Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Marc Wilson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    didn't make the match day 16
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Any news on his progress since Adams got the boot? Has he made any of the match-day squads since?

On a side note, what do people make of Home Farm's link up with Portsmouth?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    Any news on his progress since Adams got the boot? Has he made any of the match-day squads since?

On a side note, what do people make of Home Farm's link up with Portsmouth?
    Depends on how much Home Farm are getting. To be honest im not a fan of English clubs taking our players at such a young age. If only we could ban players from playing there until they are 18/21 and develop them ourselves

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdomkerry View Post
    Depends on how much Home Farm are getting. To be honest im not a fan of English clubs taking our players at such a young age. If only we could ban players from playing there until they are 18/21 and develop them ourselves
    All I will say in response is that the money isn't really in Ireland for a top-tier pro game.

Why not let kids go over to the UK if it means they'll have a better shot at the big time (better coaching, facilities, wages, etc).

In addition, I think kids that go over at a young age have the benefit of being an "academy" player, and thus getting more chances at breaking through than a "foreign" youngster (although maybe this isn't true anymore).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Anyone got any further updates on Wilson?
    Has he been making the Portsmouth squad in the past while?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Anyone got any further updates on Wilson?
    Has he been making the Portsmouth squad in the past while?
    Seems he last played the full 90 minutes in Pompey's first two games of 2009 (FA Cup 3rd Round and Replay versus Bristol City), followed by a two minute appearance as substitute in their following League game vs Spurs (18/01/09), but has failed to feature in the matchday 18 since:
    http://www.portsmouth-mad.co.uk/footydb/loadtmrs.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    He had a dose of the mumps, and is only just back to full health, according to the Boro VS Pompey preview here - http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-1672810.html
    Richard Hughes is available after a hamstring injury and Marc Wilson (mumps) has recovered, and both could be involved at some stage.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Didn't they find the cure for mumps 50 years ago?
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    He had a dose of the mumps, and is only just back to full health, according to the Boro VS Pompey preview here - http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-1672810.html
    Thanks for that Tets.

That certainly explains his absences of late. He had been making good progress up until Adams' sacking. Hopefully he can establish himself in the Portsmouth side between now and the end of the season.
    He is certainly an exciting prospect for us - a technically accomplished, composed CB. In my opinion, he will form along with O'Dea our future central defence.
    Last edited by The Fly; 16/03/2009 at 10:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Marc had a bad dose of the mumps and was back in Ireland recuperating recently.

Hopefully he will get back into reserve action soon, and help build on his early season form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    Didn't they find the cure for mumps 50 years ago?
    People can still catch it, there's a cure for the measles but a friend of mine caught it in college

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    People can still catch it, there's a cure for the measles but a friend of mine caught it in college
    http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/432/main.html
    There is no "cure" for mumps, just a vaccine to prevent catching it. It is unusual, but hardly unknown, for unvaccinated adults to get it (you normally get it as a kid)
    That said, it usually passes within a week or so, with no further effects, so doctors usually just treat the symptoms (fever, headache etc) til the patient is better.
    Talking of "symptoms", I happen to know about this from a holiday in Italy with some student mates way back. One of the guys took ill with a swollen neck and fever etc, so we took him to a hospital in Turin.
    None of the available Doctors spoke English and none of us Italian. Eventually they found a young female Doctor who spoke French, so I was roped in to translate between her and my mate.
    We were managing rightly until she came to one question about symptoms, where I didn't know the correct French vocabulary.
    Eventually she kinda "mimed" it and I realised she was asking if his balls were swollen!
    I could hardly ask my mate for laughing, with the effect made worse by the look of panic on his face when he realised!
    It all became too much when I asked him if he wanted either of us to look for him...

Anyhow, I've since learned that she was checking for "Orchitis" - one of the symptoms of Mumps in adults...

P.S. There is no cure for Measles, either, just a vaccination. Swollen testicles aside(!), it is potentially much more serious than Mumps, occasionally being fatal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    He is certainly an exciting prospect for us - a technically accomplished, composed CB. In my opinion, he will form along with O'Dea our future central defence.
    could be very wrong but i thought his preferred position was center-midfield?? and that he was playing right-back to fill in for an injury situation... i might be losing it!
    zombie/thread killer..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ken foree View Post
    could be very wrong but i thought his preferred position was center-midfield?? and that he was playing right-back to fill in for an injury situation... i might be losing it!
    I've seen him play at right back and in central midfield for Portsmouth and he looked good in both positions.

Perhaps in his youth team days he was a centre-half, and maybe that's his natural position, but he looked like centre-mid or full-back could be his natural positions.

Looks a good versatile, technical player.

Perhaps a Portsmouth relegation would be the best for his career if they drop some of the older players and start a bit of a rebuild.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Any news on him?
    Has he made it back to full fitness after his illness?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Next season could be a big season for him because it will be interesting to see if Portsmouth hang on to Glenn Johnson or take a big transfer fee for him.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/432/main.html
    There is no "cure" for mumps, just a vaccine to prevent catching it. It is unusual, but hardly unknown, for unvaccinated adults to get it (you normally get it as a kid)
    That said, it usually passes within a week or so, with no further effects, so doctors usually just treat the symptoms (fever, headache etc) til the patient is better.
    Talking of "symptoms", I happen to know about this from a holiday in Italy with some student mates way back. One of the guys took ill with a swollen neck and fever etc, so we took him to a hospital in Turin.
    None of the available Doctors spoke English and none of us Italian. Eventually they found a young female Doctor who spoke French, so I was roped in to translate between her and my mate.
    We were managing rightly until she came to one question about symptoms, where I didn't know the correct French vocabulary.
    Eventually she kinda "mimed" it and I realised she was asking if his balls were swollen!
    I could hardly ask my mate for laughing, with the effect made worse by the look of panic on his face when he realised!
    It all became too much when I asked him if he wanted either of us to look for him...

Anyhow, I've since learned that she was checking for "Orchitis" - one of the symptoms of Mumps in adults...

P.S. There is no cure for Measles, either, just a vaccination. Swollen testicles aside(!), it is potentially much more serious than Mumps, occasionally being fatal.

When I was 12, I (and all my siblings) got the measles, I passed out at the top of the stairs in my house, took a header straight down and was in a coma for 3 days, that's my memory of the measles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Wilson sent home from Portugal for breach of club discipline: http://www.football365.com/story/0,1...474094,00.html

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    At least the lad has some fight in him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Portsmouth Man Of The Match award last week

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/index....articleid=2726