Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Trapattoni names his first Ireland squad of 28

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post
    well his last 10 yrs have been head of youth development at Arsenal, and they've broguht thru some pretty good players in that time.
    I'd rather employ their chief scout

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    I'd rather employ their chief scout

very good, and give him a load of blank Irish passports
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [quote=theworm2345;944164]I don't believe a friendly is an official competition, even if it is FIFA recognized. I'm not good with all of this complex language so if an English major or something can try to decipher it that would be great, and we can avoid a debate

quote]

You are not tied unless you have played a competitive game at senior level, however FIFA and UEFA reserve the right to change the rules at a whim for political expediency

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    I don't believe a friendly is an official competition, even if it is FIFA recognized. I'm not good with all of this complex language so if an English major or something can try to decipher it that would be great, and we can avoid a debate

Page 32

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affe...en%5f14479.pdf
    Jesus Worm you have a strange belief system.
    At this stage there is no excuse for you.
    For penance do a search through the Darron Gibson eligibility threads.
    Page 346 should do it.
    or if you were smart just do a search through the Joe Lapira thread.
    Or some other recent thread which escapes my memory.
    But please do not clutter up threads with a mistaken belief system.

Senior Friendly = "A" International

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Jesus Worm you have a strange belief system.
    At this stage there is no excuse for you.
    For penance do a search through the Darron Gibson eligibility threads.
    Page 346 should do it.
    or if you were smart just do a search through the Joe Lapira thread.
    Or some other recent thread which escapes my memory.
    But please do not clutter up threads with a mistaken belief system.

Senior Friendly = "A" International
    You are not tied unless you have played a competitive game at senior level, however FIFA and UEFA reserve the right to change the rules at a whim for political expediency
    Since when is a friendly a competitive international?

See:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cunningham
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Armas
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Vasquez

Don't you look like an idiot now? For penance jump off a cliff
    Last edited by theworm2345; 17/05/2008 at 11:21 PM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Seeing as you already over the line and smoking a cigar in the winners enclosure can we have a bet on this?

Can we finish this once and for all???!

in particular
    show me the way to go home

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Seeing as you already over the line and smoking a cigar in the winners enclosure can we have a bet on this?

Can we finish this once and for all???!

in particular
    show me the way to go home
    Apparently you didnt read my edited post, please explain how those three change teams if it is not legal?

Also, according to BigSoccer the FAI said Lapira is not cap-tied
    http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=us
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Since when is a friendly a competitive international?

Who said a friendly is a competitive international.

Look before you leap.....

i'll spell it out for you, it was being sarcastic in the way FIFA and UEFA suit themselves regarding eligibilty of players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    If I'm right whats the problem? Geysir certainly appears to be saying I'm wrong

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=48
    My Guarantee

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Worm you are not making the slightest effort to figure out my post.
    It is not up to me to do an investigation into the intricateness of your thinking.
    You should have made the effort to understand my post.

If you read the Joe Lapira thread you would have seen my reply to those examples.
    FIFA CHANGED THE RULES OF ELIGIBILITY.
    Those examples you gave predated the change and were based on the old eligibility rules to change ones national team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Worm you are not making the slightest effort to figure out my post.
    It is not up to me to do an investigation into the intricateness of your thinking.
    You should have made the effort to understand my post.

If you read the Joe Lapira thread you would have seen my reply to those examples.
    FIFA CHANGED THE RULES OF ELIGIBILITY.
    Those examples you gave predated the change and were based on the old eligibility rules to change ones national team.
    My thinking may be even a little more off than before, but I'll give it a pop

According to our wonderful Football Association (and Greenforever), as of 359 days ago, when Lapira appeared for Ireland, the rules were the same as before, as evidenced in the email sent by the FAI to that guy at BigSoccer, Lapira is not cap-tied, so neither would be Scannell.

Right now I'm quite tired, confused, and a few other things, so I'm off to bed. No one really seems to know the answer so perhaps I'll email FIFA or the FAI in the morning. Or, if someone would like to lay it out plainly for me and without sarcasm (if you are going to be sarcastic, use a smiley) that would be nice too

Good night
    Last edited by theworm2345; 18/05/2008 at 4:40 AM.
    My Guarantee

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Well, good to see a gregarious spirit of conviviality is alive and well here,
    ye bunch of tossers. Smiley for Worm: And just to show I'm not being sarcastic there: . Really, I'm not.

I've just had a look at the pertinent Article and like the vast majority of legal instruments I've had to trudge through it is commendably (in the sense that it takes a lot of effort) ambiguous.

As an uninteresting aside, my theory is that the s'hit-kickers get stuck drafting these things and as a spiteful attack on the world they make them as nonsensical as possible, so no shame on you Worm. Less conspiratorially, the problem could be that the drafters are privy to the basic logic and arguments driving the need for the provisions, but fail to appreciate future readers may not be. It's like the fella telling you a story but leaving out a few crucial contextual details that of course you should've known because he does, even though he didn't tell you.

Anyway, on the off-topic, my interpretation follows Geysir's; the key point is the first one in 3 (a). I.e. because the upcoming matches are at "A" international level if Scannell plays then, regardless of his tender age or that the match is a friendly, he will be tied to Ireland for ever and ever. End of, fact, etc.

I can easily see how you got confused Worm, you know, being American and all -- chill, joke. But seriously, the Article was written to clear up underage-capped players rather than senior so must be read in that light. So there's no need to get bogged down in the "before his 21st" and "official competition" bits, that only comes into play for players who haven't played a senior international. To reiterate, the only words you need concern yourself with are the first dozen or so in 3 (a).

Hopefully that's laid it out plainly for you. I do apologise for slipping in a bit of sarcasm on one occasion though. Geysir's influence is clearly brushing off on me! If you've any more questions post them here. I wouldn't bother e-mailing the FAI. Now I've one question for you: What were the "few other things" you were last night?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Jesus, you're sure taking your time to get the bottom of this lads!!

Lapira isn't tied to us. Neither will any player who plays a part in the forthcoming friendlies.

Indeed perhaps a useful example of how seriously these friendlies ar etaken is Kieron Westwood. He's been called up to the Ireland squad. Who on this board believes that he has an Irish passport. Up until the other day he said he 'wasn't exactly irish!' I also seem to recall a player, Anthony Gerard I think it was, who played a number of games in underage friendlies for us, before it was realised that he wasn't actually entitled to play for us!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Can someone put the answer on a feckin sticky.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    My thinking may be even a little more off than before, but I'll give it a pop
    You should have gone with the initial thought.

According to our wonderful Football Association (and Greenforever), as of 359 days ago, when Lapira appeared for Ireland, the rules were the same as before, as evidenced in the email sent by the FAI to that guy at BigSoccer, Lapira is not cap-tied, so neither would be Scannell.
    I asked you to read the short Can we finish this once and for all thread where that letter was debated. There is no need to debate it twice.
    Or open up that thread to ask another question.

Strangely, I do seem to remember reading some poster on Big Soccer called Worm pouring scorn about this so called letter from the FAI.
    Could be wrong

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Anyone else suspect Scannell will be given a cap just to tie him to the cause? I don't think he's anywhere near ready yet.
    I think this is probably the main reason but don't think its a bad thing either, am kind of surprised that McCarthy at Hamilton wasn't called up for the same reason
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Yep, was thinking the same about McCarthy.

Anyway, I don't see why Geysir's understanding of the relevant clauses is under question.

Once McGeady came on for a minute against Jamaica or whoever it was he was tied to us.

Likewise Lapira and anyone who plays the next couple of friendlies.

An "A" International is a senior game, friendly or not. Once you play in one of these that's it. The next bit of the rule book says playing any game in an "official competition" also ties you. This, in my understanding is a catch all phrase, but given what it already says about any type of "A" international, by default it means underage or B international.

Therefore the only opening for a player to wriggle out of being tied to a particular country is to have played at a level other than "A" international and NOT in an official competition, i.e., a "B" international or underage international friendly. If one has played in these type of games only he can "change nationality" once and only if he's not yet 21.

It does allow for the political situation where a player's nationality can be repudiated etc. but unless there's some pretty major political upheaval around these parts it means that any debutant playing for us this month is tied. FIFA can always change the rules again of course!
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 18/05/2008 at 3:57 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Not this again! So tell me how many players have we lost anyhow that went on have decent careers?

When I say lost I mean players who actually played for us a youth level then jumped ship. So I don't count Kevin Nolan as he never actually played even if he was kitted out once and on the bench. He obvioulsy wasn't sure then and has hummed and hawed a few time since when it was too late.

If there are any doubts in the minds of Scannell or McCarthy they should wait and decide who they really want to play for. But I think these 2 lads, McCarthy especialy know what they want.

Keiren Westwood should not be in the squad unless he can explain his comments quoted in the media, they just may have come out wrong. But if he just happens to have an Irish granny and that is all and he has no real Irish connection he should not be in the squad - whether or not we have better options available. Neither should Bruce.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Keiren Westwood should not be in the squad unless he can explain his comments quoted in the media, they just may have come out wrong. But if he just happens to have an Irish granny and that is all and he has no real Irish connection he should not be in the squad - whether or not we have better options available. Neither should Bruce.
    Westwood's father is from Dublin
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    there are conflicting reports. Some say he qualifies through parentage, others by grandparentage. I think its his Dad's mum he qualifies from.

I hope he's been misquoted but I don't really see why he couldnt have said something like "I wasn't born in Ireland but i'm proud of my Irish heritage and would love to play for the Republic of Ireland at International level." Instead of the "I'm not Irish as such" and "I would definately consider" (playing for Ireland)

Anyway he's been picked now and best of luck to him

I can't believe the elegibility rules debate is back. I thought we'd sorted this out a while ago

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast