Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Junior Footie Moment

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Greatest Junior Footie Moment

What would be ur greatest memory from a game of junior ball. the one that makes a remember the good ol days when ur team is struggling.

Mine would deffo be from a couple of seasons back after a couple of promotions in the previous few years we worked our way up the divisions and were on verge of promotion to premier league for first time in clubs history. We blew the league title on last day of the season so ended up in a playoff for the 2nd promotion spot. Started the play off less two of our best players due to injury and were 2 nil down after 10 mins. steadied the ship to half time . Cant remember much being said at half time , but have never seen a transformation in a team like it for the resumption of the 2nd half( ala liverpool Vs Ac Milan in champs league final from a few years back) . We scored early 2-1, then equalised with about ten minutes to go. The game just went end to end for last 10 mins and in about 94th min our 17 year old sub who we brought on at left back ghosted in at the back post on the right side ( however he ended up on the right wing when he was meant to be playing left back ill never know) to prob the ball over the line for his first goal for the club. Cue wild celebrations, was madness. Definatly my top memory from my 18 years in the game.
    Consecutive relegations since in what were 2 nightmare seasons where everything that could go wrong went wrong might make ya wonder is it worth the effort ya put in, but thinking back on games like that play off just make sense on why we all plough on season after season

Anyone else have there favourate junior games from there past glory days
    if it wasnt for birds and booze id have played for ireland juniors!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Knocking Ballymun Utd out of the FAI Junior cup mid 90's when they had about 5-6 junior internationals and thought they would cruise through. Fantastic feeling.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Declan Casey's Free Kick for Pike Rovers against a then star studded Clonmel Town a few years back, Second half of extra time, last 2 minutes. Epic.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That goal was against St. Kevin's Green Hoop. Great match that was had everything.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
    That goal was against St. Kevin's Green Hoop. Great match that was had everything.
    Was it? Jesus,memories going..never a good sign.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    and you call yourself a Pike man.....laughable

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by starbar View Post
    and you call yourself a Pike man.....laughable
    Glad I won't be seeing you next season...enjoy 1A....Laugh

Couldn't think of any for star for you spam...typical

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Happy Memories

Great thread!

Mine would be beating Fairview in their own back yard on the way to winning the Junior Cup in 2000. Barry Flynn scored a free kick from 35 yards and just stood there with a blank expression on his face. As an ex View man he was stunned and I remember he cried like a baba in the dressing room after (sorry Bar). Then Declan Roche volleyed in the winner from the edge of the box and you could have heard a pin drop for about 2 seconds, before our entire squad and the usual 10 travelling supporters went berserk with delight. Everyone was shaking like leaves after the game with the pure adrenalin, and we knew there and then that our name was on the cup that season. Plus the View had beaten us in the final in '97 and the win excorcised a lot of demons.

A big memory of the day was how Fairview were so gracious in defeat and gave us a great ovation and reception afterwards in their clubhouse. Absolute class. One exception was the forty-something lady who hopped on the coach as we were leaving and gave our keeper Mick Dowd a perfect right hook to the nose. Improved Micks looks no end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Mine would be beating portmarnock in the fai junior cup final of 2003 thus excorcising that crushing defeat of 2000(only joking Dr.Mad ) No i would have to say beating carrick in the 2004 final was the sweetest,match was played in the rsc with carrick having approx 4000 supporters compared to a few hundred of ours

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    While the memory & details are a bit sketchy and open to correction – the main points of a golden moment for me was in 1994 when Clonmel Town won the FAI. While the final was an undoubtedly great afternoon, the one-sidedness of the game didn’t give it the same excitement of (and here’s where I’m open to correction) the quarter final at home to Neilstown of Dublin. This was back in the days of the Dubs dominating the competition so there was a big buzz with their visit. ‘Twas a miserable wet day (try and picture that in Clonmel) but a good crowd was in. ‘Town were 1 down well into the second half but equalized with not much time remaining. Then in the closing moments with the crowd all in close to the pitch and actually cheering on the team (doesn’t happen enough these days) one of ‘Town’s all time greats Ollie Cahill scores a great header to clinch the match.
    Ok maybe you had to be there but a moment that I’ll remember for a while!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lim abroad View Post
    Mine would be beating portmarnock in the fai junior cup final of 2003 thus excorcising that crushing defeat of 2000(only joking Dr.Mad ) No i would have to say beating carrick in the 2004 final was the sweetest,match was played in the rsc with carrick having approx 4000 supporters compared to a few hundred of ours
    Mine would be the same game against Carrick.
    If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later

FORM IS TEMPORARY, CLASS IS PERMANENT

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Memories

Mine was in London playing for a Sunday morning pub team. We were playing against a good young team (they even had track suits!!). We went 2 down. The ball bounced in front of me in a crowded penalty box. Panic get rid of it. Volleyed it. However straight at the refs head. He collapsed - out cold. Game abandoned ref taken to hospital. He was ok - probably too much Stella the night before. In the replay we won with a poxy goal late in the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sinabhuil View Post
    Mine was in London playing for a Sunday morning pub team. We were playing against a good young team (they even had track suits!!). We went 2 down. The ball bounced in front of me in a crowded penalty box. Panic get rid of it. Volleyed it. However straight at the refs head. He collapsed - out cold. Game abandoned ref taken to hospital. He was ok - probably too much Stella the night before. In the replay we won with a poxy goal late in the game.
    brilliant.
    Sure it was a grand ole team to play for....Sure it was a grand ole team to know..

Hail Hail!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    fairview's first game in the FAI senior cup, against a leinster senior side (is still a proud moment for a junior team) down to 10 men, behind twice , equalise twice and then heading into injury time get the winner with ten men..... what celebrations at the fairgreen
    'You should never have a bad game, off the ball.......'

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Winning the 2A league and Cup double with Pike B last season. Small crumbs to most people but our B team had won nothing for twenty years. Great season for all involved. And for B players involved for years it was a nice change from the struggles we were (and again this season are) used to!! Favourite A team moment is the thrashing of Balla in the Munster Junior Cup Final and also the home win against St. Kevins with Special K's free kick as mentioned already above.
    Last edited by Pike B; 14/05/2008 at 5:45 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Galla View Post
    While the memory & details are a bit sketchy and open to correction – the main points of a golden moment for me was in 1994 when Clonmel Town won the FAI. While the final was an undoubtedly great afternoon, the one-sidedness of the game didn’t give it the same excitement of (and here’s where I’m open to correction) the quarter final at home to Neilstown of Dublin. This was back in the days of the Dubs dominating the competition so there was a big buzz with their visit. ‘Twas a miserable wet day (try and picture that in Clonmel) but a good crowd was in. ‘Town were 1 down well into the second half but equalized with not much time remaining. Then in the closing moments with the crowd all in close to the pitch and actually cheering on the team (doesn’t happen enough these days) one of ‘Town’s all time greats Ollie Cahill scores a great header to clinch the match.
    Ok maybe you had to be there but a moment that I’ll remember for a while!
    I think you maybe thinking of the St Pauls match in the quarter final, when Town scored two in the last five miutes. Tommy Hewitt equalised and Paul Scully ( another Town great) got the winner. That was a great day. One of my favourites, was beating Evergreen of Clonmel in the area final 3-2, one of the truly great Junior matches ever played in Clonmel, it had everything you could want in a match. Happy days

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Loving this thread!

Gerry the Ferry - glad I made you happy with that.

See you in Kilmuckridge first 2 weeks in August

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    mine would have to be when Rock Rovers played a very good Portmarnock team at home in Carrick on Suir in the last 16 of the FAI great game took them all the way to penos only to be beaten 5-4 Portmarnock had some junior internationals(Barry Flynn was one)in their team and it was a great expierience,the lad who missed the penalty still gets a slagging over it but his excuse was he missed on purpose because the club wouldnt be able to afford a long away trip in the next round!!!!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I remember that Kamikaze, you should have beaten us in normal time that day.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mad View Post
    I remember that Kamikaze, you should have beaten us in normal time that day.

Well i will have to go with what happened in the island field last sunday morning...Alan Mortan clearing his lines and the ball goes 50-60 yards up the field and colin gorey knocks the ball safely back to his keeper(well thats what he thought) but when the keeper went to control the bal with his leg it went straight under and into the back of the net...Greatest moment in Junior footie..I arrest my case!¬

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast