Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kerr -becoming a Sad Figure

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I was at the Bulmers/Tv3 sports quiz in Galway last year where Kerr was the guest speaker.His bitterness at the FAI was incredible but at the time I thought understandable, but then he started telling some stories from training sessions and in one in particular he said the they had a game of Culchies against the Dubs, it was funny apart from the fact that he said that Roy Keane was stuck on the team with all the useless Gobdahs like Gary Doherty(in his words, Gary was a nice fella but jaysus he was ****e).... I just sat there thinking that if he thought he was so bad why the fcuk did he play so many games while Kerr was manager and especially in the game against the Swiss when we were so desperate for a goal. In that moment I lost any last lingering bit of respect I had for the guy
    I've never been one to take a dig at Kerr, however if he said that then it is highly unprofessional & rather disgraceful.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    I've never been one to take a dig at Kerr, however if he said that then it is highly unprofessional & rather disgraceful.
    it was disgraceful but I have to admit that there was a funny side to it too.He was talkin bout the run up to the France game and in the training game of the culchies against the dubs the dubs won 4 nil and Roy Keane was raging to have even lost in training, so when they were about to set up the teams for the training game the following day Keano shouts "right lads, same team as yesterday".Kerr had to tell him to fcuk off coz he didnt want half the team to have broken legs come the France game
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Poor old Roy did not like to get beat by the Dubs. Must have been the Anti Cork Bias
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Poor old Roy did not like to get beat by the Dubs. Must have been the Anti Cork Bias
    I'd say he just didnt like to get beaten at all somehow neil. Btw I'd like to see the teams too.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    kerr was at the rory gallager weekend , he is a big music fan i remember reading
    Was he crazy!! Yeah , in a very special way , an Irishman.
    I slept, and dreamed that life was Beauty;
    I woke, and found that life was Duty.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Wonder who Kilbane, Andy O'Brien, Mattie Holland and Morrison played for in that training session?

Anyway Keane was fighting a losing battle from the start with a defence consisting of the likes of Gary Doherty, John O'Shea and Ian Harte.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I suppose it went for whatever county their parent or grandparent was from. So in Kilbanes case it would be Mayo so that would make him captain of the culchies I reckon.
    In Trap we trust

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    neil mcd, id say you were captain of many football teams over the years... you are surely a lifelong member and captain of Andycapp FC??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD
    In short, Brian Kerr is a Pats legend(and that's all that really matters to me ), Dunphy is a hypocrite and a fool.
    It appears that Pats fans are the only ones left to idolise Kerr.

He had a go at Trap the other week. Trap has won practically everything in the game over 3 decades. Kerr hasn't had a managerial job for 2 and a half years.

Make your own mind up on who knows what he's doing/talking about.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I suppose it went for whatever county their parent or grandparent was from. So in Kilbanes case it would be Mayo so that would make him captain of the culchies I reckon.
    Wasn't it Achill Island?
    That would put him in the culchie hall of fame.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Wasn't it Achill Island?
    That would put him in the culchie hall of fame.
    Yes it was, achill sound to be precise, i went to college with a cousin of his, though she never took advantage of the situation. I think there are pictures of him down in a pub there. Actually I must find out the pub.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Has Achill Island left Co. Mayo then.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    It appears that Pats fans are the only ones left to idolise Kerr.

He had a go at Trap the other week. Trap has won practically everything in the game over 3 decades. Kerr hasn't had a managerial job for 2 and a half years.

Make your own mind up on who knows what he's doing/talking about.

1) Maybe we are. So what ?
    2) Don't recall reading or hearing him having a go at Trappatoni specifically. What did he say about him ?
    3) No ones doubting Trappatonis record, or his ability. It just annoys me when people pretend Kerr did a whole lot worse with Ireland than he actually did. And he emphatically does know what he's doing as a manager. You don't win trophies otherwise.

As for getting a job "People running clubs in England aren't smart enough to realise how good Brian Kerr is" Not my words (and not an exact quote, my memory's not that good,but that was the jist of it). Eamon Dunphy on the Late Late Show with Brian Kerr after the under 20 Tournament in Malaysia, with Dunphy in full brown nose mode. Another example of what a hypocrite he is.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    1) Maybe we are. So what ?
    2) Don't recall reading or hearing him having a go at Trappatoni specifically. What did he say about him ?
    3) No ones doubting Trappatonis record, or his ability. It just annoys me when people pretend Kerr did a whole lot worse with Ireland than he actually did. And he emphatically does know what he's doing as a manager. You don't win trophies otherwise.

As for getting a job "People running clubs in England aren't smart enough to realise how good Brian Kerr is" Not my words (and not an exact quote, my memory's not that good,but that was the jist of it). Eamon Dunphy on the Late Late Show with Brian Kerr after the under 20 Tournament in Malaysia, with Dunphy in full brown nose mode. Another example of what a hypocrite he is.
    The fact is that he failed with Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    The vast majority of managers have failed at some stage during their careers. I'll still stand by what I said. A lot of people are lumping Kerr in with Staunton now, which is just ridiculous.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    The vast majority of managers have failed at some stage during their careers. I'll still stand by what I said. A lot of people are lumping Kerr in with Staunton now, which is just ridiculous.
    He wasnt as bad as Staunton but he did fail the only time he managed above League of Ireland level

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    A lot of people are lumping Kerr in with Staunton now, which is just ridiculous.
    I think that Staunton was appointed largely so the FAI could be seen to be dealing with Kerr's failings. I read an article a while ago that new managers are often appointed on the basis of the previous manager's failings. IIRC, it took Newcastle as an example, Keegan was seen as tactically inept at the end of his first reign, so Gullit ,who had a reputation of solid football following his stint at Chelseas was appointed. Gullit was sacked because he didn't understand the Geordie spirit, so Robson - a Geordie who bled for the club - was appointed. Robson was given the boot because he wasn't seen as a disciplinarian within the club, and Souness, who had a history of enforcing discipline, was appointed. And so on. It can be applied to the England national side as well, The public perception of Hoddle was (and still is) that the players couldn't get along with him (noone would care about his religious beliefs if he was successful, Domenech is known for bizarre astrology beliefs, but it's largely ignored because of his success). Keegan was appointed because he had a history of fantastic man management. When he left, Ericsson was appointed because he was a far better tactician than Keegan. Following his departure, and the outcry of appointing a foreigner (remember Harris' rant about selling their history down the fjord to a nation of skiers and hammer throwers who spend half their lives in darkness?), the most qualified English coach was appointed. After that failed miserably, the FA went with actual success, rather than potential.
    Going back to Staunton and Kerr, the public reaction at the end of Kerr's reign was that he had lost the spirit of the dressing room. Staunton was appointed partially on the basis that he had been there in the successful years, and would being that spirit back. In the build up to the Sweden game their was a lot of talk in the press about how easy it was to talk to the players and manager, as compared to under Kerr where it was nigh impossible to get a quote outside of a press conference.
    Like it or not, Staunton's failure will forever be linked with Kerr.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 03/06/2008 at 10:44 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    If Kerr just dumped the load of chips, the acid sarcasm - there would be no problem.

There is no problem with his overall managerial record for his country, at senior or underage.
    There is no problem with his ability to write about a game.
    When he just writes about the game he makes a good read.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    If Kerr just dumped the load of chips, the acid sarcasm - there would be no problem.

There is no problem with his overall managerial record for his country, at senior or underage.
    There is no problem with his ability to write about a game.
    When he just writes about the game he makes a good read.
    Agree generally although his senior record deserves to be questioned. When the chips were down (Russia at home and Swiss away for Euro 2004 when 6 points would have qualified us and France and Swiss at home for WC2006) he failed. You also have to point to our propensity under him to throw away winning positions (Russia again for 04, Swiss away and Israel home and away for 06) as a result of safety first tactics in general as a major minus. His best result was still only a 'moral victory' away to France in a game we should have won.

I was a staunch supporter at the time of his appointment and much as I thought he should go had a degree of sympathy when his contract wasn't renewed but he's behaved with such a degree of bitterness since then it's almost impossible not to disike him now. His glee at the Cyprus debacle when he was commentating at the game was unforgiveable and made little sense when you consider it was only Shay Given that prevented a similar scoreline the previous year when he was in charge. Kerr was in charge for some of the most insipid performances I've witnessed from an Ireland team (twice against the Swiss and against Cyprus despite the win) that were practically as bad as what we witnessed under Staunton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    When the chips were down when 6 points would have qualified us and France and Swiss at home for WC2006) he failed.
    Winning just one of those games, including Israel at our own home ground, having been 2-0 up, would have got a play-off at least. We were supposed to have a bulletproof home record. 3 games at home to qualify for the WC, is about as good as it can get, yet Kerr blew it.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyD
    Don't recall reading or hearing him having a go at Trappatoni specifically. What did he say about him ?
    Quote Originally Posted by noby
    There are more little petty digs there than on College Road.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast