Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Disappointments

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2 Disappointments

I believe that two recipients of the Galway United Legends Awards ended up having to pay themselves in to Terryland Park on the night they received their awards. One of the recipeints had children with him and he had to pay for the kids to enter also. Another of the recipients had been told tickets were to be posted to him ahead of the evening of the match and he never received them.

Another disappointing stance taken by Galway United is that each junior club were not issued with two season tickets as was customary in previous seasons. (I am not involved with any club and would not have benefitted from these tickets).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Recipients of legend awards should not have had to pay entrance fees as they were there at the invitation of the club. If this happened they should be refunded.

Junior clubs should not receive free season tickets under any circumstances. United pay the Galway & District League for the use of Terryland, this should be enough. A lot of ex players and Junior football heads seem to think they have a divine right to stroll through the turnstiles without giving a penny when the fans are getting hit up for extra cash at every opportunity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    The Legends not getting tickets is wrong but I have a strong objection over the Junior Clubs getting free tickets. This year the Junior clubs were offered one free ticket plus another one free if they provided 2 volunteers to assist with Stewarding 8 home games a season. These volunteers would also gain free entry to games they didnt have to work at. The club sent out the letter to all Junior and Juvenille clubs and received no replies.

Why should Junior clubs get free tickets when ordinary fans have to stump up €250 fora season ticket €20 for every game.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    The recipients of the legends awards should not have to pay in. The fault here lies with GUFC, it will be sorted out for future matches.

Giving free season tickets to junior clubs is pointless. There are many great football people involved in junior/juvenile clubs who are season ticket holders or who pay in at home games. Why should freeloaders get in for nothing ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm sure the legends tickets was just an innocent mix up.

Don't think this is the right place to be complaining about it, contact the club directly.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

All i hear from Junior football people.

All i hear from people in junior football clubs in Galway is moaning and comments like "i wouldnt cross a road to see Galway utd".Mervue and West Utd heads in work are so bitter and seem to have a hatred for the club.
    The legends having to pay in is wrong,they should be given lifetime free entry for being in the Legends group starting at the game you got inducted at.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A Gesture

If I am not mistaken, does the Galway League have a vested interest in Terryland?

At a guess there would be perhaps 50 junior clubs in Galway so the issuing of 100 season tickets does not seem too bold a gesture.

I think the suggestion of giving Galway United legends a lifettime pass to Galway United games is an excellent idea and would be a commendable stance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShamTalk View Post
    If I am not mistaken, does the Galway League have a vested interest in Terryland?

At a guess there would be perhaps 50 junior clubs in Galway so the issuing of 100 season tickets does not seem too bold a gesture.
    I thought Eamo, Saigon, gufct, PD & eireo6 had answered the original post very well so I was hoping to stay out of this. BUT...........you've got a rise out of me now.

100 season tickets @ Eur250=25k.

Show me any business that can afford to turn that kind of revenue away.

As PD pointed out above there are many truly loyal Galwegians who have represented their Junior clubs with distinction over the years and are quite prepared to pay at the gate both as season ticket holders and occasional visitors. However, there are alos those (some of whom never played football), who occupy officer roles in Junior clubs who feel they have a divine right to parade into Terryland on their say so. If it was up to me I'd charge them double. and my signiture is dedicated to them. No replies to the ticket & steward offer as posted above by gufct says it all for me.
    Last edited by MyTown; 16/05/2008 at 10:37 AM.
    Less Whining
    Less Moaning

What are YOU doing to make it better?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    The Galway and District League have shares in United and therefore I'm sure they are happy to contribute financially to United's success and have no interest in freeloading off the club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Its only revenue if these people would have bought tickets anyway!

On the other hand if these people werent going to come and even 10% of the total tickets are taken up then the club gains extra support as well as extra revenue (potentially) from merchandise sales etc etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    The corollary of that logic is that letting everyone in for free will
    boost your clubs revenue, as presumably they weren't going to pay
    in anyway.

Another bright idea from University College Dublin Dublin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dunne View Post
    The corollary of that logic is that letting everyone in for free will
    boost your clubs revenue, as presumably they weren't going to pay
    in anyway.

Another bright idea from University College Dublin Dublin
    If they werent going to come anyway then you have lost nothing. Obviously if they were going to come anyway then you wouldnt be giving them freebies. If you were filling your ground every week you wouldnt need to do this but as none of us do this then at worst you might as well fill the empty space. The only potenial issue with this logic is knowing whether people had intended coming to the match anyway or not. In this case it would appear that they werent going to the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    If they werent going to come anyway then you have lost nothing. Obviously if they were going to come anyway then you wouldnt be giving them freebies. If you were filling your ground every week you wouldnt need to do this but as none of us do this then at worst you might as well fill the empty space. The only potenial issue with this logic is knowing whether people had intended coming to the match anyway or not. In this case it would appear that they werent going to the game.
    If me auntie had balls........
    DB Cooper is alive !

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eamo1 View Post
    All i hear from people in junior football clubs in Galway is moaning and comments like "i wouldnt cross a road to see Galway utd".Mervue and West Utd heads in work are so bitter and seem to have a hatred for the club.
    The legends having to pay in is wrong,they should be given lifetime free entry for being in the Legends group starting at the game you got inducted at.
    west utd heads seem 2 have a hatred for the club,well if they do i know of at least 20 members of west attend terryland on a regular basis and most of them are season ticket holders and while we are on the subject of legends chick,tommy keane,noel mernagh,stephen lally,kevin cassidy and tommy lally all ex west players,if the rest of the junior clubs in galway contributed half as much as west have over the years,gufc would be in alot better situation than they are in now,i could prob name another 20 players who came through west and played with united at some stage,none as successful as the above named but still contributed.
    if u got no socks,u can't pull them up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Took the words right out of my Mouth. Of the City Sides West and Hibs players are always in Terryland supporting United .
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I believe that two recipients of the Galway United Legends Awards ended up having to pay themselves in to Terryland Park on the night they received their awards. One of the recipeints had children with him and he had to pay for the kids to enter also. Another of the recipients had been told tickets were to be posted to him ahead of the evening of the match and he never received them.
    Im not surprised to hear this at all

Sorry to say it but that is a disgrace - no excuse for it

You would think the well paid cpo would be able to make sure things like this dont happen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    The "Legends" scheme is actually run by a group of volunteers at the club.

It was an unfortunate mistake. The two legends you refer to - Ricky Flaherty and Mark Herrick - pay in to Terryland at most home games. I'm sure that they could have got in for free by explaining that they were due to receive awards that evening, but knowing the two of them, they didn't want to make a sound and dance routine about the error.

Some of the posters here would probably have made a Broadway musical out of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MyTown View Post

Just a question and not trying to stir anything here but do Galway United give all their underage teams season tickets for free?

Follow Us on Facebook and Twitter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    We only have one underage team (U-20s). Normally they are not charged
    an entrance fee into home games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    We have close on 250 underage players affiliated to us from 20s down as far as under 8s. Sick to death of laminators after doing up the passes

Do you have clubs schoolboy affiliated clubs that help you gain licensing or is the whole Galway League affiliated?

Follow Us on Facebook and Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast