Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Foot.ie Music Exchange

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stann View Post
    Should have said nothing, as that sounds much better than anything I meant!
    Genning up on the chap a bit I see there's quite a back catalogue to choose from, so that wasn't the best of clues maybe. The song in question is quite well known and is in English, that may be a better clue.
    F*ck it, this is worse than guessing Christmas presents! Not sure if you understood my last post now, so I'll elucidate: Because of the wink, I took your initial clue to imply that there was some song particularly relevant to you, leading me straight to 'A Little More Blue' - ie Waterford United! Was almost certain that was what you were going for, and, truly cunningly, I even thought of the little 'blue in the face' pun/hint to play along.
    So obviously then the title track I had in mind was Eiffel 65's "I'm Blue". Thought it was a bit cheesy alright but brilliant nonetheless.

Can't really make any logical connection now. Good game though. And anyway a surprise it should be and a surprise it will be!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Noby, just letting you know I got the CD. Was away on a course the last few days so haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but will crack it open tomorrow.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdom hoop View Post
    F*ck it, this is worse than guessing Christmas presents!....
    That's way too complicated for me!
    Nah the song I was on about was Come As You Are, first off I didn't realise he had such a large body of work, and then didn't realise he'd done so many covers, so the clues were very poor at every stage!

Anyway, the discs are away this morning!
    Cover versions is the theme.
    Not the well known ones, no point in filling it with stuff ye already have. Hopefully most of ye won't have (heard) most of these. But they are all songs you'll know.
    Only a couple of straight covers too, I like them when the genres get a bit mixed up.
    Unless you're dead inside, at least one of them should put a three foot smile on your faces.

When you get the discs the song titles are concealed so if you like you can keep the element of surprise through the first listen, that's what I would do.

Oh and the first track has pretty rough lyrics. I wouldn't have kids around, or, to be honest, any woman I'd remotely care about offending.
    Last edited by stann; 14/10/2008 at 10:46 AM.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Arrived this morning. I had a quick run through at lunch time, but I'll give it a proper listen later. Good first impression. I like the idea of the concealed track list. I must admit when I saw the Fall I guessed the song, even though you could do a cd of Fall covers. That isn't a criticism, by the way; more a lucky guess.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noby View Post
    Arrived this morning. I had a quick run through at lunch time, but I'll give it a proper listen later. Good first impression. I like the idea of the concealed track list. I must admit when I saw the Fall I guessed the song, even though you could do a cd of Fall covers. That isn't a criticism, by the way; more a lucky guess.
    Ah cheers, noby.
    Was thinking that people might assume the Fall cover was Victoria or There's A Ghost In My House or something - am not an uber Fall fan (I like them a lot, just don't know that many of their huge number of tunes) so had only heard that one a couple of months ago.

Anyway, to maintain the element of surprise a little longer will hold off on the tracklist for a bit.
    more bass

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Got mine too Stann thanks. Didn't listen yet, Dáil taking priority for today. Cool idea though, thought about it myself so glad I didn't go ahead with it!

Noby are you going to reveal your psychological state as you prepared your CD? Or maybe you don't want to revisit the pain! Would be interested in what you were thinking alright...

Lastly for now, Jebus are you ok for next week or will I try get my act together?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Psychological state? Are you my shrink?

Just what I've been listening to mostly lately. Plus, as the first one was mainly upbeat I didn't want to go that route again. Pretend I have a bit of depth and all that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lads I haven't had a chance to listen to either cd yet due to a family bereavement. will post reviews ASAP. let me know when it's my turn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Do you want to go this round Kingdom Hoop and I'll have things sorted for the round after that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sounds good. I'll get some blanks today and get them off tomorrow. that ok?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Block G Raptor View Post
    Sounds good. I'll get some blanks today and get them off tomorrow. that ok?
    I think it was Kingdom Hoop's turn so there's no rush man, he hasn't been on though so if you have one get it done sure, Hoop can go next week and I'll go after that

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Presume everyone has had time to spin Stann's Crazy Covers (with apologies to Tom Middleton) by now. Ringing endorsment then!

Tracklisting:
    01. Ben Folds Five - Bitches Ain't Sh*t
    02. Nouvelle Vague - Making Plans For Nigel
    03. Amazonics - Let's Spend The Night Together
    04. Keane - She Sells Sanctuary
    05. The Fall - Lost In Music
    06. The Katzenjammers - Cars
    07. The Ukulele Orchestra Of Great Britain - Another Girl, Another Planet
    08. Hayseed Dixie - Back In Black
    09. Hard 'n' Phirm - Rodeohead
    10. Masha Qrella - Don't Stop The Dance
    11. Foo Fighters - Band On The Run
    12. Elbow - Teardrop
    13. Freedom Dub - Sympathy For The Devil (Pleased Remix)
    14. Senor Coconut & His Orchestra - Da Da Da
    15. Sunshiners - Modern Love
    16. Dub Pistols ft Terry Hall - Rapture
    17. Dsico That No Talent Hack - Smells Like Electro
    18. Flat Pack - Sweet Child Of Mine (Mylo Club Mix)
    19. Groove Armada ft Crazy Girl - Are 'Friends' Electric?
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Had a busy weekend Stann so haven't got around to it yet, but I'll stick it on my IPod later tonight and run through it. Apologies for the delay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I have given it a few spins over the weekend. Good stuff alright. There's a laid back feel to a lot of it, like track 2 & 3, which went down well in our household this weekend; with enough variety that it didn't cross over into a Ray D'arcy territory, it should be said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I'm way behind lads as I was out of the country for a few days and catching up with work to make up. Transfering Noby and Stanns to the Ipod this evening. Tuppence worth asap.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    I think it was Kingdom Hoop's turn
    Not at all, just said I'd offer my services in case you were still having technical difficulties. So Block G DJ, you can go ahead this week. And I can go next week unless someone (Lionel I'm looking at) wants to do a chilling Hallowe'en-themed special?

Stann, I must also admit to not having listened to your crazy covers. Gave my brother my computer for the weekend forgetting that the CD was inside it! Just started playing it now though so report will follow post-haste.

Psychological state? Are you my shrink?

Just what I've been listening to mostly lately. Plus, as the first one was mainly upbeat I didn't want to go that route again. Pretend I have a bit of depth and all that.

'Psychological state'! That's a good one alright. Must've been a case of fingers dancing across the keyboard before the brain got a chance to trip them up. Rest assured I'll reprimand them for their indiscretion. You responded to the spirit of my query anyway - was just wondering if there was any particular theme or story you had in mind that bound all the songs together. Amongst other things I was half thinking the sophomore slump may, given the CD's largely sombre mood, have been a double entendre referring to a difficult period in second year in school/college!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    You really like to read in references that just aren't there, don't you.

While some of those songs coincide with my college years I buck the trend in having a largely happy time in college (although, to be fair "in college" was normally where I wasn't).

The title probably came to me as I listened to Grandaddy - he's always muttering away in the corner.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    You really like to read in references that just aren't there, don't you.
    I profoundly resent the insinuation that my comprehension is sub-par. Either desist from calling me thick or retract that statement and express-post me an olive branch. Thanks.

So Noby categorically humbled, I can move to compliment Stann on his inestimably brilliant Crazy Covers; which over multiple listens the past few days has bestowed upon me unmingled delight. Really like every song, high-flying stars all, but if there was indeed any zenith to be perceived amongst them then I believe it would be The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain's Another Girl, Another Planet. Absolutely love that.

Great work overall, and never strayed into the novelty territory that could've been a danger on a project of this sort. All tracks can be commended in their own right, leading me to believe that the true purpose of the CD was to teach us that replication is acceptable, and should be encouraged to the extent that it is a personalised imitation, not a fastidious duplication. What do you think Noby?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    What he said.
    (Except replace 'Another Girl...' with 'Cars')
    I profoundly resent the insinuation that my comprehension is sub-par. Either desist from calling me thick or retract that statement and express-post me an olive branch.
    Twig in the fax machine as we speak.
    Last edited by sligoman; 23/10/2008 at 4:54 PM. Reason: merge

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    I have given it a few spins over the weekend. Good stuff alright. There's a laid back feel to a lot of it, like track 2 & 3, which went down well in our household this weekend; with enough variety that it didn't cross over into a Ray D'arcy territory, it should be said.
    Ta muchly! Tried as much as possible to avoid the D'Arcy-type stylings (or Radio 1 Live Lounge and the like to be fair to him which he doesn't deserve) alright. The laid back feel I only really copped after listening to the full thing, don't know why that is, except maybe that many 'non-straight' covers tend to be of a laid back type - samba or bossanova versions, bluegrass or whatever. Apart from the multitude of punk covers out there, but I stayed even further away from them.

So Noby categorically humbled, I can move to compliment Stann on his inestimably brilliant Crazy Covers; which over multiple listens the past few days has bestowed upon me unmingled delight. Really like every song, high-flying stars all, but if there was indeed any zenith to be perceived amongst them then I believe it would be The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain's Another Girl, Another Planet. Absolutely love that.
    I blush!
    Ta likewise! Was thinking I might have sent you a different one until you mentioned the Ukulele Orchestra.

Great work overall, and never strayed into the novelty territory that could've been a danger on a project of this sort. All tracks can be commended in their own right, leading me to believe that the true purpose of the CD was to teach us that replication is acceptable, and should be encouraged to the extent that it is a personalised imitation, not a fastidious duplication. What do you think Noby?
    I will let you know whether you're right just as soon as I can work out what it says there.
    Last edited by stann; 26/10/2008 at 9:09 PM.
    more bass

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast