Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Ireland Qualify for WC2010??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Hopefully cos I'm going

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Hopefully cos I'm going
    we are all going mate

come on ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    Georgia 1 Ireland 2
    Montenegro 0 Ireland 0
    Ireland 2 Cyprus 0
    Ireland 2 Georgia 1
    Ireland 1 Montenegro 0
    Ireland 2 Bulgaria 1
    Bulgaria 0 Ireland 0
    Cyprus 1 Ireland 1
    Ireland 0 Italy 1
    Italy 2 Ireland 0

total 18 points.

My prediction should see Ireland go through to the play off. Who we get will determine whether we qualify.
    If we drop 12 points we'll be lucky to make the play-offs.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think we have a wonderful chance once we can get the team right and keep the main players fit. If we get Finnan and O' Brien back to partner Dunne and Kilbane/Delaney at the back. Keep the two Reid’s and McGeady fit. Get Duff back on form and get Robbie doing what he does best then we have a great chance. Can’t wait for the upcoming friendlys.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    If we are lucky with injuries and Trapp can tighten up the team defensively and minimize our weaknesses then we have a shot. I think we can get back to the level that Kerr had us at in the last WC campaign - and if we can add a bit of luck and composure then we can do it.

Dunne & Keane really need to show better leadership and guidance on the field, frankly I think neither is a great leader but they will be the guys who influence the team most. I think a lot depends on them.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Georgia 1 Ireland 2
    Montenegro 0 Ireland 0
    Ireland 2 Cyprus 0
    Ireland 2 Georgia 1
    Ireland 1 Montenegro 0
    Ireland 2 Bulgaria 1
    Bulgaria 0 Ireland 0
    Cyprus 1 Ireland 1
    Ireland 0 Italy 1
    Italy 2 Ireland 0

total 18 points.

My prediction should see Ireland go through to the play off. Who we get will determine whether we qualify.

Italy will win the group easily enough, though they could drop points to someone like montenegro. Bulgaria and ourselves will slug it out, but overall I think we are the better team. Many of their players play in the Bulgarian, russian and turkish leagues, while by and large our lads play in the premiership.

could really see montengro being a complete banana skin and the trips to georgia and cyprus will be uncomfortable.

Agree with most of this but if we are to qualify we cant lose to Italy at home so need a draw there and i think we'll beat cyprus away, with revenge very much on the cards.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    i think we'll beat cyprus away, with revenge very much on the cards.
    Don't talk like that, remember what happened the last time Stan and Keane talked about getting revenge on Cyprus?

Anywho its a tough task for Trap, I can see us doing well at home but we have been brutal away from home for a long time now, 1st game against Georga away I feel will be crucial if we are going to change this losing menality away from home

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Agree with most of this but if we are to qualify we cant lose to Italy at home so need a draw there and i think we'll beat cyprus away, with revenge very much on the cards.
    I think we will beat Gerogia away and at home. I agree also think we will beat Cyprus this time around as we will be organised much better this time around. I think we have to get 4 points from Bulgaria to be honest this will be vital.

We have to at least beat Italy at least once if we want to top the group maybe two draws will do also. This might be a bridge too far I would take play-off right now if I was given it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian View Post
    I think we will beat Gerogia away and at home. I agree also think we will beat Cyprus this time around as we will be organised much better this time around. I think we have to get 4 points from Bulgaria to be honest this will be vital.

We have to at least beat Italy at least once if we want to top the group maybe two draws will do also. This might be a bridge too far I would take play-off right now if I was given it.
    This is a good post. I'm not disappointed we've drawn Cyprus again. Hopefully it will show whether or not the mindset amongst the players has changed.
    I think Trapattoni has indictated that professionalism is required while making the players feel less pressure also, a halfway house between the last two managers. He definitely made reference to giving them small concise info on opponents rather than subjecting them to hours of footage.
    I'm hopeful for this campaign but thats all it is, hope.
    Last edited by Kingdom; 15/05/2008 at 8:57 AM.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    for me, the first games against georgia and montenegro are crucial. if we were to get 6 points (i expect 4) then I would fancy us to beat Cyprus away.

Also, I do feel we are due a really huge win; ie beating Bulgaria away or beating italy at home. I didn't put these type of results in my predictions, but I think with a guy like Trap, were we to get an early lead we would have the discipline to hold on.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Also, I do feel we are due a really huge win; ie beating Bulgaria away or beating italy at home. I didn't put these type of results in my predictions, but I think with a guy like Trap, were we to get an early lead we would have the discipline to hold on.
    I know our away record is bad (ok shocking) but as you say we are due an away win sooner rather then later and I think it may just come against Bulgaria and why not.

Bulgaria are no world-beaters by any means, it will be difficult to beat them but I think they will say the same about us when they come to Croker. This is where I think the Trapattoni factor will come in big time he will look at games like this and set out the game plan to get results and hopefully nick a win at places like Bulgaria rather then setting out just to hope for a draw.

We actually do have the players to do a good job even if some play in Championship in England. We just have to look at teams like Czech Republic who would have players playing in some cases lower leagues and standards then our boys here and they can go to Germany and win 3-0.

A little self belief I think is what our players need and maybe we now have people in charge who can provide that which we have not had since Big Jacks days.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    A large number of things will have to go our way in order for us to be successful in qualification. First off, we need to avoid major injuries to our key players of Dunne, Hunt, the two Reids, Carsley, and Keane. I've given up on Duff at this point, sad to say.

Clearly we need to aim for second place and hope that Italy can clear the table. This is even more important that us beating the minnows. If Italy can take six points off Bulgaria and we can nick a draw at home against the mob then we'll be alright I think.

The third, and most important thing, is avoiding the embarassment we suffered at the hands of Cyprus last time out. We can't afford to lose to anyone except Italy and we must get at least two points off of the Bulgarians.

I'd love to seem Trap blood one or two young players, but no more than that. I think he should call up young Jamie McCarthy from Hamilton and let us see what all the fuss is about. We need to cap him while we can, he must be under tremendous pressure to switch to Scotland.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Simply, no

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's too early to tell what sort of an impact Trapp will have as we have not even had any friendlies under him yet. We need two or three competitve matches before we'll have some idea. Please don't anyone underestimate Cyprus - they've embarrassed us already and are a better side than many people give them credit for; if we disrespect them again, then we will get turned over again. As to whether or not we will qualify - we definitely have the talent to make the playoffs but the manager really does need to make a very positive impact before that becomes a realistic possibility. As someone has already said, I am hopeful but nothing more (right now).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Third again. We don't have enough leadership in the middle of the field to win the big games.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post
    Remember our managment team are made up of winners and to them 2nd will be failure if they don't win a play off.
    Our players are in the main losers.

If they finish above Cyprus they will have done outstandingly well for the level they are at. Above Montenegro even better.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post

If they finish above Cyprus they will have done outstandingly well for the level they are at. Above Montenegro even better.
    Yep I take that beating Montenegro and Cyprus into first place will do fine thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    while i think Paddy Garcia is a wee bit over the top in his projection i do believe that we need to be realistic of our quality and prospects for this campaign. I think a close third may be the most realistic result. Anything better and Trap has worked wonders.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We can qualify for the tournament, but we're going to need an awful lot of good fortune to do so IMO. There are so many factors riding against us. I don't mean to have a go at the man again, and it's not all his own fault but Staunton really did leave the team in an awful state. We have very little back up for the defence, and very little back up players in attack who play regularly.

However, the most alarming thing for me is the lack of partnerships that his stewardship produced. Under Kerr we had an extremely stable squad and first eleven - perhaps too stable - but now we have very little continuity and there are no players who have played that much together. The amount of different players we used in each position has left us with far too many weak options and not a lot of good ones.

Trapattoni has a massive job on his hand, and if we do qualify it will be a wonderful achievement by him. That said though, we do have quality within our ranks and it is achievable if we go about things the right way.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post

So Stan was a good manager it was just the players, why did we bother replacing him??

No disrespect you're a pessimist.

My Projections

Italy Home Draw Away Draw 2 pts
    Bulgaria Home Win Away Loss 3 pts
    Montenego Home Win Away Draw 4 pts
    Cyprus Homw Win Away Win 6 pts
    Georgia Home Win Away Win 6 pts

Total 21 points
    Last edited by Greenforever; 16/05/2008 at 8:37 PM.
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast