Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kilbane to Retire?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,316 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Thanks for that tetsujin1979 I help with the board that the original story on here came from. I pulled the story down when I realised the source had misquoted Killer.

Geysir I read your comments and you were right to say what you said. I thought the source on the Wigan board where I got the story knew what he was talking about ah well
    With a squad made up of players like Green, McShocking and Kilbad we are going places. Down the gutter.........

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    good on you killer!!

love him or loathe him, a man with his level of experience is essential in our squad, more now than ever.

As has been said will always give 100% (a minimum requirement, I accept) and is more capable than alot give him credit for (for some reason the midfield perfromance in the stade de france stands out as I type this). Even if a backup - he would be reliable.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Legend. One of the last remaining of the mccarthy era where hunger and pride over talent got us to a world cup.
    I

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    We could make a team from the leftovers of McCarthy era who are still standing.

Given,
    Finnan, Dunne, OShea, Harte;
    Duff, Carsley, Healy, Kilbane;
    Keane, Morrison;

It might not be a great team but it would be a team.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post

Given,
    Keane, Morrison;

Take out Healy and you've got a still-decent team. Might have to drop Harte as well! Everyone else there is still a decent Premiership player, bar maybe Morrison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post

Given,
    Keane, Morrison;

Swop Kilbane for Harte and you might even have the back 5 for Georgia

And you will probably have Duff, Carsley and Keane strarting as well,

So potentially 8 from the McCarthy era, and they could well be the backbone of qualification, definitley reckon all 8 will play a major part of the group stages, so where did it all go wrong under Kerr and Staunton

Ps no need to answer we all know what went wrong!
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as_i_say View Post
    Legend. One of the last remaining of the mccarthy era where hunger and pride over talent got us to a world cup.
    Legend I doubt it I've never seen a more frustrating player EVER for Ireland. Must he lose the ball and run into the full-back time and again when playing on the wing. He is not a fullback and cannot defend nor position himself which was shown in his last qualifying matches for us. I think at the most he deserved 5 caps. He's awful. I've never disliked an Irish player more and will be glad if he just got on his bike and let a proper defender take his place.
    Last edited by ShamrockIreland; 05/06/2008 at 2:54 AM.
    With a squad made up of players like Green, McShocking and Kilbad we are going places. Down the gutter.........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShamrockIreland View Post
    Legend I doubt it I've never seen a more frustrating player EVER for Ireland. Must he lose the ball and run into the full-back time and again when playing on the wing. He is not a fullback and cannot defend nor position himself which was shown in his last qualifying matches for us. I think at the most he deserved 5 caps. He's awful. I've never disliked an Irish player more and will be glad if he just got on his bike and let a proper defender take his place.
    what a load of rubbish

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    He's awful. I've never disliked an Irish player more and will be glad if he just got on his bike and let a proper defender take his place.

I misunderstood the thread title!

He should "Re-tyre" and get on his bike and let a proper defender take his place.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How many of Kilbanes games for Ireland did you actually see?

He is one of of our most consistent players, while never a regualr contender for MOTM he's always a steady performer, maybe the fact that he doesn't shirk from responsibilty he is more noticable then someone who goes missing for 89 minutes like SI
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    560 Posts

Thumbs up

kevin kilbane has done many different roles for ireland and i have never heard any complaints from him.He always gives his best and is a great team player.Football is a team sport and the best people to ask about kevins contribution is his fellow professionals.I believe that he would get the thumbs up from them everytime.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've never disliked an Irish player more and will be glad if he just got on his bike and let a proper defender take his place.
    So you prefer Stephen Ireland to him? He's a limited player but if every player in our squad had his attitude and commitment our players wouldn't be on holiday right now.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    what a load of rubbish
    Just because I've a different view on a very poor quality player it's rubbish? How he got past 10 caps beggers belief and how he bottled it so many times(eno vs Spain, missing open goals). I've seen him play in ALL his pathetic displays since his debut in Iceland. There is giving it 100% and there is blindly picking a chap that cannot play football. He was pathetic against San Marino(A bunch of part-timers) in the last game at Lansdowne. Some of you just tow the party line and are happy with a lad giving it 100% and doing nothing. For a chap with 80 odd caps he doesn't have many goals or assists.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurphyc View Post
    So you prefer Stephen Ireland to him? He's a limited player but if every player in our squad had his attitude and commitment our players wouldn't be on holiday right now.
    Where did I mention Stephen Ireland who although has the skill and goals in him is never going to play for us again. I have never wanted Kilbane in an Irish shirt as he lacks the skill at international level. As a person he's a nice lad and Yes he's 100% but that hasn't helped us qualify for very much. I said I hated him as a player and I'm sure there are others who agree everytime he gives the ball away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Just because I've a different view on a very poor quality player it's rubbish? How he got past 10 caps beggers belief and how he bottled it so many times(eno vs Spain, missing open goals). I've seen him play in ALL his pathetic displays since his debut in Iceland. There is giving it 100% and there is blindly picking a chap that cannot play football. He was pathetic against San Marino(A bunch of part-timers) in the last game at Lansdowne. Some of you just tow the party line and are happy with a lad giving it 100% and doing nothing. For a chap with 80 odd caps he doesn't have many goals or assists.
    it just gets better

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    it just gets better
    Or you just haven't the sufficient brainpower to answer and just post a little smiley to make you feel good

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Or you just haven't the sufficient brainpower to answer and just post a little smiley to make you feel good

In fairness he's right, I can only assume that despite what you say you've not really watched many Ireland games over the last 10 years if you have that low an opinion of Kilbane. He's not spectacular by any stretch but is far better then he's given credit for. Any Everton fan would agree, he was hugely popular playing for them.

His good games for Ireland far outweigh his bad and he fully deserved his player of the year award for us a few years back. Think he won it at Everton at least once as well. Kilbane has completely made the most of his talents and has one of the best attitudes of any Irish player of the last decade. As has been pointed out the fact that he never hides means any mistakes he makes are more noticable but even then those mistakes are far fewer then some would have you believe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Funny that Shamrock Ireland. I would have thought Steve Bruce would know more than you.....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There is giving it 100% and there is blindly picking a chap that cannot play football.
    He's played for numerous different Premiership clubs which would suggest that he can "play football". I think he's limited as a player and I don't think he's good enough to start for us any more but he has some good qualities.

He was pathetic against San Marino(A bunch of part-timers) in the last game at Lansdowne. Some of you just tow the party line and are happy with a lad giving it 100% and doing nothing. For a chap with 80 odd caps he doesn't have many goals or assists.
    You'd want to look at some of the other player's performances away to San Marino when he was one of our best players on that night. As for him being a player who doesn't have many goals or assists, he was the player in the last campaign with the most of the two combined and he's done well in this regard in previous campaigns.

Where did I mention Stephen Ireland who although has the skill and goals in him is never going to play for us again.
    You said that you've never disliked any Irish player more than Kevin Kilbane. You're entitled to your opinion but I personally think that Kilbane is far more likeable than Stephen Ireland who has generally been quite lazy for us on the pitch so far and who clearly doesn't think the most of playing for our country.

As I said, I'm not a massive fan of Kevin Kilbane and think that there have often been better options available but when he goes on the pitch he gives his utmost for us. That alone should give him your respect instead of you insulting him.
    Last edited by jmurphyc; 05/06/2008 at 7:30 PM.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast