Thread: Marc Wilson

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    If Stoke sign him I wonder will Glenn Whelans place be under threat
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Wonder if Avram's bid has anything to do with Scottie Parker's future plans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Deal almost done - £2.5 million with Lawrence and Kitson moving to Portsmouth as part of the deal: http://www.football365.com/story/0,1...348782,00.html
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    If I was Lawrence I would'nt go. Is it the money or some other pressure that clubs exert to get players to take a transfer that they probably should'nt.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    At least he'd be guaranteed a game and as long as he puts in the performances, Portsmouth would probably have to listen to offers for him in January anyway.

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Well as he is under contract (presumably) I doubt he has little choice in the matter.
    However if he was not happy to go I doubt Portsmouth would want to take him.
    Also presumably it guarantees he gets to play, which what most players want to do.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    At least he'd be guaranteed a game and as long as he puts in the performances, Portsmouth would probably have to listen to offers for him in January anyway.
    They couldn't sell him in January, you can only be registered to two clubs a season

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    They couldn't sell him in January, you can only be registered to two clubs a season
    Really? I would have thought that restricting someone employment like that would be illegal?
    I can't see the point anyway, why limit how many clubs you can play for in a season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Colbert, was he ever registered though? He hasn't been in any of Stoke's squads as far as I know.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    It doesn't matter if you play or not, players may only be registered to two clubs within the same one year period from July 1 to June 30. This is why the Robinho saga is so interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Yes but what I'm asking is if Lawrence was even registered. I mean if he's not been named in a squad, and is presumably not named in the 25, then I think he's available to move on again in January should that situation arise.

I don't see it happening so it's all theoretical, but as far as I understand he would be able to move on.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Players can be registered to three clubs; they may only play for two. Lawrence hasn't represented Stoke this season, so he'd be free to play for two more clubs.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Thanks Charlie, I stand corrected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Really? I would have thought that restricting someone employment like that would be illegal?
    I can't see the point anyway, why limit how many clubs you can play for in a season?
    Colin Healy and Gareth Farrelly were prevented from lining out for Cork City a few years ago due to this rule and both had their appeals rejected at the time. The rule (FIFA Regulations for the Status and Transfer of Players, Chapter III: Registration of Players, article 5.3) stated:

Players may be registered for a maximum of three clubs during the period from 1 July until 30 June of the following year. During this period, the player is only eligible to play in Official Matches for two clubs.

Healy had played for Livingston between March and August of 2006 before moving to Barnsley. He then moved to Cork City in February of 2007 but was restricted from actually playing for the club until July of 2007. Farrely had been with Bohemians, Leicester (although I don't think he ever played for them) and Blackpool within a similarly short period of time before signing for Cork around the same time as Healy.

There are further details here, although FIFA amended the rule after lobbying from the FAI in 2008: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_F.I.F.A._2

The rule now contains the following addition:

As an exception to this rule, a player moving between two clubs belonging to associations with overlapping seasons (i.e. start of the season in summer/autumn as opposed to winter/spring) may be eligible to play in official matches for a third club during the relevant season, provided he has fully complied with his contractual obligations towards his previous clubs. Equally, the provisions relating to the registration periods (article 6) as well as to the minimum length of a contract (article 18 paragraph 2) must be respected.

What all this means for Lawrence is, I think, that he'd be OK to move on again in January and play for a third club just so long as he hasn't appeared for Stoke before making a move now. And he hasn't, so I think he'd be fine. If Lawrence had appeared for Stoke this season, however, and then went on to play for Portsmouth, the aforementioned exception would not apply to him, unless, of course, the third club he moved to in January operated within a league beginning in either Winter or Spring. I think I have that right...

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Actually, that article appears to suggest that it was Healy's loan-move to Bradford City whilst he was at Barnsley that ruled him out of playing for Cork. Is that correct?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The Livingstone part is irrelevant - he left them before the start of the season. So he had played with Barnsley, Bradford and was therefore unable to play when he joined Cork City.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Wilson relishing Stoke challenge: http://www.skysports.com/video/inlin...352656,00.html
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    The downside is of the transfer is that it may well mean that Whelan gets lesser opportunities in centre midfield for Stoke. Unless perhaps Wilson is played at centre half for Stoke.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    he has a weird accent its almost dublin with a slight northern twang.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    The downside is of the transfer is that it may well mean that Whelan gets lesser opportunities in centre midfield for Stoke. Unless perhaps Wilson is played at centre half for Stoke.
    Haven't they re-purchased Salif Diao as well?

It looks like Stoke, having been promoted and stayed up for 2 (or 3?) seasons, now think that they can start reinvesting their windfall rather than saving for a rainy day back in the Championship. I'm not sure of their financial situation but that'd make sense.

Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast