Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MNS - First Division Related

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Do what I do and don't watch the show, I've no interest in Premier League football and so can't be bothered watching MNS, especially if there is a round up from one of the better leagues on Setanta or Eurosport

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finnpark View Post
    As a premier division supporter I actually agree with you. They should have highlights from at leats one match each week
    That's only because your team will be down there next season.

Quote Originally Posted by oldyouth View Post
    Probably agree that the general standard of 1st division football would not make great telly but...
    [b]...and stop. MNS is one of the most important things to happen to Irish football in years. It's the first time that the league has a chance to showcase itself on national TV, at primetime, for a decent length of time. We have to get it right. It's taken long enough to get this far and as far as I'm concerned right now the league is in the business of challenging the old prejudices about domestic football and trying to connect with the thousands of potential fans out there. That means showing the best teams in that league competing. The First Division may be exciting and competative but I'm afraid that's just not enough. It's not merely the standard of football although that's obviously an important part. It's about the overall look. Obviously Premier League games can be boring, lack skill, have low attendances and woeful defending, but it's the best we've got at the moment, and that's what it's all about for the time being, showcasing the best we've got.

Quote Originally Posted by 5ForKeeps View Post
    We only have to look up North how bad coverage of the League is up there. Hopefully, this won't happen here down South, we need to promote all aspects including the A Championship and u-21's. It would give all of us fans to get a glimpse at emerging talent. RTE just don't have a clue. The coverage of soccer in Ireland needs a re-structure so it can be promoted better, League and Cup games.
    Regardless of the level of coercion involved (and that's another reason the First Division won't be covered) RTE are doing a great job at the moment. Have you even seen ELW? It would be nice to have the opportunity to watch 'emerging talent' but surely it's putting the cart before the horse? When we have a credible league with a decent image in the country we can start showing U21, and A Championship games: right now, they're just not the priority. Let's walk before we start running.

Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    Don't Dundalk record some of their matches? I'm pretty sure they have a Youtube section, as well as Athlone. I know Limerick had enough to put together some footage from their matches to make the Setanta add.

If the clubs were willing to supply the footage (clearly some of them are already recording their matches), at no cost to RTE, they should definitely show the goals.

Whatever they do, they should get rid of 60.
    No, no, no, no, noooooo!! We can never, ever go back to the days of handheld, amateur footage. It looks absolutely horrendous, it's a total no-go area. The fact that ELW was on so late at night, in changing timeslots so it was unlikely you'd catch a glimpse of it, is the only reason handheld, youtube-esque camera clips didn't end up doing the league even greater damage than they did. I appreciate the effort put in by volunteers and I acknowledge the fact that the two-angles-awful-replays cameras used in MNS are not exactly going to be bothering Sky, but they are a vast, vast improvement. Unless we want to take a step back, that kind of footage can never be seen on MNS. Ever.

Oh and (off topic) 60-seconds is frothy nonsense but if it dehumanises players and makes people even the slightest bit more interested in the game here, it's worth it.

TV3 were useless alrite but the MNS show is near on the same as their Eircom League Weekly except longer and more analysis and that 60 second crap.
    No offence, but that's rubbish. There's no comparison.
    Last edited by thischarmingman; 08/05/2008 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    If the clubs were willing to supply the footage (clearly some of them are already recording their matches), at no cost to RTE, they should definitely show the goals.
    Is that footage broadcast quality though, TV3 didn't need it to be but RTE insist on it.

Whatever they do, they should get rid of 60.
    No going to happen, its got a good reaction so its not going to be dropped.

RTE have studio's all around the country in the main region town's/cities. For example, in City Square in Waterford if Damien Tiernan can go around doing feck all why don't they get him and a camera and do the Waterford/Wexford home games likewise in Limerick. Surely someone can come out of Donnybrook to show highlights of Shels and Sporting Fingal home games.
    Its the cost though, who will pay for it? Will the clubs pay? Even at that RTE might not budge as they only agreed on Prem coverage, and its the quality of the football that would be their primary concern.

Setanta need to have more of an input as well as RTE.
    You will have to take that up with Setanta. They are a separate company to RTE.

TV3 were useless alright
    Maybe ask them to cover First Div games/highlights

but the MNS show is near on the same as their Eircom League Weekly except longer and more analysis and that 60 second crap.
    That is some wild statement right there

They should have highlights package which covers all the games over the weekend in both divisions.
    They didn't sign up for it though

Show at least 1 game both the FAI Ford Cup and Eircom League Cup rounds and show both semi-finals and final on TV to promote the game more in the country at club level just like what is happening with the Setanta Cup.
    Ask them -> mns@rte.ie

As usual, FAI are backward thinking just like our government.
    The FAI have no say in how it is run, they are a Football Association. RTE are the National Broadcaster. They signed up for Prem games and thats what they are doing.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Is that footage broadcast quality though, TV3 didn't need it to be but RTE insist on it.

No going to happen, its got a good reaction so its not going to be dropped.

Its the cost though, who will pay for it? Will the clubs pay? Even at that RTE might not budge as they only agreed on Prem coverage, and its the quality of the football that would be their primary concern.

You will have to take that up with Setanta. They are a separate company to RTE.

Maybe ask them to cover First Div games/highlights

That is some wild statement right there

They didn't sign up for it though

Ask them -> mns@rte.ie

The FAI have no say in how it is run, they are a Football Association. RTE are the National Broadcaster. They signed up for Prem games and thats what they are doing.
    Of course the FAI have a say in how it is run who is making the changes for next season the FAI. Who controls the TV deals, fixtures etc.. the FAI. The FAI like the national team for the last 2 to 4 years haven't a clue. Next season 12 teams out of the 22 in the Eircom League will get no coverage it's a travesty that there isn't any exposure outside the Premier that is all i think, if they want the game to progress the game needs to be promoted better, i an example of this the draw for the League Cup Quarter-Finals no news when the draw is on. In fairness to Setanta they are showing Live games over the weekends but overall the Eircom League has the ability not to be the extremes of the Premiership but better than the SPL. I have emailed MNS anyway
    YNWA LFC
    Forza Youths!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Next season 12 teams out of the 22 in the Eircom League will get no coverage it's a travesty that there isn't any exposure outside the Premier that is all i think,
    pre·mier: prĭ-mîr', -myîr', prē'mîr

adj.
    1. First in status or importance.
    Surely it's supposed to be a competition. If you want the money, the exposure and the TV airtime, get promoted. Like I said above, it would be great to have a First Division highlights program, but it's not the priority right now.

if they want the game to progress the game needs to be promoted better,
    ...by showing the best teams in the fullest stadiums, with the better atmosphere, and the higher quality every week or by watching Kilkenny (average attendance: 191) v Wexford?
    Last edited by thischarmingman; 09/05/2008 at 4:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well Kilkenny ain't in the league even saying that there attendence average would have been worse only for the 2 Wexford games last season lol. Like a highlights section would be nice, even that would be a step in the right direction.
    YNWA LFC
    Forza Youths!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    I'm going to demand that BBC start showing League 2 highlights on Match of the Day then
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Réiteoir View Post
    I'm going to demand that BBC start showing League 2 highlights on Match of the Day then

Sky show League 2 highlights all the time!

One of the lads from orielweb contacted MNS and they said they will cover some First Division games "Towards the Business end of the season"
    Més Que Un Club - More than a Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Of course the FAI have a say in how it is run
    They absolutely do not have a say. The contract is signed and there is no going back on it. Its done.

Having said that, there is a working relationship. I'd imagine there are agreements to supply information, enable cameras at grounds (infrastructure, all done in eL licence) and there is a forum for their input/advice etc. but its all RTE after that.

who is making the changes for next season, the FAI.
    Yeah, thats their job.

Who controls the TV deals
    After they sign contracts then its up the the TV company who control the content. The TV deal is all worked out prior to signing, and once that is done its all down to the TV company

fixtures etc.. the FAI.
    Agreed

The FAI like the national team for the last 2 to 4 years haven't a clue.
    Wide open for debate, not unknown to happen on this forum

Next season 12 teams out of the 22 in the Eircom League will get no coverage it's a travesty that there isn't any exposure outside the Premier that is all i think
    You could be right, not saying you are not

if they want the game to progress the game needs to be promoted better
    Who, the FAI, definitely ..... its a must. It is vital if we ever want progress.

RTE, not in their remit (to an extent, something i have a problem with to be honest given their role as a National Broadcaster, but thats another debate) they have signed up for Prem coverage and they are doing that.

i an example of this the draw for the League Cup Quarter-Finals no news when the draw is on.
    Monday night on MNS ..... are i right? Can anyone confirm this?

In fairness to Setanta they are showing Live games over the weekends but overall the Eircom League has the ability not to be the extremes of the Premiership but better than the SPL.
    In time i'd agree with that, right now no. Walk then Run !!

I have emailed MNS anyway
    Fair play
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Flawless View Post
    Sky show League 2 highlights all the time!

One of the lads from orielweb contacted MNS and they said they will cover some First Division games "Towards the Business end of the season"
    So we wont be seeing Dundalk feature on telly so

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well Kilkenny ain't in the league even saying that there attendence average would have been worse only for the 2 Wexford games last season.
    Harps brought a bigger crowd to one game than the Youths did for two so you dont know what you're talking about!

Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    MNS is one of the most important things to happen to Irish football in years. It's the first time that the league has a chance to showcase itself on national TV, at primetime, for a decent length of time. We have to get it right. It's taken long enough to get this far and as far as I'm concerned right now the league is in the business of challenging the old prejudices about domestic football and trying to connect with the thousands of potential fans out there. That means showing the best teams in that league competing. The First Division may be exciting and competative but I'm afraid that's just not enough. It's not merely the standard of football although that's obviously an important part. It's about the overall look. Obviously Premier League games can be boring, lack skill, have low attendances and woeful defending, but it's the best we've got at the moment, and that's what it's all about for the time being, showcasing the best we've got.

RTE are doing a great job at the moment. It would be nice to have the opportunity to watch 'emerging talent' but surely it's putting the cart before the horse? When we have a credible league with a decent image in the country we can start showing U21, and A Championship games: right now, they're just not the priority. Let's walk before we start running.
    You're dead right. As much as I would love to see a round up of the goals & a few decent highlights (I'll admit, if any) of the First Division or even a club profile section, its not going to happen.

It's hugely important that we keep seeing as much as possible of the likes of Fahey, McCourt, etc. as people enjoy watching them. The league is getting the best coverage now than its ever gotten before so be grateful for what you're getting.

No, no, no, no, noooooo!! We can never, ever go back to the days of handheld, amateur footage. It looks absolutely horrendous, it's a total no-go area. Unless we want to take a step back, that kind of footage can never be seen on MNS. Ever.
    I know Kildare County have the handheld footage of their games on Youtube also (now no offence to lads that do it & fair play to them for doing it) but you couldn't show it on Prime time national television when you trying to promote the league & hopefully provoke some of these armchair/sky-loving/preimer league team supporters into actually gettng up off their ar ses and actually going to a live game on their doorstep.
    "We didn't underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought."

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    No, no, no, no, noooooo!! We can never, ever go back to the days of handheld, amateur footage. It looks absolutely horrendous, it's a total no-go area.
    First thing I thought too.

I'd like to see more coverage of the First Division too - it's one of the problems the league has that if you're relegated, you're pretty much left to rot. But even showing all the First Division goals would require an extra five cameras and camera teams, which is an extra cost for what's still a minority programme. And I definitely don't want to go back to YouTube standard, insufficient resolution again, with respect to those who provide that service for the relevant clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I'd like to see more coverage of the First Division too - it's one of the problems the league has that if you're relegated, you're pretty much left to rot. But even showing all the First Division goals would require an extra five cameras and camera teams, which is an extra cost for what's still a minority programme. And I definitely don't want to go back to YouTube standard, insufficient resolution again, with respect to those who provide that service for the relevant clubs.
    Why not just do the pick of the games in the first division then each week? Like the Dundalk-Shels game tonight for example, with a crowd of 2500 - how is that not an advertisement for the leage?
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Yes with a crowd of 2500. Not a chance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    What first division clubs have footage of their games?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Shels do and i know Athlone do too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    All home games for the Youths are recorded and replayed in the clubhouse at HT & FT. Don't know where I can get my hands on a copy. Dundalk & Shels produce copies of their games and sell them as a way of raising a few bob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Quote:Oldyouth
    One a week would cover all clubs

Cant see it happening in one week to be honest. What would it be like? Just a blurr trying to fit in everyone. One a week would be the way to go.
    Is that not what I said??
    Last edited by oldyouth; 09/05/2008 at 7:51 AM. Reason: incorrect

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicme View Post

Maybe they could do a club feature every now and again and include 1st division in that.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldyouth View Post

I don't see why a feature couldn't be included to do a profile of every LOI team (facilities, stadium, matchday build up, key personnel, potential, fans etc)

That is a good idea as well and should be suggested. A feature on all clubs
    Eh hello.........Give me all the credit here A Face for goodness sake, the way things are going for Mons at the mo I need all the kudos I can get!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    no one's really askin them to show 5 mins of kildare vs monaghan. but earlier in the season and last night they had a great opperyunity with shels vs dundalk. good crowds(more than some premier games) and a bit of excitement in the games. there's no point just showing the table at the end of mns cos it doesn't show the state of the game in the first division and that there really is a battle for the title

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast