Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Under 21 Tournament thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Malaysia shocked Iraq 1-0 in the other game. A draw will most likely qualify us for the semi finals. A win will certainly do so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    Malaysia shocked Iraq 1-0 in the other game. A draw will most likely qualify us for the semi finals. A win will certainly do so.
    I don't know if it's a "shock" as Iraq have sent a U20 team to this tournament. Our boys should be able to win today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    How long has the putz been in charge anyway? 10 years? christ what a cushty number. He must have a no sacking under any circumstances clause in his contract
    I

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as_i_say View Post
    How long has the putz been in charge anyway? 10 years? christ what a cushty number. He must have a no sacking under any circumstances clause in his contract
    He's a clown and imo has been just as responsible asr Kerr and Stan for the sharp decline in the fortunes of our International team that we've all witnessed in recent years. The U21 team is the last step on the ladder to a full senior cap and many of the current squad would have served under Givens. If you have become used to under performing at U21 level then it's only logical to assume this losing mentality will be carried over to the next level.

We've got rid of Stan now so Givens should be next on the list. His record has been shocking at U21 level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post
    Do you bother to read posts before replying?

Our 4 so called best players are with the senior squad.

All other teams are U23, the FAI have chosen to send out an U21 team.

These descisions are not Dons but the FAI and Trap's.

This isn't an important tournament by any means. Did you read my post? The U-17s qualified for the European Championships, has Don ever managed that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I give up, I mean do you accept that he picks the squad after Trap takes who he wants and that it really is not an important level.

Do you see the English tabloids gloating if their U21s win or baying for blood if they lose?

And then who would you replace Don with?

An EL manager? then we have the same crap as with the U23s Scully complaining that his players are being tapped up etc.
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Good stuff Don,

For everybody else read my signature
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    0-0 against Iraq in today's match for our boys.

Malaysia and Nigeria drew 1-1.

AFAIK we're ahead of Malaysia on goal difference. Nigeria and Iraq still have to play each other so our place in the semifinals is dependent on the result in that match.

But 0-0 against an Iraq U20 team is poor.

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts

Ireland U23 0 - Iraq U23 0 : Ft

Ireland left frustrated by Iraq at U23 Intercontinental Tournament

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Monday, 19 May 2008 Section: International

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intercontinental Cup Group A
    Republic of Ireland 0-0 Iraq

Don Givens’ Ireland team dominated today’s Under-23 Intercontinental Cup tournament Group A game against Iraq in Malaysia but couldn’t put the ball away.

The result means that Iraq will have to defeat tournament favourites Nigeria by a two-goal margin in Wednesday’s final match to deny Ireland a place in the semi-final.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    That's disgraceful that they could'nt beat Iraq, come on the country is in a complete mess and were never a decent team anyway!!. Even Iran were never up to much!!
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    Ireland left frustrated by Iraq at U23 Intercontinental Tournament

Date: Monday, 19 May 2008 Section: International

Intercontinental Cup Group A
    Republic of Ireland 0-0 Iraq

Don Givens’ Ireland team dominated today’s Under-23 Intercontinental Cup tournament Group A game against Iraq in Malaysia but couldn’t put the ball away.

The result means that Iraq will have to defeat tournament favourites Nigeria by a two-goal margin in Wednesday’s final match to deny Ireland a place in the semi-final.
    hard to see iraq beating nigeria if we should have beaten them,especially as nigeria gave us a good hiding on saturday.who would we playing if we do qualify for the semi finals?are any of the games on any tv station?and finally how in the name of football is don givens allowed to be in charge of the team?his record as an underage manager in the last few years are abysmal?does he have something hanging over delaney or what??

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Hes cheap, which is the FAIs main concern, oh and dont think hes gonna complain or cause much trouble so again perfect for the fai. It would be madness to put anyone with half decent managerial skills in place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    I give up, I mean do you accept that he picks the squad after Trap takes who he wants and that it really is not an important level.

Do you see the English tabloids gloating if their U21s win or baying for blood if they lose?

And then who would you replace Don with?

An EL manager? then we have the same crap as with the U23s Scully complaining that his players are being tapped up etc.
    It is an important level, its a great chance to look at young players and help their development. Lets not bring Trap in to this, Givens has been around for years before Trap came along, and still hasn't been able to muster a win, regardless of how many U-21 players are in the first team squad.
    The English tabloids would be baying for blood if the U-21s were managed by someone who has a spectacularly awful record, despite the age groups below him consistently doing well.
    Who would I replace Don with? I don't know. I'd ask Trap or whoever the no.1 manager at the time was. Failing that I'd give it to an Irish manager, perhaps one who has experience at LoI level.

Out of interest, were you one of the people saying to give Staunton time, how he was a lovely fella and it wasn't his fault he'd been thrown in at the deep end?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    It is an important level, its a great chance to look at young players and help their development. Lets not bring Trap in to this, Givens has been around for years before Trap came along, and still hasn't been able to muster a win, regardless of how many U-21 players are in the first team squad.
    The English tabloids would be baying for blood if the U-21s were managed by someone who has a spectacularly awful record, despite the age groups below him consistently doing well.
    Who would I replace Don with? I don't know. I'd ask Trap or whoever the no.1 manager at the time was. Failing that I'd give it to an Irish manager, perhaps one who has experience at LoI level.

Out of interest, were you one of the people saying to give Staunton time, how he was a lovely fella and it wasn't his fault he'd been thrown in at the deep end?

Staunton is a lovely fella, and was thrown in at the deep end, but he did accept the job and why wouldnt he, blame he who gave him the job.

Let's not bring Trap into this, but it is Trap who took the best players, that makes a clear statement of how he valuues this level.

Is that not what Trap did, take players with him for the week to look at them?

Englands U21s dont set the world on fire and dont get the same press as when the senior team play crap.

Anyway let's agree to disagree on the matter,
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Iraq are Asian champions, and thats a country that Is in the middle of a full scale war, we just have the FAI running football in Ireland, so I suppose we are in similar situation to Iraq!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Don Givens is doing a superb job!!!! 0-0 with Iraq, we could even beat San Marino if we meet them. Keep him in the job for ever!! We are really lucky to have such a great manager.
    The deepest layer of human thinking and feeling somehow knows that God must exist - Pope Benedict XVI

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    At least Stan got few decent results as manager.

As for Givens holy god.

He should not be in charge of the local pub team never mind this stage

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Staunton is a lovely fella, and was thrown in at the deep end, but he did accept the job and why wouldnt he, blame he who gave him the job.
    The same illogical argument over and over again. Imagine you were offered a job as a heart surgeon even though you have no experience whatsoever. In the operating room you cause the death of your first patient but refuse to step down. You continue practicing and ignore other people's objections and concerns and are responsible for a number of other people's deaths until you are eventually forced out of your position .

By your logic you bear no responsibility for the unfortunate circumstances above though. It's all the fault of the people who employed you then. Staunton is just as much to blame as Delaney and I for one have lost any respect I held for him as a player due to his incompetence but more relevant his stubborness as a manager.
    Last edited by youngirish; 20/05/2008 at 10:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    The same illogical argument over and over again. Imagine you were offered a job as a heart surgeon even though you have no experience whatsoever. In the operating room you cause the death of your first patient but refuse to step down. You continue practicing and ignore other people's objections and concerns and are responsible for a number of other people's deaths until you are eventually forced out of your position .

By your logic you bear no responsibility for the unfortunate circumstances above though. It's all the fault of the people who employed you then. Staunton is just as much to blame as Delaney and I for one have lost any respect I held for him as a player due to his incompetence but more relevant his stubborness as a manager.
    Heart surgeons need experience , International football managers don't neccecarily i.e Klinsmann , Donadoni , Van Basten , Riijkaard , Dunga

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    Heart surgeons need experience , International football managers don't neccecarily i.e Klinsmann , Donadoni , Van Basten , Riijkaard , Dunga
    None of the above with the exception of Klinsmann were particularly successful as International managers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast