Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Trapattoni names his first Ireland squad of 28

Taken From RTE.ie

Trapattoni names his first Republic squad
    Tuesday, 13 May 2008 15:09
    Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni has named his first Irish squad when he announced a panel of 28 players for a training camp in Portugal, followed by friendlies with Serbia and Columbia.

Not one of the trio of Stephen Ireland, Steve Finnan and Andy O'Brien have been named in the panel after Trapattoni held talks with them about returning to the fold, but goalkeeper Dean Kiely returns to the Republic squad after previously retiring from international football in 2003.

Trapattoni insists the door is still open for Ireland, Finnan and O'Brien and said: 'It is now up to them to decide what to do.'

John O'Shea, Aiden McGeady, Darren O'Dea, Richard Dunne and Robbie Keane were all left out of the training squad due to their late season exertions, but will link up with the squad for the friendlies on 24 and 29 May.

Shay Given, Lee Carsley, Kevin Kilbane, Steven Reid, Darron Gibson and Joey O'Brien all miss out through injury.

Trapattoni told the official FAI website: 'Any player who is not in this squad is still in my thoughts. Some players who were not in the preliminary squad are in this squad because they have impressed and are playing in positions where we had vacancies.

'We will continue to monitor every Irish player from the start of next season and if they impress they will be brought into the squad.

'The next two weeks are important. It is my first opportunity to work with the players and I am looking forward to it. We will have two training games in Portugal and the games against Serbia and Colombia so I will get to see all the players playing.'

The kick-off time for the Serbian clash has been moved from 7.30 to 7.45pm.

Republic of Ireland squad:
    Goalkeepers: Colin Doyle, Dean Kiely, Joe Murphu
    Defenders: Alex Bruce, Damien Delaney, Richard Dunne, Kevin Foley, Stephen Kelly, Paul McShane, Darren O'Dea, John O'Shea
    Midfielders: Damien Duff, Owen Garvan, Darron Gibson, Wes Hoolahan, Stephen Hunt, Aiden McGeady, Stephen McPhail, Liam Miller, Darren Potter, Andy Reid, Martin Rowlands, Sean Scannell, Glenn Whelan
    Forwards: Kevin Doyle, Robbie Keane, Andy Keogh, Shane Long, Daryl Murphy
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No Ireland, O'Brien or Finnan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    good to see Wes Hoolahan in the squad deserves it after a great season with blackpool fair play mate
    No Sig is a Good Sig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Gibson misses through injury but named in the squad?
    Who is this guy, Trapper Tony?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Alex Bruce in ahead of St Ledger, total joke!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Still no Lawrence. Weird.
    Who is this guy, Trapper Tony?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pateen View Post
    Taken From RTE.ie

Trapattoni names his first Republic squad
    Tuesday, 13 May 2008 15:09
    Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni has named his first Irish squad when he announced a panel of 28 players for a training camp in Portugal, followed by friendlies with Serbia and Columbia.

Not one of the trio of Stephen Ireland, Steve Finnan and Andy O'Brien have been named in the panel after Trapattoni held talks with them about returning to the fold, but goalkeeper Dean Kiely returns to the Republic squad after previously retiring from international football in 2003.

Trapattoni insists the door is still open for Ireland, Finnan and O'Brien and said: 'It is now up to them to decide what to do.'

John O'Shea, Aiden McGeady, Darren O'Dea, Richard Dunne and Robbie Keane were all left out of the training squad due to their late season exertions, but will link up with the squad for the friendlies on 24 and 29 May.

Shay Given, Lee Carsley, Kevin Kilbane, Steven Reid, Darron Gibson and Joey O'Brien all miss out through injury.

Trapattoni told the official FAI website: 'Any player who is not in this squad is still in my thoughts. Some players who were not in the preliminary squad are in this squad because they have impressed and are playing in positions where we had vacancies.

'We will continue to monitor every Irish player from the start of next season and if they impress they will be brought into the squad.

'The next two weeks are important. It is my first opportunity to work with the players and I am looking forward to it. We will have two training games in Portugal and the games against Serbia and Colombia so I will get to see all the players playing.'

The kick-off time for the Serbian clash has been moved from 7.30 to 7.45pm.

Republic of Ireland squad:
    Goalkeepers: Colin Doyle, Dean Kiely, Joe Murphu
    Defenders: Alex Bruce, Damien Delaney, Richard Dunne, Kevin Foley, Stephen Kelly, Paul McShane, Darren O'Dea, John O'Shea
    Midfielders: Damien Duff, Owen Garvan, Darron Gibson, Wes Hoolahan, Stephen Hunt, Aiden McGeady, Stephen McPhail, Liam Miller, Darren Potter, Andy Reid, Martin Rowlands, Sean Scannell, Glenn Whelan
    Forwards: Kevin Doyle, Robbie Keane, Andy Keogh, Shane Long, Daryl Murphy
    Ya it's a pity Liam Lawrence wasn't one of them. Does he know he qualifies for us, I do wonder!

Who were these players he was talking about anyway? Bruce and who else?
    San Marino are going to be a handful as the group goes on." - Steve Staunton reacts to performance against San Marino.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbyblob View Post
    Still no Lawrence. Weird.
    Agreed.

Congrats to Damien Delaney......another ex Cork City star.
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbyblob View Post
    Gibson misses through injury but named in the squad?
    I noticed that too but if you count the amount in the squad it adds up to 29. So obviously Gibson is out.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    It's great to see so many new names in the squad. It's nice to see Kiely and McPhail back as well.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question No Clint?

Disapointed not to see a slot for the Clint, obviously more of viable present striking option than the Longs of the world. Feel that from hearing him interviewed re: wanting to get back into squad, having Trap watch him at Stoke etc. that he would have definitely took his chance and performed if he was selected. Palace have a slight chance of th e play-off final but seeing as Scannell has been named, I'm at a loss...
    'hold on a minute baby, you have jumped over the fence'

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Disapointed not to see a slot for the Clint, obviously more of viable present striking option than the Longs of the world. Feel that from hearing him interviewed re: wanting to get back into squad, having Trap watch him at Stoke etc. that he would have definitely took his chance and performed if he was selected. Palace have a slight chance of th e play-off final but seeing as Scannell has been named, I'm at a loss...
    Long has scored 3 goals in 5 games for Ireland.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambler14 View Post
    I noticed that too but if you count the amount in the squad it adds up to 29. So obviously Gibson is out.
    I think we're allowed to have 28 normal players and one wind up the northerners token player!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colster View Post
    Long has scored 3 goals in 5 games for Ireland.
    granted, but hardly important goals eh? Bolivia in the US (I seem to remember Dominic Foley scoring all round him there a few years ago for us and he never materialised as an International player), could have managed a double against Denmark myself, they were woeful. Morrison, unlike most of our striking options include keane, has scored important goals in COMPETITIVE away games. Long looks decent but not a reliable current option at this level IMO, Im not saying Morrison is world class but in competitive games, he has more experience, has scored goals and would get my shout..
    'hold on a minute baby, you have jumped over the fence'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    omission of Clint, St. Ledger, Lawrence and Kenny are disappointments but it is great to see him cast the net wider than his illustrious predecessor...
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post
    I think we're allowed to have 28 normal players and one wind up the northerners token player!
    alex bruce has already filled that position

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Is Ste Reid injured? RTE website said 'Trapattoni's choices were further limited by injuries to Shay Given, Lee Carsley, Kevin Kilbane, Darron Gibson and Joey O'Brien' no mention of Reid.
    Martin Rowlands has had a good season with QPR picked up player of the year awards. Good to see him and Hoolahan get in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Seen both Delaney and Rowlands over at QPR this year. I must say I was very impressed with Rowlands he was excellent. Delaney was good also but I think he just lacks a yard of pace. Great news for QPR...
    "Joe Jordan is off to watch Young Boys tomorrow" Ian Darke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    And I'll say what we're all thinking, where the hell is david connolly?
    no i believe most of us are thinking "where the hell is Ciarans defence of Stephen Ireland?"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    no i believe most of us are thinking "where the hell is Ciarans defence of Stephen Ireland?"
    Or the fact that there is a dozen or so players from the championship!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast