 world-class players I'd accept where you were coming from but jeesuz, get some perspective

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurphyc View Post
    Nobody said he was great but he deserves respect for being the hardest working player on the pitch. Are we supposed to call our hard working players s**t and go on about how great players with talent like Stephen Ireland are, yet who are lazy as **** and don't seem to care a great deal about representing us?

I also see you didn't reply to my post refuting your claims that he hasn't scored or created many goals.
    I said for a player with 86 caps has 7 goals. His only goal against anybody decent came against the Czechs. Goals and assists came against San Marino and that type of team. We could've and should have beaten them about 10-0 at home but killer kept hitting the fullback with his delicate, sublime footballing skills. Over his period as an Irish international his assist and scoring record is awful and maybe he got a few in the last campaign but that means zilch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Are You watching a different game to me? He was played as fullback many times and is rubbish there
    think i have been or maybe you have him confused with another of our players as i suspect. anyway, if you can list more than one game that he started at full back for us in the last campaign then i will admit i'm wrong. a full back is located near our goal if thats a help

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    So I'm not entitled to my opinon then and now I haven't watched him play much for Ireland. I've not missed many Ireland games at home in the past 25 years and will post up pictures and tickets from away matches including Italia 90. I think yes he's a good attitude but he is not gifted.
    Oh ffs. Of course you're entitled to your opinion, I just disgaree with it. For me anyone that knows anything about the nuances of football would recognise that Kilbane is a useful asset. No one said he was gifted, we all know he's limited but in my opinion those that criticise him are the sort of people who know fcuk all about the game but love a scapegoat and jump on a player as soon as he makes an obvious mistake. It's the easy target syndrome.

You don't have to justify your attendance at games to me, what I said was not 'really watched' which is a totally different thing to attending the game. You said Kilbane was sh1te against San Marino which is nonsense, he was one of the only ones to emerge with any credit from that debacle and was man enough to admit the performance of the team was way below what should be expected after the game (unlike the manager). Your point about goals and assists was bogus to boot, again in the last campaign he was involved in the majority of the few positives we had. We all know he missed that sitter against Spain in 02 and missed a pen but he's had magnifcent performances too (away to France where he was MOTM for me and at home against the Czechs last campaign for example). Many's a time over the years I've watched Kilbane knock a ball past a defender, tear past him and swing a cross in or win a corner. He's not going to beat someone with any fancy stepover's or anything but he's generally been effective. He's also done sterling work covering his left back when required. To write off his career of 80 plus caps the way you have is ludocuris. I'd trust the opinion of a manager such as David Moyes more then those fans that love a scapegoat any day of the week.
    Last edited by Drumcondra 69er; 05/06/2008 at 4:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post
    Would it ever enter your mind that maybe he's a better player than you give him credit for, you obviously detest him as a player and as such are not likely to have a balanced view. Given that the majority on this forum disagree with you, and for towing the party line most posters are quite happy to post poor reveiws / opinions of players so I don't thik thats a valid argument.

It would enter my head if he actually was any good. So you'd prefer him ahead of Andy Reid,Duff or McGeady cos he's got a little bit of heart. Yes I agree hes got good points but not to the point where better players are sitting on the bench while he's the first name on the teamsheet. Anyway He'll probably be there again for another campaign so it doesn't matter what I say.

I detest the famous RK and the infamous SI but I still accept that one was a world class player the other has the potential to be one but not the mentality.
    Yes they were both for different reasons bad and disrespected the shirt but there is no doubting RK was World Class if not an unreasonable player. Stephen Ireland is a great propspect but as he did a runner he doesn't seem to care either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    think i have been or maybe you have him confused with another of our players as i suspect. anyway, if you can list more than one game that he started at full back for us in the last campaign then i will admit i'm wrong. a full back is located near our goal if thats a help
    Well considering i've already told You he played on the wing, in central midfield and as a fullback for us and where did I say STARTED as a defender? Stop being a sarcastic little baby just cos your favourite little player is being criticised.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Oh ffs. Of course you're entitled to your opinion, I just disgaree with it. For me anyone that knows anything about the nuances of football would recognise that Kilbane is a useful asset. No one said he was gifted, we all know he's limited but in my opinion those that criticise him are the sort of people who know fcuk all about the game but love a scapegoat and jump on a player as soon as he makes an obvious mistake. It's the easy target syndrome.

No I know plenty about football and understand that Kilbane was picked to do a certain job and sometimes he did it quite well. There have been better players on the bench whilst he gets picked to run into a player,lose the ball and generally be a rubbish winger. My opinion won't change cos you think I know fu(k all about football. Maybe a lot of you should go back a few years and see what Sheedy or Galvin did on the same wing

You don't have to justify your attendance at games to me, what I said was not 'really watched' which is a totally different thing to attending the game. You said Kilbane was sh1te against San Marino which is nonsense, he was one of the only ones to emerge with any credit from that debacle and was man enough to admit the performance of the team was way below what should be expected after the game (unlike the manager). Your point about goals and assists was bogus to boot, again in the last campaign he was involved in the majority of the few positives we had. We all know he missed that sitter against Spain in 02 and missed a pen but he's had magnifcent performances too (away to France where he was MOTM for me and at home against the Czechs last campaign for example). Many's a time over the years I've watched Kilbane knock a ball past a defender, tear past him and swing a cross in or win a corner. He's not going to beat someone with any fancy stepover's or anything but he's generally been effective. He's also done sterling work covering his left back when required. To write off his career of 80 plus caps the way you have is ludocuris. I'd trust the opinion of a manager such as David Moyes more then those fans that love a scapegoat any day of the week.
    Yes great everyone when mentioning Kilbane uses the Paris game as a great example of how brilliant he is. I was also referring to the home San Marino game never mentioned the away one though a certain lad who's not there scored the winner. I think the fella doesn't deserve the amount of caps given to him and thats that.

As for the scapegoat bit when he runs into fullbacks doesn't get the crosses in and generally doesn't do much in the final third of the pitch eventually you get tired of the same dross which he produces game after game. One in 10 he'll do something different. Who gave you the authority to be such a great footballing man. I'd say you were rallying behind Stan until the final moments even though we played one decent game away to Germany and one not bad at home to the Czechs in that campaign

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Well considering i've already told You he played on the wing, in central midfield and as a fullback for us and where did I say STARTED as a defender? Stop being a sarcastic little baby just cos your favourite little player is being criticised.
    i just cant compete with this sort of debating. you cant even remember what you wrote in your previous posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Legend I doubt it I've never seen a more frustrating player EVER for Ireland. Must he lose the ball and run into the full-back time and again when playing on the wing. He is not a fullback and cannot defend nor position himself which was shown in his last qualifying matches for us. I think at the most he deserved 5 caps. He's awful. I've never disliked an Irish player more and will be glad if he just got on his bike and let a proper defender take his place.
    He was played as fullback many times and is rubbish there. As a central midfielder he lost the ball and wasn't so good. As a winger he's useless and Duff,Reid,or McGeady deserve to play there ahead of him.

Where did I say he started loads of games as fullback in the last camapign? He was reverted back to there plenty of times though and in friendlies and is not good in that position. I'll post you game by game ratings if that makes you feel better honey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He was played as fullback many times and is rubbish there. As a central midfielder he lost the ball and wasn't so good. As a winger he's useless and Duff,Reid,or McGeady deserve to play there ahead of him.

Where did I say he started loads of games as fullback in the last camapign? He was reverted back to there plenty of times though and in friendlies and is not good in that position. I'll post you game by game ratings if that makes you feel better honey

You know it's the first sign of madness when you start answering yourself
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He was played as fullback many times and is rubbish there.

Where did I say he started loads of games as fullback in the last camapign?
    The first line there suggests that you thought he played as a full back a lot in the last campaign, seeing as you were continually talking about his performances in that campaign. You might want to think before you write posts if you don't want to be pulled up on them as you do seem to be backtracking on your statements frequently.

By the way, you also might want to edit your last post as there's so swearing allowed on this message board.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast