Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Will Ireland Qualify for WC2010??

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruben Sosa View Post
    Given Dunne Carsley Keane... Our own spine aint bad....
    I agree that we have the potential makings of a very good spine, the players have massively underperformed for a few years now and our spine hasn't had that much playing time together. There are also some massive weak links in the team: if Finnan and O'Brien don't come back out of retirement our defence doesn't look very good indivually (particularly left back), Doyle's poor form means that we may have to try a new player there (or bring back Morrison), and despite having a potentially excellent central midfield, no proper partnership has ever looked close to being forged between two of our players there. Then there's the constant injuries to key players, particularly Duff.

Plus, as methodical as Trapattoni probably is, the last time we went for an extensively tactical coach in Kerr, the players got bored of it, particularly the video analysis (which were only 20 minutes long apparently). Will the same thing happen again? As the old cliché goes, the players That said, Trapattoni is obviously a far superior coach to Kerr. As I said, we have the potential to be a good side, but we haven't lived up to it for a while now and I fear that Trapattoni may not have enough time to patch things up properly. I expect us to push the Bulgarians for the play offs, but we could definitely do better if Trapattoni gets the formula right quickly enough.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I think he will get it right. And I think all our nearly men will up their game's by 10-20 percent under Traps stewardship. That's what great managers do. Look at Beenhaker with Poland. The first thing he said to the player's was 'You are good enough'. He inspired them to their first Euro's. Great men do things like this. Trap is a great man.

Exactly.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Given Dunne Carsley Keane... Our own spine aint bad....
    Don't rate him at all. I wouldn't have him near the starting 11 and don't think Trap will either. He can't pass a ball 10 yards and he plays in the most important position on the team. The two Reids are light years ahead of him as midfielders.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I agree about Carsley. He is a problem. I hate his distribution of the ball.

Andy Reid, Steven Reid and Owen Garvan are the players who should be considered for starting places when all fit. Maby even this McCarthy guy breaking through next season(he will be 18 afterall)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Don't rate him at all. I wouldn't have him near the starting 11 and don't think Trap will either. He can't pass a ball 10 yards and he plays in the most important position on the team. The two Reids are light years ahead of him as midfielders.
    Carsley is useful enough when played in a strictly defensive role, as he does with Everton.

At Everton, the playmakers come to Carsley to take the ball off him. The longest pass he'll make there is about 5 yards.

With Ireland however, Carsley was always expected to play as a traditional central midfielder, which he simply isn't talented enough to do.

I think he can be very useful for Ireland in the right formation and system, but in a traditional flat 4-4-2 I don't think he would perform.

As for Trap rating him, he specifically mentioned him in his press conference as a key player with experience.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    I just worked it out:
    Cyp 0-2 Ita
    Georg 0-1 Ire
    Mon 1-1 Bul
    Ita 3-0 Georg
    Mont 1-2 Ire
    Bul 0-0 Ita
    Georg 1-2 Bul
    Ita 3-0 Mont
    Ire 2-0 Cyp
    Ire 3-0 Georg
    Cyp 3-1 Georg
    Mont 0-1 Ita
    Ire 1-0 Bul
    Bulg 2-0 Cyp
    Georg 1-1 Mont
    Ita 2-0 Ire
    Bul 1-0 Ire
    Cyp 2-1 Mont
    Bul 3-0 Mont
    Cyp 1-1 Ire
    Georg 0-2 Ita
    Ita 2-1 Bulg
    Mont 2-1 Cyp
    Cyp 2-2 Bul
    Mont2-1Georg
    Ire 0-0 Ita
    Bul 3-1 Georg
    Ita 4-0 Cyp
    Ire 2-0 Mont

Italy 26
    Ire 20
    Bulg 18
    Cyp 9
    Mont 8
    Georg 2
    Having finished second, who do we draw in the play-off?
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    According to my calculations Scotland. We win 1-0 at home, draw 1-1 away.
    Great. Joe Lapira grabs the last minute equaliser in Scotland to secure qualification.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Great. Joe Lapira grabs the last minute equaliser in Scotland to secure qualification.
    He be worth shout after what I saw in Croker

On serious note in the freezing cold in Croker on Saturday night we will need much improvement if we are to get too WC2010 only thing I felt was that it was end of season and most these players are more focused on there sunshine holidays.

I think Murphy may well be option to play up front especially if we are play a long ball game which we did on Saturday night, anyone agree / disagree??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian View Post

On serious note in the freezing cold in Croker on Saturday night we will need much improvement if we are to get too WC2010 only thing I felt was that it was end of season and most these players are more focused on there sunshine holidays.

I think Murphy may well be option to play up front especially if we are play a long ball game which we did on Saturday night, anyone agree / disagree??
    I was wearing shorts FFS.

I honestly don't think long ball will be part of our game once we get players like Reid and McGeady back.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    I was wearing shorts FFS.

Were you expecting too come off the bench for the game?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian View Post

Agree with you, since Quinn retired we have being badly missing a target man and although he is not in the same class as Quinn he still got that crucial header that led to the goal, not saying he should start every game but he would give us more options to mix up the way we play

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    Agree with you, since Quinn retired we have being badly missing a target man and although he is not in the same class as Quinn he still got that crucial header that led to the goal, not saying he should start every game but he would give us more options to mix up the way we play
    Your last point about mixing it up is what I was thinking also. He's useful because he gives us something that neither Doyle or Keane are really good at and that's winning the ball in the air he is also able to have a physical presence and I think he and Keane could work wonders for Ireland.

We had something similar in World Cup 02 with Quinn able to come off the bench and be affective e.g Germany.

I would not take too much notice of the performance on Saturday (although wish it could have showed more progress) I think important thing is that we don't become predictable and that we have Plan B's C's etc...

And of course be effective from set pieces and organisation is vital

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    When I see some of the predictions, it really shows how touch and go it is for us to qualify. It seemed much easier in years gone by. This group could end up being like that group when nobody lost, but everyone drew too much, and then by France beating us put them in the driving seat. I honestly don't think Italy have the type of players to run away with a group. I love Italy, and they have great players, but maby some people here understand what I mean.

Hibernian-I asked Trap, but he said he couldn't possibly allow me with the shorts I was wearing. I also forgot my shin guards.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    When I see some of the predictions, it really shows how touch and go it is for us to qualify. It seemed much easier in years gone by. This group could end up being like that group when nobody lost, but everyone drew too much, and then by France beating us put them in the driving seat. I honestly don't think Italy have the type of players to run away with a group. I love Italy, and they have great players, but maby some people here understand what I mean.

Hibernian-I asked Trap, but he said he couldn't possibly allow me with the shorts I was wearing. I also forgot my shin guards.

I suppose we'll probably do well against Italy, but fall down in other games. I really hope not though. We are in serious need of the boost that qualification would bring... The Trapattoni effect could be timely!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    If we beat Bulgaria in Bulgaria on March 28th, we will beat Italy on the 1st of April in Italy as well. Mark my words.

I have a feeling the Bulgaria match will be much easier than expected, we will look in control for long periods but the match will end up like the Slovakia game.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    If we beat Bulgaria in Bulgaria on March 28th, we will beat Italy on the 1st of April in Italy as well. Mark my words.

I have a feeling the Bulgaria match will be much easier than expected, we will look in control for long periods but the match will end up like the Slovakia game.
    Have you seen how we're playing lately not to mention our away form of the last god knows how long. Havent won a decent game away from home in ages!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I genuinely think we'll be rolling into Soth Africa come the summer in 2 years time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagull-4-life View Post
    I genuinely think we'll be rolling into Soth Africa come the summer in 2 years time

Ah sure why not, we'll stroll in like....
    "A silent mouth is sweet to hear"

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Fcuk qualifying.... we are gonna win the damn thing
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    now we might get Italy's backlash for the upcomming qualification campaign but after watching Italy during that tournament I honestly think that they are there to be overtaken in top spot from our group.

I for one know that know better team then Ireland to miss out on big chances but I think we could and so will Bulgaria be thinking that they can win the group.

Italy looked out of ideas and i know they were missing properly 3 best players but there not the same team from WC06 are they?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast