Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    i hear its...

kiely
    kelly - dunne - mcshane - delaney
    duff - whelan - miller - hunt
    keane - doyle
    That would be correct.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...k=view&id=3207

Good to see Delaney get a chance to show what he can do as the left-full position is an area where we are especially weak.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    both those full back choices are very poor in my opinion, that backline is terrible. Hope to god finnan comes back. O'shea looks like a star performer when reading that team sheet.

That is a seriouslly weak team, my god I am not looking forward to seeing that team - and I hope I wont - away from home.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I predicted the same team except O'Shea in for Delaney and McPhail instead of Miller. Delighted McShane is starting. Potentially a superb defensive partnership if they play together regularly. I don't think partnering Dunne with anyone else has the same potential but I do rate McShane very highly as we know.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good to see Whelan and Delaney in the team. Hopefully Dlenaey will solve a few problems at left back. I'm surprised to see Miller there though.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Delighted for Whelan, solid player and deserving of this opportunity
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    both those full back choices are very poor in my opinion, that backline is terrible. Hope to god finnan comes back. O'shea looks like a star performer when reading that team sheet.

That is a seriouslly weak team, my god I am not looking forward to seeing that team - and I hope I wont - away from home.
    on the face of it its not that strong but with new caps like whelan and delaney and lads who are in the last chance saloon like miller then maybe they'll make the most of their chance to stake a claim

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    That central midfield looks a bit worrying and whatever about delaney i am not a fan of mc shane. he'll prob be ok against the serbs but i would shudder to think of him starting against italy andy o brien or o shea for me. with finnan back and hopefully the 2 reids or steven reid and carsley in the centre then we will have a pretty solid team. and its great not to see jonathon douglas near that team!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Delighted for Damien Delaney and Paul have you seen him play or you just basing your thoughts on bias. Left back has been a huge problem area for us and playing John O'Shea there is crazy.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Had the same team, apart from Keogh up front instead of Doyle, and Potter instead of Miller, although I didn't know at the time Potter was carrying a knock
    Delighted for Whelan, been following his career since he was in the reserves at City, and richly deserved
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    The back four is nicely balanced, everyone's playing in their proper positions. I hope Delaney does well. Whelan is in the Kinsella/Holland mould and won't let anyone down, but Miller's performance will decide whether or not we get over-run in that area. Big games for Hunt and Doyle. I think, with such a small midfield, we'll be keeping it on the deck, which will be a relief. Trap's made some comments on that, how football is not meant to be played in the air, and how a passing game will bring the best out of Keane.

"Sometimes in England, when the ball is in the air...you need a shotgun to hit it, it's not easy,"
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...e-1383856.html
    Last edited by Supreme feet; 23/05/2008 at 3:43 PM. Reason: mis-spelling

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    I predicted the same team except O'Shea in for Delaney and McPhail instead of Miller. Delighted McShane is starting. Potentially a superb defensive partnership if they play together regularly. I don't think partnering Dunne with anyone else has the same potential but I do rate McShane very highly as we know.
    Disagree McShane is poor, I honestly feel that St Ledger along side Dunne would be an excellent partnership.

I think once Trapp gets to see the Saint play he will waste no time bringing him into the squad.

Hopefully now that A Kelly is back in the set up he can tip Trapp off about Prestons rising star.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    Delighted for Damien Delaney and Paul have you seen him play or you just basing your thoughts on bias. Left back has been a huge problem area for us and playing John O'Shea there is crazy.
    no but he is playing in the lower first division so I don't think I need to see him, to say that side is weak and inexperienced.

When i was on holiday I met a season ticket holder at sheffield so I thought I had to ask him about whelan, he said there was huge hype around him at wednesday but this fella himself didn't know what it was all about. He didn't think much of whelan and said he always gave 110% and thats probably why he was a fans favourite.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 23/05/2008 at 3:57 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Trapp's quotes are going to be great:

Trapattoni has already confirmed that 27-year-old Keane will retain the captaincy, and underlined his importance to the team after Thursday evening's training session in Malahide.

"I said last month how important I believe Robbie is because football is about power, creativity and intelligence.

"Robbie at Tottenham has experience, personality and he brings a calm to the rest of the team.

"He has the timing in his head, and that is important."

Trapattoni has made a point of insisting he wants his team to be able to play a variety of systems, and believes Keane could be key to that.

However, he was quick to point to the difference in what is required of him at Spurs and how he sees him playing for his country.

The manager said: "I have seen many, many games live and also on DVD. I cannot speak about other teams because there are other team-mates.

"In England, the football is very difficult, but the ball flies in England.

"Robbie needs to play football. He understands when the ball is coming, he knows already in his head what to do.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The quotes just flow

February will be no problem for Trap
    “For a game, it’s better that the weather is colder, fresher — the sun is only for holidays,” he smiled.

On speed reading
    “Today is important because Robbie (Keane) and Richard Dunne are back,” he said. “I spoke with them and clarified a little bit about what we did in training in Portugal. They understand what I am looking for in our system. We did five minutes with that system this evening and I think they are happy"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Really wanted to see Garvan in midfield...I really don't rate Liam Miller. I'm really suprised Il Trap isn't going for the 4-1-2-2-1 formation. This is what I want to see against Columbia.

Garvan....Andy Reid and Whelan in midfield.

I really hope Doyle and Keane can work well together, and hopefully we will see Hunt do well.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post

Oh come on Paul. Steven Kelly has played very well this season in a struggling Birmingham side and there is no point in making any reference to Finnan until he officially says he is coming back.Damian Delaney is an excellent left back and deserves his place. We have been crying out for a natural left back for a long time now and I am certain that Damian will prove many people wrong. To say that John O Shea who has played a handful of games this season would be a better option is just plain silly. Whatever about him playing in the centre there is no way I would play him at left back.

I am not a fan of McShane whatsoever and I really hope he plays well and does himself some justice. I really like him as a person and admire his determination but this is as far as it goes.

Miller should not be there either as he has had too many chances already. Garvan should be given his chance.

Apart from this I am reasonably happy with the team.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Agree with the above post about Kelly who was excellant last season despite Birmingham's relegation. I think he's matured into a decent player and unless Finnan gets regular games, i reckon he should get the right back spot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    Really wanted to see Garvan in midfield...I really don't rate Liam Miller. I'm really suprised Il Trap isn't going for the 4-1-2-2-1 formation. This is what I want to see against Columbia.

Garvan....Andy Reid and Whelan in midfield.

I really hope Doyle and Keane can work well together, and hopefully we will see Hunt do well.
    I really hope that's the case.

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    [QUOTE=back of the net;948725]

really hope he tries a 4-4-1-1 and plays keane in behind doyle

why is miller starting? never mind playing- he just aint good enough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast