Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McCourt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

McCourt

Says on eleven a side that derry were insulted by an offer that was made for paddy by probably west brom. must have been ****. hes worth 300,000 i reckon at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I'm very supportive of the stand the club are taking on this but time isn't on our side. His contract is up at some stage this year so we risk losing him on a free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    I'm very supportive of the stand the club are taking on this but time isn't on our side. His contract is up at some stage this year so we risk losing him on a free.
    well id sooner lose him for nothing than give him away for pittance. sounds daft but ya know what i mean.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    If his contract is up this year and he's not signing a new one then he's worth peanuts. You'd be lucky to get 20-50k for him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    well id sooner lose him for nothing than give him away for pittance. sounds daft but ya know what i mean.
    Thankfully you're not involved in the Board of any EL club then....

Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face !

This is a very difficult one for City to manage. In our favour is the fact that any English club would much prefer to have a player from now, so they can be fully involved in their pre-season plans, rather than delay on getting them for the sake of what to them would be a few quid.

The down-side for us is that the definition of that 'few quid' (i.e. the point at which it becomes financially worth-while a club saying no to McCourt now and waiting to get him on a free instead) lies with the purchaser.

Hopefully we'll play it right and get a decent sum for him. But if we're not careful, we could end-up with neither money nor McCourt. And that would be stupid and, in my view, financially reckless.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    If his contract is up this year and he's not signing a new one then he's worth peanuts. You'd be lucky to get 20-50k for him
    Depends on how much it is worth to Derry City to have him for a further 6 months. How many games could he win for them? How much are those wins worth to the club. Probably a lot more than 20-50k.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Depends on how much it is worth to Derry City to have him for a further 6 months. How many games could he win for them? How much are those wins worth to the club. Probably a lot more than 20-50k.
    But that also assumes that you don't invest the money to replace McCourt.

If an alternative player was brought in who had a direct impact on games/wins, then the balance in the equation shifts in-favour of selling him and cashing-in now.

This is the difficult decision the club is doubtless weighing-up at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    No **** Sherlock.

But I like the fact the club is playing hardball, or at least talking about playing hardball.

Personally I'd sell him now regardless of the value as there is almost zero chance we'll challenge for the League with or without him.

Better to get a bit of money and continue to re-build.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    It's a dilemma alright.

If Pat McCourt really wants to go to West Brom and Derry decide to hang onto him until November, will he have an incentive to try his hardest for the club if a move is frustrated?
    Robbie Hedderman. Arguably the greatest Derry City player of all time...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Linfield are in a similar situation with Alan Mannus. Norwich City has offered a measly 50k for him. Knowing that he is out of contract next June and they can pre-sign him for nothing in January.
    The Hallion Battalion Molests football.:D

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    For what it's worth, I think Derry City should worry more about a 25% sell on fee rather than an initial big fee.

Pat McCourt is arguably the most talented outfield player on this island and I feel with good professional training from England he can add that final third to his game and become a real good player at Championship level and possibly Premiership if he hits the ground running when he goes to England.
    The Hallion Battalion Molests football.:D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    West Brom are promoted mate as good a player as he is i cant really see him making it in the priemership in all fairness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bruce View Post
    For what it's worth, I think Derry City should worry more about a 25% sell on fee rather than an initial big fee.

Pat McCourt is arguably the most talented outfield player on this island and I feel with good professional training from England he can add that final third to his game and become a real good player at Championship level and possibly Premiership if he hits the ground running when he goes to England.

That's the most important point. He knows it isn't worth his while to leave in November and play catch up with his match fitness in January. That's why he wants to go in July.

It look like there are a few clubs after him, proper order that Derry turn down the first bid for him.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    How much did we get for Roy in the same situation?

The question is how much is McCourt worth to Derry in the next 6 months. DO they think he'l ensure Europe? Setanta?

Derry are a different team without him and I think they'l struggle for Europe if he goes. If they're being offered the kind of figure above then its simply not worth selling him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    How much did we get for Roy in the same situation?

The question is how much is McCourt worth to Derry in the next 6 months. DO they think he'l ensure Europe? Setanta?

Derry are a different team without him and I think they'l struggle for Europe if he goes. If they're being offered the kind of figure above then its simply not worth selling him
    Again - the assumption is that it's McCourt or money.

You need to also consider instead what impact any money in selling McCourt could have in stregthening the team. The money wouldn't just sit under the Chairman's mattress...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Again - the assumption is that it's McCourt or money.

You need to also consider instead what impact any money in selling McCourt could have in stregthening the team. The money wouldn't just sit under the Chairman's mattress...
    The figure Jebus mentioned which I was replying to, wouldnt by a player with a tenth of McCourts talent,let alone a player as good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    if you were say only getting 20,000 to 50,000 for him id say stick it. what good is that amount anyway. id make them wait even if he went for nothing which that amount pretty much is anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    According to this evening's herald (f*cking rag I know) McCourt, Gamble and Healy have all been offered 200k a year to sign for Pats

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charliesboots View Post
    According to this evening's herald (f*cking rag I know) McCourt, Gamble and Healy have all been offered 200k a year to sign for Pats
    fckin hell that almost 4 grand a week....if thats true then thats serious money. any player would be mad to take that. pats would have to start off loading there midfielders though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    fckin hell that almost 4 grand a week....if thats true then thats serious money. any player would be mad to take that. pats would have to start off loading there midfielders though.
    Ndo is out of contract at the end of the season, there's a good chance Keane will go and it looks like Kerr is on his on his way too.

That would free up enough for two of them anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast