Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ireland V Belgium 81 Evening Herald reports

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Ireland V Belgium 81 Evening Herald reports

I have a whole page of pics and articles relating to fans making there way to Belgium for the 1981 game. How can I cut and paste the 4 adobe files on here anyone? Found this old copy of the Herald in the attic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    I have a whole page of pics and articles relating to fans making there way to Belgium for the 1981 game. How can I cut and paste the 4 adobe files on here anyone? Found this old copy of the Herald in the attic.
    What exactly do you want to do and what do you have?

Are the pictures on the computer, and if so what format are they in? (Is that what you mean by Adobe files?)

If in Adobe, what are you trying to turn them into? (JPEG, PNG, PSD, etc.?)
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Noely,I got your message.

That's a good find.
    The mice have eaten all my archive clippings in my mothers attic, only JFK's visit survived.

Follow Worms advice and we will all be able to have a gander.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post

I'd love to see it, remember it like it was yesterday, travelled with Funtrek from Eden Quay via Holyhead, London, Dover,and took in a Utd Everton game at Goodison on the way back.

We were robbed by the ref big time, 4 mins to go, great crowd of Irish at it, I'd say posibly as much as 5,000, fantastic trip.
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Would love to see that.It will be good regression therapy to get rid if that childhood pain.First time I ever got deeply upset over a game of football.
    That referee should neverbe let forget what he did to us.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Yep, I was at that game. Once again the depths of despair. Another 7 years to wait before we at last made it. I honestly thought it would never happen. We were a cursed football nation - nothing, I mean nothing, ever went for us until.............."oh,.. Mackay!!!".
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Yep, I was at that game. Once again the depths of despair. Another 7 years to wait before we at last made it. I honestly thought it would never happen. We were a cursed football nation - nothing, I mean nothing, ever went for us until.............."oh,.. Mackay!!!".
    But do you remember where you were when Mackay scored? i was listening to the commentary on the radio in work on Talbot St, what a day

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post
    But do you remember where you were when Mackay scored? i was listening to the commentary on the radio in work on Talbot St, what a day
    Noely sent me the 4 pdf files. They are 3megs each!

Will convert them to jpgs or pngs later and upload them
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post
    Indeed I do. I was watching it. Took the afternoon off to watch the game as RTE were showing it live. The last 5 minutes after Scotland scored were the most tense football minutes I have EVER endured because so much was at stake, aided and abetted by George H counting the chickens before the final whistle was blown.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    I was at it - will never forget it. All of the above is true, particularly about the ref, who if anyone remembers, also refereed us versus Italy at Italia 90. Nazare from Portugal - son of a bitch he was. I'm just throwing this out there as a question, but wasn't he indicted for taking bribes for the Dundee United v Roma European Cup semi-final in which Roma overturned a 3-0 deficit?

Two things I remember about the night in Brussles. There were fully 300 Irish lying prostrate on the ground in the car park at the Heysel Stadium - drunk as skunks and the police with their sub machine guns just looking on in amazment. Also, after the game, a bloke in the toilet, through the most drunken of drunken slurs, said "one day the world will recognise us as a footballing nation." His words proved prophetic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Raul Nazare was almost certainly bribed. No referee could be that bad. Furthermore Belgium's leading club (at the time) Anderlect were found to have been bribing referees at the time. It may not be definitive proof but if you bribe referees while running a football club you may also do so in your capacity of running the FA.

We deserved to come out of that group. We missed out on goal difference too This was mainly because France got 7 v Cyprus on grass in Limassol while the Dutch , Belgians and ourselves managed narrow wins on sand in Nicosia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Indeed I do. I was watching it. Took the afternoon off to watch the game as RTE were showing it live. The last 5 minutes after Scotland scored were the most tense football minutes I have EVER endured because so much was at stake, aided and abetted by George H counting the chickens before the final whistle was blown.

yes remember nipping into the pub after Macay scored and getting them to put on the tv, and them opening a bottle of bubbly on air after the final whistle, don't know how i got home form the pub that night but the car was in the drive the following morning

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    I was at it - will never forget it. All of the above is true, particularly about the ref, who if anyone remembers, also refereed us versus Italy at Italia 90. Nazare from Portugal - son of a bitch he was. I'm just throwing this out there as a question, but wasn't he indicted for taking bribes for the Dundee United v Roma European Cup semi-final in which Roma overturned a 3-0 deficit?

Two things I remember about the night in Brussles. There were fully 300 Irish lying prostrate on the ground in the car park at the Heysel Stadium - drunk as skunks and the police with their sub machine guns just looking on in amazment. Also, after the game, a bloke in the toilet, through the most drunken of drunken slurs, said "one day the world will recognise us as a footballing nation." His words proved prophetic.
    Nazare was not the ref in 1990.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    but wasn't he indicted for taking bribes for the Dundee United v Roma European Cup semi-final in which Roma overturned a 3-0 deficit?
    No he wasn't that ref either

Some sportfiles photos from that game

Belg v Irl 1981 photos
    including Eoin Hands "good game ref"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    The "fist fighting" in Ostend mentioned in the Herald article never happened. What did happen was a group of Ireland fans (me included) wandered into a disco/bar in Ostend (one of the few places open). A group of English girls sat at the bar with a couple of Irish fans just chatting away. The place had a "DJ" in a tiny booth. Chatting to the DJ was 2 French speaking Belgians. One of these chaps had a scar from ear to ear and looked like an extra from On the Waterfront. To get a request to the DJ you had to navigate around Popeye and his mate. Popeye made it clear that he didn't like us being in "his" bar and stepped in front of any Irish fans who went up to ask the DJ to play requests. Then about 7 or 8 English guys came in and with the English girls started to dance to whatever music was on. Suddenly Popeye picked up a glass ashtray and flung it at the English hitting one of the girls full in the face. Popeye and his mate legged it and the English chased them up the street. The cops arrived and started to question everyone about what had happened. Nobody from Ireland was involved in what had happened. The story got back to John Feeney and somehow it turned into rivers of Blood.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    John Feeney? enough said.
    Case dismissed.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    No he wasn't that ref either

Some sportfiles photos from that game

Belg v Irl 1981 photos
    including Eoin Hands "good game ref"
    That's an interesting little website. Thanks for the link!
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    You have seen these ones?
    Connolly Collection

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    You have seen these ones?
    Connolly Collection
    It's interesting to see in the photos of the U.23 training session from 1966 that the playersdon't have any proper training kit - they actually seem to be wearing shirts they have gained as swaps from previous matches. One guy is even wearing an England shirt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast