Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Marc Wilson

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    This all seems a bit silly. If I have a problem with my boss, I go and talk to my boss and try and sort it out. Wilson might be well advised to do the same rather than blathering about it in a newspaper.
    Why would Wilson talk to his boss when the player is the victim in all this mess.

Trap hammered him in public by accusing him of something he clearly didn't do. The manager's mistake. Yet, it appears he can't be bothered ringing Wilson to apologise.

If Wilson is asked a straight question by some journalist about what he thinks of this treatment, is he expected to lie or, even worse, fudge it because the truth might be controversial?

Give the lad a break.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf Honn View Post
    Why would Wilson talk to his boss when the player is the victim in all this mess.

Trap hammered him in public by accusing him of something he clearly didn't do. The manager's mistake. Yet, it appears he can't be bothered ringing Wilson to apologise.

If Wilson is asked a straight question by some journalist about what he thinks of this treatment, is he expected to lie or, even worse, fudge it because the truth might be controversial?

Give the lad a break.
    To be fair, Trap didn't accuse Wilson directly. He was talking about Wilson. Then he spoke about a player breaking curfew etc in his own indeterminable style of English. The media then ran with the story that it was Wilson. There was no retraction or clarification, even a mention from the media when Trap tried to clear it up, but C'est la vie.

A lot of us would think we'd do a better job with communication than Trap, but nearly every time we've criticised him, it's turned out to be a storm in a tea cup. Wilson doesn't deserve an explanation any more than I do. He's a pro footballer who will get picked by his peers. Get on with it.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    To be fair, Trap didn't accuse Wilson directly. He was talking about Wilson. Then he spoke about a player breaking curfew etc in his own indeterminable style of English. The media then ran with the story that it was Wilson. There was no retraction or clarification, even a mention from the media when Trap tried to clear it up, but C'est la vie.

A lot of us would think we'd do a better job with communication than Trap, but nearly every time we've criticised him, it's turned out to be a storm in a tea cup. Wilson doesn't deserve an explanation any more than I do. He's a pro footballer who will get picked by his peers. Get on with it.
    Irish Independent - 14 Jan 2012...

"I cannot say why," said Trapattoni. "But important reasons. The players have to have a certain behaviour when they come into the team. They cannot betray the other, loyal players. If he wishes to go, then no problem."
    Trapattoni was then directly asked if he would welcome Wilson back.
    "When he sees us and says, 'I'm sorry, I made a great mistake'," he responded.

QED.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think it's clear that Trap just confused him with another player. He made the above comments and when it was pointed out to him he had to retract it. The more worrying issue for all of us is that Trap doesn't seem to know the difference between some of his own players.

Both Trap and Wilson were wrong to speak publicly about their grievance but, unfortunately for Wilson, Trap is the boss.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Yea there seems to a be a lot of confusion here it needs sorting out Trap thinks he did Wilson thinks he
    didn't they need to come to agreement on the fact of the matter which should be a straightforward thing to do.
    Trap must supply his evidence and Wilson his and perhaps arrange some sort of trial with an independent judge or
    referee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf Honn View Post

Give the lad a break.
    Personally, I don't care who's the victim or who's in the wrong. These men could get in touch with each other in about 10 minutes if they wanted to, I'd be sure. They should all sort out their grievances and get on with things.
    Besides, if my boss hammered me in public for something, I didn't actually do, I'd be straight away to him to set him straight. How could he ever feel the need to apologise if he doesn't know he's wrong? What I wouldn't do is harbour a grudge for months and tell a man from a newspaper about it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    I'm pretty sure Trap publicly acknowledged before the Czech game that he was wrong in identifying Wilson as being involved in the incident in question. How do we know that no contact between each party or their representatives took place?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Trap publicly acknowledged before the Czech game that he was wrong in identifying Wilson as being involved in the incident in question. How do we know that no contact between each party or their representatives took place?
    Wilson said so in the article on Sunday.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    I'd assume Rowan was posing supposed statements (to Wilson) from Trap as facts about his feelings towards Wilson.
    He was named in the team to start against NI but had his mobile phone turned off and didn't turn up, nevertheless he was later included in the squad to start against Croatia. It's all very unclear what transpired.

Yet Trap was thinking about some player, which player?
    Struntz? Baggio? Best?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I think its a shame that this apparent bust up has taken place at this time as the current squad hasn't got much in terms of LB options apart from Ward, and Wilson has played there for most of his time at Stoke also he is fairly versatile having also played at right back and as a Defensive midfielder. Hopefully they will sort it out soon and it doesn't become a distraction for the rest of the players and the press in the same vein as the Stephen Ireland will he won't he (who cares!?) coverage. Although even if they do sort out their differences I still doubt Wilson would make the euro's squad given he only has one cap iirc.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Wilson's value to Ireland will become more apparent when the likes of Dunne and O' Shea retire. He is possibly our most versatile player and at least in the interim could cover centre half or even help out in midfield. With the upcoming World Cup Campaign I think calls for his inclusion will grow louder and louder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Trapattoni assures Wilson he has a future with the team: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...e-3103814.html
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    And there was a phone call. Excellent stuff.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Good stuff.

Still a bit puzzled though. Has Wilson's shunning all been down to an error on Trap's part then - a grudge based on a belief that Wilson breached discipline - or was Wilson's lack of contact back during the Carling Nations Cup reason enough for that? Did we ever get to the bottom of what happened there exactly? Wasn't there a communication problem for his team-mate Jonathan Walters at the exact same time, yet Walters is off to Poland now? I know the FAI accepted Walters had a long-term issue and acknowledged there was an innocent communication error, but did they suspect Wilson of bad faith? Wilson was later called into our squad for the Croatia friendly, but returned to his club after being assessed unfit to play by the FAI doctor. Wouldn't that indicate that he hasn't, in fact, been given the cold shoulder for lack of contact during the Carling Nations Cup and that his unfortunate fall from grace has all been down to a pretty major and unjustifiable error of identity on Trap's part?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    I wouldn't accept all your surmises to be fact, leading up to that Trap blacklisted Wilson based on an identity mix up.
    Ward turned up fit and was played in the friendlies and when KK was injured (later axed) he was slotted in at FB in the first team
    Perhaps Wilson was a scapegoat perhaps not, who knows? McCarthy also found himself at the back of the queue as well. Perhaps Walters was more genuine.

Wilson is a poor enough left back. I hope he gets shifted to a central position.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    He won the 'Coaching Staff's Player of the Year' the other night. Very solid season for him.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    I suppose he is a great admirer of Van Persie

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqg9d2_stoke11_news

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Wilson's best hope of making the Ireland team, in my opinion, is at CM and even there, I'd rather have Whelan, Andrews or Gibson, at the moment.

At left back, he is not outstanding. Leaving aside the established choices and cover (Ward, Kelly, O'Shea, O'Dea, even Delaney) we have Cunningham and possibly Enda Stevens coming through.

He is not a natural CB from what I have seen. He'd be behind Dunne, St. Ledger, O'Dea, Duffy and McShane. Then you have others in the U21s who will be pushing for that spot: Kiernan at Wigan and Connolly at Bolton, who might capitalise on Wheater's injury.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    You mean Trap's judgment might actually be right? Again? Persih the thought.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Trapattoni's judgement was to pick Wilson ahead of Ward for the LB position.

Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast