Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Keiren Westwood G Crewe Alexandra b.1984

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sean r View Post
    i think the standard is better then league 2 look at europe results. shams vs juve 0-2 0-2 they had a hard time with rovers. Or sporting fungs against that pourtuguese side the euro results were very good or decent at least. how good would a league 2 or blue square side do in europe? lincoln city vs juve no contest there. the league has improved over the years. also the players who went to england like kevin doyle who left the loi and had no trouble fitting in or adjusting to the prem. a lot of the former loi players do well in england and even do well in the top flight with little or no trouble that shows that the loi is a decent standard. no longer are we a "pub league" or even pub teams( well maybe mons lol) our european results shows that we are a decent level. i think the loi is better than people think it is

In recent seasons we have seen, Long, Doyle, Fahey, Dicker, Murphy, Mooney, Powell, O'Flynn, Conneely, McCallister, O'Shea, Myler, McGinn, McCourt, Keegan, Kavanagh, Gartland, Coleman, Doherty, Hoolahan, Sammon, Murphy(GK), Behan, Bennet, O'Donovan, O'Callaghan, Gamble, McChrystal, Madden, Hoban, Keohane, Forde, Dillon, Byrne, Foran, Kelly (Crumlin/Oldham) and several more besides that I have probably omitted leave the league.

Thats a lot of talent to have lost.

Of those, only Long, Doyle and Fahey and Coleman play for sides in the upper Champoinship or EPL or are presently likely to play for Ireland regularly, although Sammon and Myler will hopefully do so also. The others although some of them stars in their LOI sides have found their levels further down the divisions in England.

I think it has seen LOI shorn of its better players which has in turn definitely weakened the standard of the league. The flipside being we have about half a dozen extra players for Ireland who would regretably not be considered if still in the LOI.

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Has started today against Hull

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    On Sky score center it says he's scored one goal this season? Anyone know when that was? I know he sometimes goes up for corners

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelmusic View Post
    On Sky score center it says he's scored one goal this season? Anyone know when that was? I know he sometimes goes up for corners
    It was an OG against QPR in December: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Play...9&seasonID=140
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    wasn't shams 0 - 2, 1 - 0?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Being linked with Leicester City - http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.u...l/article.html

The rumour has also got a six pager here - http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/in...pic=72568&st=0

Seems first team football at a Premiership bound Leicester as opposed to a back up at a Prem side is the angle with Everton and Man City also 'linked' .
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 27/05/2011 at 1:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Leicester have another Irish keeper in their squad; Conrad Logan from Ramelton in Donegal. He's 25, but is currently a back-up keeper and is regularly put out on loan.

How likely is it that Leicester will the the Premier League any time soon?

Manchester City would be a bad move for Westwood, I feel. We all know what it'd be like for him there from Given's situation. Westwood would play understudy to Hart just as Given has done; not what we need for who many view as our future goalkeeper-in-waiting.

Sunderland and Villa are also on his tail: http://www.joe.ie/football/football-...wood-0012521-1

Where would he be most likely to see first-team Premier League action?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Leicester have another Irish keeper in their squad; Conrad Logan from Ramelton in Donegal. He's 25, but is currently a back-up keeper and is regularly put out on loan.

How likely is it that Leicester will the the Premier League any time soon?

Manchester City would be a bad move for Westwood, I feel. We all know what it'd be like for him there from Given's situation. Westwood would play understudy to Hart just as Given has done; not what we need for who many view as our future goalkeeper-in-waiting.

Sunderland and Villa are also on his tail: http://www.joe.ie/football/football-...wood-0012521-1

Logans future isnt at Leicester, and I think the way they spent last season, they are serious about going up, the club have a good chance of promotion this season, bookies favourite at present, or were recently at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    I'd definitely have Leicester in the favourites next season, Sven in charge, money to spend, looking good for promotion IMO
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post

If he comes to Villa it would almost certainly be as replacement for Friedel and number one. Can't see the club having the cash or inclination to buy two keepers.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    The Guardian had him being linked with Sunderland, as Gordon is out till the autumn and as competition for Mignolet. Wouldn't be a bad move for him, but the suspicion would be as soon as Gordon gets fit, he'd slot straight in. Westwood needs to be first-choice whereever he goes next.

The Villa move would be interesting, Friedel by all accounts is Liverpool bound because of his bankruptcy and the long term security 2 years there would add (also talk of a coaching role in the future) so there would definitely be a spot available.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Being linked with Leicester City - http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.u...l/article.html

The rumour has also got a six pager here - http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/in...pic=72568&st=0

Seems first team football at a Premiership bound Leicester as opposed to a back up at a Prem side is the angle with Everton and Man City also 'linked' .
    I remember years ago when Dean Kiely was highly rated at Bury, and was disapointed when he joined Charlton in the Championship. Worked out in the long run though... Leicester could be a good move. Can't see the Sunderland thing materialising.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    On his Way to Sunderland according to latest reports http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...d-switch.html? According to this article Wolves failed with a late bid.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    And in as number 1. Brilliant.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Gordon's never really been number 1 at Sunderland under any manager. Big price tag but always seemed to get too comfortable and lose his place. Big opportunity for Westwood as Mignolet seems to have a touch of the Barthezes about him.

19. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    ASTON VILLA, is the best place for westwood, number 1 spot will bring out the best in him and also for ireland. Gordon is good player but will he stay fit, mignolet has showed promise also. best to play than warm a bench so villa or fulham should be his destination

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Deal for a move to Sunderland has gone through according to this: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...e-2669974.html
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    Celtic rumoured to be bidding for Craig Gordon: http://www.journallive.co.uk/safc/sa...1634-28867078/
    Uncertainty surrounds the future of Gordon as Sunderland close in on a free transfer swoop for Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Keiren Westwood.
    Despite interest from Manchester City, Wolves and Everton, Westwood has been sold on a move to the Stadium of Light by the promise of starting the season as number one, and that leaves question marks surrounding Gordon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Sunderland could be quite an Irish team again if all these signings go through. Westwood in goals, O'Shea in defence, and Gibson with Meyler in midfield.

Will all those Sunderland jerseys from the Roy Keane era come back out of the woodwork?
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    He's supposed to be completing the Sunderland move today, according to this.

25. Thanks From:

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast