Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Marc Wilson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Marc seems to be forming a solid parnership with Kaboul, after regaining his place in the side after injury.

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/News/Dynamic-Duo.aspx

Could be a surprise inclusion in the play off squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,331 Posts
    I'd be shocked if he gets a call up. The centre halves of choice are Dunne, O'Shea, St Ledger, McShane, McCarthy
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    He should be next in line though. He has to be ahead of O'Dea anyway

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carloz View Post
    He should be next in line though. He has to be ahead of O'Dea anyway
    Why??
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Why??
    He is playing Premiership football. He has looked capable at that level. O'Dea is playing for a brutal Reading team and couldn't break into what was an absolutly awful Celtic defence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    866 Posts
    He is playing Premiership football. He has looked capable at that level. O'Dea is playing for a brutal Reading team and couldn't break into what was an absolutly awful Celtic defence.
    O Dea did well anytime he played for Celtic, including in the San Siro against Milan in Champions League. Wilson might be playing Prem football but its in a team that have lost almost every game this season. To be honest I havent seen alot of Wilson but O Dea is a class defender and will be a future Ireland captain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    O Dea did well anytime he played for Celtic, including in the San Siro against Milan in Champions League. Wilson might be playing Prem football but its in a team that have lost almost every game this season. To be honest I havent seen alot of Wilson but O Dea is a class defender and will be a future Ireland captain
    Seriously think you have the Celtic glasses on there mate. Yes he looked excellent in the two legs against AC but its the rest of his career that has me worried. McManus, Caldwell, and Naylor were all keeping him out of the team at different stages. He is not exactly setting the world alight at Reading either. Shame as i would love to see the guy be as good as you think

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think Wilson's versatility is another string to his bow which would impress Trappatoni. So far in his fledging career he has played at full back, centre back, midfield and on the wing for Portsmouth. With the transer embargo posed on the club today, this will only improve his first team chances.

I think the 4th centre back spot is up for grabs, though I do find it hard to see Trap bring new members on board at this stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    866 Posts
    Seriously think you have the Celtic glasses on there mate. Yes he looked excellent in the two legs against AC but its the rest of his career that has me worried. McManus, Caldwell, and Naylor were all keeping him out of the team at different stages. He is not exactly setting the world alight at Reading either. Shame as i would love to see the guy be as good as you think
    Strachen I always thought showed an unwillingness to play young players ahead of experienced players. Before going on loan this season Celtic tied O Dea down to a new 3 year contract and he also captained the team in a league game when McManus and Cauldwell were injured.McManus and Cauldwell are both captains of Scotland so it was always going to be difficult for a youngster to dislodge one of them, but its worth noting that Cauldwell has not being offered a new contract while his current one expires at end of this season, so I fully expect O Dea to be 1st choice there come next season.As for this season, any reports Ive seen say he doing ok at Reading,but I think he is currently injured.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stiffler View Post
    I think Wilson's versatility is another string to his bow which would impress Trappatoni. So far in his fledging career he has played at full back, centre back, midfield and on the wing for Portsmouth. With the transer embargo posed on the club today, this will only improve his first team chances.

I think the 4th centre back spot is up for grabs, though I do find it hard to see Trap bring new members on board at this stage.
    Agree with this stiffler, Paul Hart is giving him the chance he's been after and he's doing a decent job. Useful to have a player who can switch positions during a game or fill in at other poitions.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Darren O'Dea belongs in League 1 from what I've seen from him so far in his career. Razor you must be on the drink or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Darren O'Dea belongs in League 1 from what I've seen from him so far in his career. Razor you must be on the drink or something.
    How many times have u actually seen him to make that judgement....although after your prediction of Italy hammering us 4 nil in Croker you will forgive me if I dont pay much attention to your opinion.Ive seen him alot and I'll stand by my comments
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 28/10/2009 at 8:55 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    You've seen very little then.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lads keep the chat about Darren O'Dea to the relevant thread!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Listen, no disrespect, I understand that you like the guy. I was mad on Paul McShane after his debut against the Czechs three years ago and look how that turned out.

The bottom line is that O'Dea is three months short of his 23rd birthday, yet he has failed to break into the first team at any club. 23 is old to have never put a consistent run of first team matches together.

I hope you're right about him but I just don't see him making it as he's far too old already. If he was as good as you say, he would have made it already. As ridiculous as it sounds, 23 is damn old for a footballer - you only get ten to fifteen quality years in a career.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    511 Posts
    Listen, no disrespect, I understand that you like the guy. I was mad on Paul McShane after his debut against the Czechs three years ago and look how that turned out.

The bottom line is that O'Dea is three months short of his 23rd birthday, yet he has failed to break into the first team at any club. 23 is old to have never put a consistent run of first team matches together.

I hope you're right about him but I just don't see him making it as he's far too old already. If he was as good as you say, he would have made it already. As ridiculous as it sounds, 23 is damn old for a footballer - you only get ten to fifteen quality years in a career.
    barry van gallen made his debut for the netherlands aged 34 in 2004 against andora! its never too late to realise your potential! he retired in 06 is a scout for az now the mans a legand
    Last edited by Acornvilla; 28/10/2009 at 9:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Yeah but come on O'Dea hasn't broken into the first team anywhere yet. Bary van Gallen was playing consistently for Haarlem in 1991 at age 21, according to wikipedia. Big difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    511 Posts
    Yeah but come on O'Dea hasn't broken into the first team anywhere yet. Bary van Gallen was playing consistently for Haarlem in 1991 at age 21, according to wikipedia. Big difference.
    im not particularly on any side of this debate.
    im dissapointed with how o'dea has progressed since breaking onto the scene...

i think wilson has plenty of potential as this is his second year getting a run in the team at a higher level regardles of how his team fares week in week out he is up against quality players which will stand him in good stead in the future. Probably a better long term prospect

and dutch lower devision is pure muck he became a class act playing fr az thru his own hard work and deserved his cap he was player of the season that year aswell. has a serious shot on him. anyway yea i think wilson is the better player

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I'd be shocked if he gets a call up. The centre halves of choice are Dunne, O'Shea, St Ledger, McShane, McCarthy
    He would /should certainly be ahead of McShane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Live on Sky Sports now, Stoke v Portsmouth. 1st Half just over.

Commentator remarked on how solid Wilson & Kaboul have been.

Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast