Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Serbia - Saturday, 24th May 2008 - Friendly

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    The usual ill informed tripe from jmurphy. Did you just make the above assumption up that I've no history of going to games or did it have some actual basis in reality? Maybe you seen an old post and removed that most important word recently from the above.

In the past I've gone to many Ireland games. I was at all the home qualfiiers for both the 1990 and 1994 wc qualfiers when you were probably at home playing with your power rangers. For the past 8 years I've mostly lived and worked abroad so it's a tad difficult for me to go to every Ireland game considering I work 5 days a week in various locations far and wide. Anyway I've been at plenty of other football games besides Ireland ones on three continents so I'll go with the smart money here and state I don't really have too much to learn from yourself in this repect (here's a snippet of information for you they actually use Mexican waves at other football matches also). A final tip of advice if you still think JOS is a good player you might be better off saving your own money and not bothering to go to the matches as you might get a better understanding of the game from watching it on tv. Thanks for the education. How did I get this far through life without your titbits of knowledge Dungeon Master?
    As I said, I didn't mean to insult you. However, you seem to have absolutely no problem insulting people left, right and centre. I assumed that you hadn't been to games judging by your recent posts. It was my mistake then. However, you haven't given one reason why mexican waves add to the atmosphere. As I said, you don't see them popping up in extremely crucial games where there is a proper atmosphere, and as I also said, they are extremely distracting to not only the players but also the crowd. Doesn't it make you wonder why the only people starting them at Croke Park are a bunch of ten year olds?

As for your understanding of football, I seem to remember you saying that if we want to show our disdain for Staunton's management we should simply not go to the games. No real fan would do that as the team is there to be supported but then again, I guess it's easy for you to say that when clearly you can't be bothered going to games when the team's fortunes start to take a dip. Do the words "fair weather" mean anything to you?

As for me saying JOS is a good player, I think he is a decent player with absolutely no ambition. If you think the guy was always completely talentless then why did he end up at Man Utd? Anyway, his talent has all but disappeared. Do you really need me to drag up my recent posts where I have very harshly criticised him? Whilst not knowing the guy, I think that in terms of football he's a complete waster who is living in his comfort zone collecting medals for doing very, very little. I also see you have begun to mention that McGeady should play recently - obviously very subtlely changing your tune - after saying that he'll probably end up in the lower leagues of Scottish football a few months ago.

I'm sure that you've watched far more football than me - but then again you are obviously a lot older - but for someone who does watch a lot you talk plenty of cr*p.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurphyc View Post

As for your understanding of football, I seem to remember you saying that if we want to show our disdain for Staunton's management we should simply not go to the games. No real fan would do that as the team is there to be supported but then again, I guess it's easy for you to say that when clearly you can't be bothered going to games when the team's fortunes start to take a dip. Do the words "fair weather" mean anything to you?
    Exactly and I was proved right as per usual. One of the main reasons that Delaney and his cohorts were forced to remove Stan and pay him off is because many of the fans didn't bother to show up for a sold out Croke Park for his last match in charge and those who did booed him at the final whistle. If you don't think the FAI's main concern when getting rid of him was how much money they'd lose on ticket sales in the WC2010 campaign then it's naive. If everybody still bought the tickets and attended all the matches we'd still have Stan in charge irrespective of how poor our results had become. Almost everything in Ireland and consequently in the FAI boils down to money at the end of the day.

This ridiculous attitude of claiming to be a good fan by continuing to hand the FAI money and showing up to support the team no matter how poorly the FAI treats it's supporters (in terms of managers or facilities) or no matter how rubbish the team is performing is flawed logic at best and pure insanity at worst. I could easily claim it makes you the antithesis of a good fan because a good fan cares about the team and wants to do something (anything) to help improve it's fortunes. We'd still have Stan in charge and be sinking ever lower into the abyss if everyone was like you in the country. How can that be equivalent to being a good supporter. Because somebody else told you it did? Wake up man.

I never mentioned anything about McGeady playing in the lower leagues. I've stated for many a year now on here that he's not the top class player the majority on here have at least at one time or another believed him to be and in this respect I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise. Anthony Stokes looked like Maradona in Scotland ffs. He's good enough for an average Premiership team at present. No more. No less. I've never stated him to be anything other than that.

Let's just agree he's better and more talented than John O'Shea should we?
    Last edited by youngirish; 29/05/2008 at 3:02 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Exactly and I was proved right as per usual. One of the main reasons that Delaney and his cohorts were forced to remove Stan and pay him off is because many of the fans didn't bother to show up for a sold out Croke Park for his last match in charge and those who did booed him at the final whistle. If you don't think the FAI's main concern when getting rid of him was how much money they'd lose on ticket sales in the WC2010 campaign then your are as naive as you are young. If everybody still bought the tickets and attended all the matches we'd still have Stan in charge irrespective of how poor our results had become. Almost everything in Ireland and consequently in the FAI boils down to money at the end of the day.

This ridiculous attitude of claiming to be a good fan by continuing to hand the FAI money and showing up to support the team no matter how poorly the FAI treats it's supporters (in terms of managers or facilities) or no matter how rubbish the team is performing is flawed logic at best and pure insanity at worst. I could easily claim it makes you the antithesis of a good fan because a good fan cares about the team and wants to do something (anything) to help improve it's fortunes. We'd still have Stan in charge and be sinking ever lower into the abyss if everyone was like you in the country. How can that be equivalent to being a good supporter. Because somebody else told you it did? Wake up man.
    We'll have to disagree on what makes a good fan. I'm not trying to make out that I'm any better than you. Clearly we just have different interpretations of how to stage a protest. I think it can be done in tandem with going to the game, but in the sense that most of the people who went to Croke Park probably didn't know who Steve Staunton was, let alone John Delaney, you're probably right that it was the only realistic way of Delaney ousting Staunton seeing as half of the crowd these days - perhaps it was always like that (?) - is totally apathetic. However, I'm perfectly capable of making up my own mind and don't need to be swayed by any media agenda or the masses in what I do.

I never mentioned anything about McGeady playing in the lower leagues. I've stated for many a year now on here that he's not the top class player the majority on here have at least at one time or another believed him to be and in this respect I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise. Anthony Stokes looked like Maradona in Scotland ffs. He's good enough for an average Premiership team at present. No more. No less. I've never stated him to be anything other than that.

Let's just agree he's better and more talented than John O'Shea should we?
    I personally agree with you to a large extent of McGeady. I think he can turn out to be good, but I worry whether he will for us and I don't think he's going to turn out to be a world class player. As for John O'Shea whenever I defend him I do it in the context of what we have. Whilst I despise his attitude I don't think people can make outlandish comments like him never wearing the shirt again. As much as I'd like to see this happen we have very few options and he is arguably our best one.
    Last edited by jmurphyc; 29/05/2008 at 2:59 PM.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurphyc View Post
    I personally agree with you to a large extent of McGeady. I think he can turn out to be good, but I worry whether he will for us and I don't think he's going to turn out to be a world class player. As for John O'Shea whenever I defend him I do it in the context of what we have. Whilst I despise his attitude I don't think people can make outlandish comments like him never wearing the shirt again. As much as I'd like to see this happen we have very few options and he is arguably our best one.
    Fair enough at least we've found some common ground. What I will say on McGeady to be fair to him and others on these forums is that he has improved considerably over the past 12 months more than I would have previously thought. If he continues to improve then he could become that top class player that many on here have already claimed him to be but at present I think he'd struggle to stand out in a more competitive league whether it be Italy, Spain or England.

For Ireland I don't think he'll be spectacular in the short term but hopefully should be more consistent and positive than when playing under Stan when he was seldom anything other than dreadful.
    Last edited by youngirish; 29/05/2008 at 3:10 PM.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    What's the story with this whole my sh*te smells sweeter than those people who participate in a Mexican wave on this site? I've noticed it a number of times. Seems a bit snobbish tbh in my opinion for a working class man's sport like football.

Probably more suited to a tennis or rugby match.

I'll be in London tonight. I'm going to try to start one to p*ss you all off particularly if we are getting hammered.
    Well done! Although we're winning

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Well done! Although we're winning
    When I saw that wave, I couldn't help wondering if youngirish was in the thick of it
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Coming from a man who on another forum earlier thought Jim Broadbent was only in Indiana Jones because Lucas and Spielberg had been fans of Only Fools and Horses and decided to give a struggling actor from an episode 25 years ago a cameo. Are you for real?

If that's an indication of your high and mighty intelligence I'll take your put down as a compliment thanks very much.
    Good stuff sure you're a great man altogether. I love the way you just throw posts together like they're fact and come across so condescending in them. I felt the shyte you came out with about Mexican waves was just that - shyte, but seeing as I don't know you I wouldn't go as far as to say you're an eejit or that, but anything is possible.
    Jmurphy actually debated a point with you, yet you tear him a new one.
    And as for me recognising an actor from the one show I've seen him in, boo hoo! You're some man to twist words for your own little agenda.
    By the by keep bigging yourself up lad, someone will listen some day, honest.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_barry80 View Post
    I was watching the England match last night and heard a few times throughout the game they were singing their national anthem. Why can't we do that?
    I'm not too sure God Save the Queen would go down too well at Croker tbh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    "who does Duff play for nowadays?". Clearly we have a lot of people going to the games who aren't football fans - consequently the atmosphere suffers.

!
    People/Muppets behind me thought we were playing Russia.

I kid you not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    merging thread
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    merging thread
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415