Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ukraine

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts

Ukraine

Any one been ? I'm thinking of going to Krym and Odessa, as they have dropped the visa requirements and so you can just fly in and fill in the form on landing ?

Any tips from anyone ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Yes. Been there loads of times. A mate of mine has a business in Kherson.I am sure that you will fly into Kiev. Pre-book a taxi or take a bus as the airport ones will take you for as much as you are prepared to give them. You have to spend at least a day or two in Kiev. It’s a beautiful city with even more beautiful women, the best in the world for certain and make sure you visit a night club called River Palace. Eat in the local restaurants as they are dirt cheap with excellent food and the beer is about 50p a pint. Take only light clothing with you and lots of factor 50 as it will be about 40 degree. There are two so called Irish pubs there if you get home sick at all. One of them is owned by a Brit. Just be careful with the police though particularly late at night. If you want to see corrupt policemen you will find them in Ukraine so make sure you carry a copy of your passport. Always ensure that you agree a fare with the taxi man before you get into the cab. You may find that some of the people are quite rude and abrupt in manner but overall they are quite a friendly nation.

I was in Odessa once about five years ago. It’s right on the black sea and a lovely city. Can’t remember much about it though. Took the train from Kiev station which runs overnight. It’s very cheap but buy a whole compartment for yourself where you can lock the door and have a good sleep safely. Don’t share with anyone as you may get beaten up and robbed by some skinheads with too much vodka down their throats. It’s happen a lot over there so watch you money and passport.Dont eat on the train as the food is poison. You can also take a flight there which takes a couple of hours.

Anyway I hope this help you a little. It’s a wonderful country and you will have an excellent time once you are on the ball . They accept US dollars widely. Enjoy
    Last edited by FarBeag; 10/05/2008 at 11:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    Any one been ? .... Odessa, as they have dropped the visa requirements and so you can just fly in and fill in the form on landing ?

Any tips from anyone ?
    That's the very same reason i went to Odesa in Sept. 2006 aswell. In case they change their minds.

Odesa city centre is a little down at heel but the streets get better around the Potemkin steps and towrds the port. I used the family stay mothers who stood outside the railway station in the centre of town on arrival and eve of departure. One good experience, one bad. I abandoned the bad experience and got a hotel near the Sanortoriums (Holiday spa resorts) outside the city centre. The bus station is away from the centre aswell.

I spent most of my holiday in Moldova (Chisinau) and the Romanian Danube delta side. I think there are some nice towns on the Ukraine side with some boat trips aswell.

I was in Kamynets-Podilskky (roman sp.?) near Chernovits. KP was the nicest town in the trip including a fortress almost surrounded by a gorge with a nice old town with some attractive squares. It is about 8-9hrs from Odesa and some buses go through Moldova, which isn't a bad thing.

In Odesa beer is sold and drunk on street from kiosk. Got some nasty frothing ones though (mental note more research needed.) Beggars collect the empty's aswell so just leave the bottle where someone can collect it.

Russian first language.

If I was going again to that corner, I would go to the Crimea pennisula as this is a Russian holiday destination. Also, there is supposed to be a music festival which last maybe 3 weeks during the summer.

I'm presumng aswell Ukraine is not your first visit to Central/Eastern Europe.
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    If you're going to the Crimea, it might be handier to fly via Istanbul to Simferopol. You should be able to go via Vienna or Germany either.

Yalta is well worth a couple of days. Beautiful setting, great weather, the best looking women in the world, plenty of things to visit..Masandra winery, a couple of fantastic palaces, some great hiking

Sevastopol is a must if you have any interest in Military history..Black Sea Fleet museum (they had their 225th birthday yesterday), museums of the 2 sieges (Crimean War and WWII), and plenty of hardware at various places, including an armoured train as you come in from Yalta.

If you're of a greater military history persuasion (guilty m'lud), you can also go to Kerch, where i think you can get a ferry to Novorossiysk (which is in Russia so visa required).

Chernigevskoii is a decent beer. That spelling may not be 100% correct
    Quote Originally Posted by FarBeag View Post
    Anyway I hope this help you a little. It’s a wonderful country and you will have an excellent time once you are on the ball . They accept US dollars widely. Enjoy
    Don't bother bringing dollars. Bring some Euros if you want, but there's ATMs everywhere.
    Last edited by sligoman; 12/05/2008 at 6:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What's the easiest way of getting to Odessa? I'm thinking of going, but from the Romanian/Moldovan side.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    There are plenty of trains and buses from Chisinau to Odessa, Romania I don't know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    I flew in and out of Odesa with Málev Hungarian but on arrival I headed North to Chisinau and eastern Romania.

From Chisinau/Kishiev (Rom./Russ.) to Odesa, there are numerous through buses (maybe up to 3 hours travel). They go through the Transdniestr autonous area. A passport and customs check to enter, I believe there should be no problems with an EU passport, the entry fee will depend on your passport I'm sure.

The easiest route from Romania to Chisinau is the town of Iasi (pron. YASH, NE of Romania), its near a recommended part of Romania, Bocovina, with rural villages and some other sites.

An alternative is to go North out of Romania into Chenovits (Cherinau? Rom.), Ukraine as described in a previous post and head south from there. I imagine the old Polish area around Lvov/L'viv is worth spending some time in too.

On the Danube Delta, I believe there are no water crossings for EU nationals. There ia a road connecting Galati (Rom.) through sth. Moldova ( 20 kms) and on to Southern Ukrainian towns. I never used this route, but I talked to a chap running a bus service on the route. At the time I hadn't a valid visa neccessary for Moldova.

Just looking at a map
    http://www.infoplease.com/atlas/country/romania.html

If you want to use this route maybe getting a charter to the Black sea and making your way up may be an idea

Moldovan Embassy London
    http://www.moldovanembassy.org.uk/index.php?text=0
    No visa for EU nationals
    http://www.moldovanembassy.org.uk/in...=42&page_add=3
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Just got back from a month mainly in Ukraine (also Moldova) and I have to say it's a great place. Highlight is Crimea, with Yalta, Sevastopol and Bachasary being well worth a visit.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Do you ever work?!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Not if I can avoid it

... I was made redundant in April, have picked up part time work since (which I can do one day a week, all I need is an internet connection). It looks like the prospects of getting a full-time job wont be great for another 6 months or so, so I've decided to do a bit of travelling in the last few months, and probably for the next few months too.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    Just got back from a month mainly in Ukraine (also Moldova) and I have to say it's a great place. Highlight is Crimea, with Yalta, Sevastopol and Bachasary being well worth a visit.
    Was the weather as nice as when I was there this time last year?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Yeah, one cloudy day in Odessa, and one rainy morning in Kamyanets but apart from that sunny and warm, Crimea was like the Italian Riveria in terms of heat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    any tips on kiev, im suppose to go there with friends next month, one of them know people over there, but im just wondering what to expect, i know itll be cold, but whats the night life like, would i need much cash, whats the story with visas, can you still just fill one in on arrival,
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    You don't need a visa, just don't lose the immigration card that you fill in on arrival.
    The nightlife in Kiev is wild.
    Money..dunno what things are like since the economy collapsed., the last time I was there there the hryvnia was about 7.5 to the Euro, I think its 11 or 12 now.
    The war museum is a must see (although that can be said for just about every former Soviet city). A day trip to Chernobyl is worth thinking about.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by don ramo View Post
    any tips on kiev, im suppose to go there with friends next month, one of them know people over there, but im just wondering what to expect, i know itll be cold, but whats the night life like, would i need much cash, whats the story with visas, can you still just fill one in on arrival,
    Good, there is lots to see and do there as well as the nightlife. I dont know if it's like Odessa where the venues for nightlife change from summer (Arkadia Beach) to winter (city center) - I know there are good summer bars on the banks of the Dniper river. I would say go on a river cruise, military museum (under the big woman statue) and caves monastery - all three are very worth while. Thinking about it the river might be frozen so I dont know if the boats will go - they go from the bottom of the hill under the unity arch. Chernobyl Museum and Golden Gate are good too. At tourist places you can fire guns (AKs, Makarovs etc) at firing ranges or drive a T-80 tank there too pretty cheaply if you're into that.

Alcohol is very cheap, as is food - a tip for food is go to Puzzata Hata, it's a Ukrainian self serve chain (red and white logo that looks like a waffle gone wrong) its great value. You get meat (chicken, shashlik - cubed kebab) and also traditional soups and plemini (ravioli pancake things - savoury).

How good is your Russian (Ukrainian) ? If you're with a native it should be ok. An election is happening very soon there now, and it will be hotly contested, with right wing, left wing, pro-EU (Polish funded), pro-Russian, and even a big Communist party all running. You will see lots of people running campaigns for it. Just be a bit careful as the election could get contested, and then I would stay indoors if you see demonstrations. Metro is very safe and the whole city is fine, maybe take a photocopy of your passport in case police ask for it - very unlikey to happen but you never know. All the Ukrainians I met were really friendly irrespective of their outlooks (pro-Russian, or pro-EU) if you try and speak to them in Russian (basic tourism Russian is the same as Ukrainian) they will do all they can to help you and often give you free tours of museums and ask you in for dinner - but it's like that all over the former USSR.

For beer "Oblon" or "Chernihiv" both are better than Western beers and cheaper too. Try the Odessan / Crimean champaign when you are there, it's about £3 a bottle but tastes great - I recommend you bring some of that or Khorchata (in Cyrillic it starts with what looks like an "X") vodka back as your duty free.

I was there 3 months ago, spent about 5 weeks in the country so if you need more information let me know. How long are you there for ? Crimea is beautiful and Odessa is worth a visit if youre in Kiev for more than a week (both are night trains, but Odessa can be done in a 6 hour mashrutka (minibus) but if youve never been in a minibus driven by a mad speed demon of a driver then stick to the train.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyCakes View Post
    Was the weather as nice as when I was there this time last year?
    Only saw this now, yeah it was great, blazing sunshine most of the time even in Kyiv at the end. Super place esp Crimea cant recommend it enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyCakes View Post
    A day trip to Chernobyl is worth thinking about.
    A few of us going over for the Rovers game(assuming they beat Glentoran) in a couple of weeks, flying into Kiev.

I'd be very interested in a trip to Chernobyl, is it handy to get to? Would their be a bus tour going from Kiev like or how?
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    A few of us going over for the Rovers game(assuming they beat Glentoran) in a couple of weeks, flying into Kiev.

I'd be very interested in a trip to Chernobyl, is it handy to get to? Would their be a bus tour going from Kiev like or how?
    It's not that handy - everything in Ukraine takes much longer than you expect it to, it's the biggest country in Europe (apart from Russia) and with the Chernobyl thing you could get ripped off fairly handy. Sligo are playing in Poltava, which is in the east. Pripyat/Chernobyl are north/west.
    Do yourself a favour and don't bother with Chernobyl, it's a depressing hole. Go to the Chernobyl museum in the Podil area of Kiev, (the Podil area is kinda laid back and cool - nice restaurants/clubs etc) then get an internal flight down to Crimea - go to Balaclava/Sevastopol and maybe Yalta. Crimea is beautiful, has a mediterranean climate and the chicks are seriously hot. Chernobyl? Nyet, spasibo.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    I'd recommend going to Chernobyl..its fascinating, if a bit grim. Plenty of companies do day trips from Kiev, just Google it. IIRC, its about a 90 minute drive, probably leaving at 9:00 and getting back at 6:00. I haven't spent much time in Kiev, but the war museum is worth visiting (although I say that about pretty much every ex-Soviet city). Poltava was the site of a major battle between Russia and Sweden in 17something.

As has been mentioned before, my recommended tipple is Chernigivske.

http://www.chernigivske.ua/en/beer/kinds.html

If you are planning on staying more than a few days, I heartily endorse the flying down to Crimea suggestion.
    Last edited by DaveyCakes; 19/07/2011 at 3:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Hoping to be off to Lviv myself. Anyone been?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast