Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Marc Wilson

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I could be wrong but I don't believe that he's played at left back for the five calender years of 2005-2009. If you are so intent on arguing the point, please provide a link to a game sheet which will prove otherwise. Thank you.
    without looking through a load of stats google just gave me this one example...
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/1710/man...ited-quadruple
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    "The Irishman was part of the Red Devils' side that conquered brave Derby County 4-3 on aggregate after last night's second leg of the Carling Cup semi-final at Old Trafford. O'Shea, playing at left-back last night, scored his first goal of the season as United overcame a 1-0 first leg deficit to reach Wembley"

Well that takes care of that! He played left back against the mighty Derby County in a League Cup match! No need to fret Mr. Trapattoni, your left back fears have disappeared!

Get real. A league cup match hardly counts. He hasn't played left back at the Champions League, Premeirship, or international level at all in the past five years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    from here: http://www.4thegame.com/club/manches...johnoshea.html

He continued this fine form in 2007/08, but proved more of a utility man than first-team regular. The following season saw injuries to the likes of Wes Brown, Gary Neville and Patrice Evra give him a steady run of games in both full-back positions, and he finished the season at right-back in the Champions League Final.
    from here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...ry-crisis.html

''Stretched to the limit" was how John O'Shea described matters, though the Irishman is at his most valuable when Manchester United are at breaking point. On Tuesday night he was first asked to fill in for Scholes and then shifted to left-back to cover for Patrice Evra, who had broken down during the warm-up.

''It's always going to be like that for me," O'Shea said. "I was due to start the game in midfield but played most of it at left-back and then finished in midfield. I just enjoy being in the team.
    this is a fun game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    this is a fun game
    Keep playing Stu. If he's so good at playing left back, then why did Trapattoni not play him there for a single minute of the twelve qualifying matches when:

-left back was clearly our weak spot

and

-John O'Shea was clearly our best defender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Someone out there is bound to have all the stats for Ireland games in the last 5 years.If Im wrong about O Shea playing left back for Ireland in the next 5 years I think I'll give up posting on this forum coz Im obviously not a proper fan if Im so wrong about something like that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Keep playing Stu. If he's so good at playing left back, then why did Trapattoni not play him there for a single minute of the twelve qualifying matches when:

and

Richard Dunne might have something to say about that. O Shea was excellent but not clearly better than Dunne

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Someone out there is bound to have all the stats for Ireland games in the last 5 years.If Im wrong about O Shea playing left back for Ireland in the next 5 years I think I'll give up posting on this forum coz Im obviously not a proper fan if Im so wrong about something like that
    http://www.soccerscene.ie/sssenior/m...ils.php?id=394

there you go, have at it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Richard Dunne might have something to say about that. O Shea was excellent but not clearly better than Dunne
    Richard Dunne had a terrible season in 2008/09. His form led to him being off-loaded to Aston Villa for a paltry five million pounds. John O'Shea, meanwhile, made more appearances for Manchester United in that same season than any other player. He was consistently in the first team for a club which won the Premiership and got to the Champions League final, where he started and completed the match at right back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Richard Dunne had a terrible season in 2008/09. His form led to him being off-loaded to Aston Villa for a paltry five million pounds. John O'Shea, meanwhile, made more appearances for Manchester United in that same season than any other player. He was consistently in the first team for a club which won the Premiership and got to the Champions League final, where he started and completed the match at right back.
    Your statement was that OShea was clearly our best defender... I interpreted that as our best defender in the qualifying campaign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Your statement was that OShea was clearly our best defender... I interpreted that as our best defender in the qualifying campaign.
    Fair enough. It is hard to judge a player's form over an entire qualifying campaign when you don't take the club matches into account. For example, Richard Dunne was in very poor form for Manchester City but played well for us in the international matches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha View Post
    He's still very young for CB playing at that level. Hopefully he'll learn from his mistakes and eventually cut such things out of his game. Time will tell and maybe he might end up as a RB in the long-term anyway.

Marc's natural position is central midfield. It could be possible that Ireland have a northern partnership in the middle of the park in years to come, with Wilson & Gibson.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Are you sure, I thought I remember him playing at left-full for Bournemouth

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgycanadian View Post
    Are you sure, I thought I remember him playing at left-full for Bournemouth

He played mostly at left midfield for Bournemouth, got on the scoresheet a few times for them too.

He actually made his Pompey debut in centre midfield in the carling cup. Given that, he has impressed significantly at centre back this season. His versatility will help him at a club like portsmouth to stay in the 1st team picture.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    516 Posts
    jesus christ this is a mark wilson thread i said he could be the next john o' shea because of his versatility! i dont give a sh1te about john o' shea playing left back especially if you have already had this argument!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts

and

Where are the goalposts gone>?!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Marc Wilson has signed a three-and-a-half-year deal that will keep him at Pompey until the end of the 2012/13 season.

The 22-year-old Irish defender made his first-team debut in last season’s Carling Cup defeat to Chelsea and has gone on to become a regular in the Blues back-line.

He has made 22 appearances so far this season and was one of the star players in Wednesday’s cruel loss at Fulham.

Wilson – who came through the youth ranks at Fratton Park – is delighted to extend his stay on the south coast.

He said: “I’ve always wanted to stay at Pompey. This is my seventh year here and I really enjoy it.

“The fans are great and I couldn’t imagine playing anywhere else.

“I’ve really enjoyed playing first-team football this season and learning from some very experienced players.

“There are a lot of good players here and even just training alongside them has helped me improve my game.”

Pompey’s defeat at Craven Cottage leaves them six points adrift of Premier League safety ahead of Saturday’s trip to Manchester United. But Wilson is confident that they can still secure survival.

He said: “We’ve got to stay positive and need to go into every game believing we can win it.

“We’ve been playing well but we need to take our chances – that’s been the story of our season.

“The players here are talented and are all determined to help the club stay up.”

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    This contract is obviously taken under the assumption that Portsmouth will still exist in three years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    This contract is obviously taken under the assumption that Portsmouth will still exist in three years.
    Or 3 weeks!
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Marc is having a good game as a defensive midfielder in today's cup quarter final against Birmingham.

Fahey, Carr and O'Hara also playing in game.

On ITV1 now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    He was excellent. O'Hara had a really good game too.

Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast