Ssshhh - don't tell the Derry boys!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soper View Post
    System Error
    Ludicrous comment, the point was that Forde looked like one of the best keepers in the league at Derry. To suggest otherwise if brainless. I still wouldn't have had him near the international squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The thing is though, he didn't look like one of the best. Terrible at crosses and high balls, prone to flapping about. There were several goalkeepers better than him at the time he was here, and there remains several better than him now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Westwood's record for the season added to irish abroad: http://www.chatsoccer.net/irishabroa...playerID=37039
    He was ever present for Carlisle this season: http://www.chatsoccer.net/irishabroa...ery?teamID=643
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soper View Post
    The thing is though, he didn't look like one of the best. Terrible at crosses and high balls, prone to flapping about. There were several goalkeepers better than him at the time he was here, and there remains several better than him now.
    Won the award as Keeper of the year in 2006. Who were these several goalkeppers beter then him back then? Football's all about opinions but can't agree with you on that. Most keepers are prone to errors and this is even more prevelant in the EL. Brain Murphy had a number of them playing for Swansea and is probably the best keeper in the EL now. Ashley Bayes was able to win a title ffs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torn-Ado View Post
    Kaka is a protestant. His dad is German.

Seriously.

Don't ask me how I know but I do

Bosco Izecson Pereira Leite - Kaka's Dads Name - Hardly German?

But i dont believe hes catholic, heard somewhere before he wasnt..
    Last edited by Flawless; 19/05/2008 at 9:52 PM.
    Més Que Un Club - More than a Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    From RTE

There was still time for Vitinha to force a solid save from Westwood, a 62nd-minute replacement for Joe Murphy, after Damien Delaney's slip had put the midfielder in on goal.

Trapattoni later defended his decision to call up the Carlisle keeper in the wake of criticism from Bohemians counterpart Brian Murphy that he should have looked closer to home.

The Italian said: 'I did not know him (Westwood), but our scouts told me he played in the (English League One play-off) semi-final against Leeds and played two or three important games. We are looking at the young players. We have to look at all the possibilities.
    I'm confident that Trap knows what he's doing and he wont shy away from picking Eircom players if they show theyre good enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky77 View Post
    Surely someone like Brian Murphy would be ahead of him?
    Well, Kieron Westwood has succeeded in making a career in League One. Brian Murphy did not.

Drumcondra 69er says it better than me really........I don't want to cause offence but I really think you guys overestimate how good your league is. It's nowhere near Championship standard, as some think.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
    Well, Kieron Westwood has succeeded in making a career in League One. Brian Murphy did not.

Drumcondra 69er says it better than me really........I don't want to cause offence but I really think you guys overestimate how good your league is. It's nowhere near Championship standard, as some think.
    Westwood isn't Irish, Murphy is.

The Championship is a better standard than the Premier Division in the LOI - I think the majority of LOI supporters would acknowlege this. But that's irrelevant as Carlisle United isn't a Championship club or a Championship standard club.

Westwood got the "call-up" because he can potentially play international football for another country.
    Last edited by ifk101; 20/05/2008 at 2:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    oh come on, what are the realistic chances of Westwood getting an England call up in the next few years? There are good English keepers coming through the ranks and James' place in the side is pretty comfortable after another good season.

Westwood is unlikely to feature in September he was just called up at short notice so they could explore other goalkeeping possibilities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    oh come on, what are the realistic chances of Westwood getting an England call up in the next few years? There are good English keepers coming through the ranks and James' place in the side is pretty comfortable after another good season.
    So he's no good then?

Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    Westwood is unlikely to feature in September he was just called up at short notice so they could explore other goalkeeping possibilities.
    How convenient.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post

Due to criticism i recieved for not bothering about the EL i've watched a load of games recently and must say i've been surprised. It is around championship level, probably the bottom half of the championship would be suitable to accomodate the best 3 or 4 sides in the el. the rest would be league one although possible one or two would struggle at that level. the championship in england however, is a shocking league; demonstrated by the massive struggle any side getting out of it has in avoiding immediate demotion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Not bizarre at all, it's just a tounge in check comment ffs. A lot of 2g and 3g Irish get sent to Catholic schools in England, I've often heard that phrase used in the UK from people educated in Catholic schools or from 2g fans on away trips. Think you're reading waaay to much onto it.
    It's not tounge in cheek at all. ffs the majority of ordinary people in Britain think that the troubles was solely a sectarian war between catholic's and protestants
    they just seem to equate catholic with Irish as though the 2 are mutually exclusive

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Westwood isn't Irish, Murphy is.

The Championship is a better standard than the Premier Division in the LOI - I think the majority of LOI supporters would acknowlege this. But that's irrelevant as Carlisle United isn't a Championship club or a Championship standard club.

Westwood got the "call-up" because he can potentially play international football for another country.

So if Westwood is not Irish he is probably English then or do you mean he is Irish but wasn't born in Ireland like Murphy making him less Irish of course? Just a bit confused as to why an English man was called up to play for us thats all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Non Irish Irish Italians Non League of Ireland playing Irish have been playing for us for years. Whats the problem?

John Aldridge is as Liverpool as they come and Houghton is Scotish through and through. 9 out of 10 ex Irish internationals live in England. They speak english and probably read english papers.

How many of the WC90 Squad could claim to have been born in Ireland, played LOI football ?

Always thought Vinny Jones was hard done by to be honest with some of the lads we took in.

I suppose in all honesty, If were depending on Westwood or Murphy to qualify for any major tournament were in trouble. Were not blessed with talent on tap and if we uncover a gem, welcome aboard. Thats the crux of the matter.
    Who is this guy, Trapper Tony?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FarBeag View Post
    So if Westwood is not Irish he is probably English then or do you mean he is Irish but wasn't born in Ireland like Murphy making him less Irish of course? Just a bit confused as to why an English man was called up to play for us thats all.
    It's quite simple to understand. He said the following words "I'm not Irish" in that combination. Does that confuse you?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Block G Raptor View Post
    It's not tounge in cheek at all. ffs the majority of ordinary people in Britain think that the troubles was solely a sectarian war between catholic's and protestants
    they just seem to equate catholic with Irish as though the 2 are mutually exclusive
    One of the most ill informed posts I've ever read. Like it or not for a lot of people of Irish descent living in England then being sent to Catholic / Irish schools over in England defined what was different about them to other kids over there. Most of the lads I travel to away trips with are born in Birmingham or London, the phrase 'a good catholic boy' is totally tounge in cheek and is one I've regulalry heard used by second generation Irish in a jokey manner. It's exactly the sort of thing the likes of Dermot O'Leary (who's big on his Irish heritage) would say for example.

And the last line of your post actually makes no sense at all, I assume you meant the opposite as 'mutually exclusive' means 'unable to be true at the same time' which clearly being Irish and Cathloic isn't. Did you mean as though the 2 are one and the same?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    It's quite simple to understand. He said the following words "I'm not Irish" in that combination. Does that confuse you?
    The fact that you left the 'as such' out of you're I'm not Irish (as such)' quote completly changes the context. Cr@p argument. My opinion is that he meant he wasn't born over here.

He's hardly the first and won't be the last player to be like this, can't believe why people are up in arms about this, if we cap him and he turns out to be a top keeper then happy days, if he doesn't he doesn't make the squads. What's the big deal?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    The fact that you left the 'as such' out of you're I'm not Irish (as such)' quote completly changes the context. Cr@p argument. My opinion is that he meant he wasn't born over here.

He's hardly the first and won't be the last player to be like this, can't believe why people are up in arms about this, if we cap him and he turns out to be a top keeper then happy days, if he doesn't he doesn't make the squads. What's the big deal?
    A basic requirement for anyone playing for us is that they consider themselves Irish. I don't care if they are second, third or whatever generation Irish as long as they identify themselves as Irish. He said he's not Irish so your cr@p argument that he might turn out to be a top goalkeeper doesn't cut it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    any reasonable reading of what he said would see that he meant he was not born in Ireland.

please, IFK, pick something else to get all worked up over.

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast