Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Something for the Kids?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Something for the Kids?

Right Lads I'm thinking of booking something for the end of the summer (august/september) for myself the missus and the 3 little one's (8, 6 and 3mths) we went to Salou last year and to be fair we had a ball but there wasn't a whole heap for the kids to do during the day outside of universal studios and the waterpark (which cost an arm and a leg) so has anyone come across any really good spots for kids. I went to Mojacar (mo-hack-a) years ago with the ex and there was loads to do in the complex with a huge stage and nightly shows but in all my traveling since havn't come across anything like it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I'm going to Brittany in a month with three young kids. I'll let you know how we get on, if that's not too late.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    The best holiday my kids had, bar Florida, was in Holland. Great unspoilt, clean beaches if the weather is good. A great science museum that they loved in Den Haag, also Maduradam is a great day out. It is model city where you get to feel like gulliver!

Effling is a brill theme park based on the Grimm Fairytales with some excellent rides which are enjoyable for young ones. Its certainly less expensive than Disney and its ilk and brings fairytales to life.

If like my youngest rugrat, your kid is into art there are some amazing galleries too and if you like gruesome there is a torture museum near the royal palace in Den Haag.

I know, not your typical family venue for holiday but much better than lying on a beach bored off your head.

France is perfect too. Some of those campsites have great facilities and you can spend a few days near/in Paris. Parc Asterix is deadly too, a very french experience with really good rides all based on Asterix de Gaulle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanx a Mill Magicme, I was thinking more along the usual Budget travel package but you have really got me to thinking? jesus Holland would never have crossed my mind..Nice one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Check out Kel Air's website. They organise holidays in French resorts (one in Biarritz as well) and have plenty of choice on offer for kids activities. I worked for them over in France 4 years ago and they're a well run company that do genuinely take pride in their high level of customer satisfaction. They have resorts in the woods and by the beaches in Brittany, the Vendee and the south as well. They have minders that take groups of kids for activities as well while the parents do their own thing if needs be
    Last edited by jebus; 23/05/2008 at 11:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    That sounds like a great holiday, Magic.
    Bored on a beach is definitely something we don't want from our holiday. We're staying in one of the smaller/quieter camping parks, close to a beach, but we're also getting a car for the week so we can spin around to places of interest. Most places have kids clubs during the day, that would keep your older two occupied.

It's a short enough flight as well, from a smaller airport (Waterford), which was also a factor with young kids.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    They have minders that take groups of kids for activities as well while the parents do their own thing if needs be
    Sound like just my cup o' tea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    http://www.campotel.com/

There you go. I ran the Les Sables campsite for them (well their part of it) and I can vouch for how much work they put into giving their customers a great time. Brittany might be best for the kids, the Vendee is more laid back, hanging around town and the beach, the South was just too hot for my blood

There is at least one worker on hand at all times to sort out any problems you might have (change of gas, questions on where to go, anything really), and the kids are taken by one or two of the girls and brought on activities with the other kids that are staying there (so they might make friends and that). There's a babysitting service for if yourself and the missus want a romantic night out. If you look through it and fancy one or two of the campsites pm, I spent some time in most of them and might have some more info for you. It's a family owned Irish buisness as well, and they have staff based here to help you out with any querys before departing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks Jebus. they sound great and are reasonably priced too. I've sent off for the brochure. the only draw back is that their Idea of a package is ferry and Drive which as you know I cant. Did you fly when you went? do they do flights and transfers ? also my french is very patchy and I don't think the Missus has any at all will I need french to get by or are they mostly english speaking in the resorts
    Last edited by Block G Raptor; 23/05/2008 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Travelling out they only used to arrange ferries, but some people did fly and rent a car (the family would need one in these places alright). Ask about it though as they were talking about flight transfers a few years back when I was there. I went by ferry, but they arranged transfers from there.

You wouldn't need French at all (maybe a bit in the South), anyone working on a holiday resort has to speak fluent English, and the staff are usually a mix of Irish, English and French

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Stayed in Carnac myself a few years ago, in La Grand Métairie, Also in St Jean De Mont, In the Campotel/KelAir campsites there there is a great kids club called the Buzzy Bee Club i think, something along them lines anyway!!,Keep the kids very much occupied and are family orientated. For either place, If you arent Driving then flights to Nantes would be your best bet, then arranging transfers from there.
    Més Que Un Club - More than a Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Spent a week in Carnac getting it ready for the summer season in 2004, loved the town, really friendly people. It's the Buzzy Bee club for the kids alright

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    I went to Barcelona with wife and daughter (then aged 18 months) two years ago and we are going there again at end of August plus new addition of son and heir who will be 1 by then. Barca has a lot going for it. Miles of beach, great shopping, lots of kid' stuff too like zoo, aquarium, parks. It's a great walking city too. Unlike going to Malaga or Lanzarote, there is lot's to do even of the sun doesn't shine. (Lanzarote in the rain is like a typical day in Tuam). Also, the Nou Camp is worth a visit.

Word of warning: book a hotel room with AirCon or you will be divorced.
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Barca is a great city, my favourite in Europe!, a bit for everyone!, i'm off to spain tomorrow to work until september, not far from Barca, and you can bet your bottom dollar i'll be spending qite a bit of time there!!, when possible of course!!
    Més Que Un Club - More than a Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I guess I should update this. We're back from Brittany with a week, stayed in Raguenes, and had a wonderful time. End of June/star of July is definite off-peak, but we got good weather. We were in a smaller campsite, and it was quite enough that everyone was very relaxed. Some of the kids clubs didn't start until the first of July. We were with Canvas, who I couldn't fault, but I have heard a lot of positive things about KelAir.

We rented a car there, which was great for spinning about. A lot of West Cork type fishing villages. Our longest drive was up to Brest, about 80 minutes away, to the wonderful Oceanopolis. It felt like we had the place to ourselves, but I would imagine it gets hectic in August.

I can see us going back there again, perhaps next time on the ferry so we can load up the car.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Block.

There is a place we been too a couple of times in Majorca called Cala Do'r Budget do a package in apartments called the Cala D'or Playa Apartments they have great Kids Club and activities and have shows which kids get too be apart off also. the resort itself has plenty to do and things to keep kids busy.

Would recommend you having alook kids will love it and has good bars and restaurants and most have play areas in them where you can watch them while you eat!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    The brother has 3 boys similar ages, they've just come back form 2 weeks in Biarritz and they absolutely loved it, stayed in a camp site with a pool etc.. Lots to do apprently, good beaches, not your typical Costa Crowds either

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by casso36 View Post
    Block.

There is a place we been too a couple of times in Majorca called Cala Do'r Budget do a package in apartments called the Cala D'or Playa Apartments they have great Kids Club and activities and have shows which kids get too be apart off also. the resort itself has plenty to do and things to keep kids busy.

Would recommend you having alook kids will love it and has good bars and restaurants and most have play areas in them where you can watch them while you eat!
    Thanks Casso. Gonna inquire with budget for this one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Block G Raptor View Post
    Thanks Casso. Gonna inquire with budget for this one

Sorry G,

Forgot to leave the link. www.caladorplaya.com