Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So if Reading go down...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

So if Reading go down...

Where would Irish fans ideally like to see the 3 amigos go?
    Long would prob stay, Doyle may too. There was talk of Doyle and Chelsea not so long ago
    Hunt....SundIREland maybe? Everton Possibly? Celtic perhaps?
    If Doyle was to go he would most prob end up with one of the teams coming up or maybe one of teams who just stay up, Fulham would be the likely candidate.
    Which of the 3 is most important to Ireland in the larger scale of things?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Hunt has done ok his season. Doyle has stagnated this season and Long hasn't progressed at all. Keane might be interested in Hunt but apart from that I can see them all staying even if relegated.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    would think Hunt's most likely destinations would be Everton or Sunderland. He would prob choose Sunderland, but for everyones sake Everton would be a far better option....wouldnt they?
    He seems like a Davey Moyes kinda player alright.
    Could defo see Doyle at Celtic, replacement for Hesselink/Samaras. Better than both if he gets his head right. But Celtic would be a bad move for him in that ya he will prob score 20+ and ya the Celtic fans would love him....but....Celtic...and Scottish Football....is utter ****e, Sorry, but it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Sunderland tried to buy Hunt in the January transfer window, so if Reading went down, I would expect them to come in for him again
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    As crap as the SPL is, scoring loads of goals for Celtic seems to do wonders for players at international level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    didnt do too much for Chris Sutton or Alan Thompson.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In an Ideal word I'd like to see them at Dalymount failing that I think Doyle might end up at Villa(depending on if they get Crouch) the other 2 will most likely join Keane at SundIreland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Henrik Larsson scored bagfuls of goals for Celtic & that never stopped him from being one of the most highly regarded strikers in Europe at international level so I don't really see how Doyle going to Celtic would in anyway halt his progress, could actually work wonders for him to be playing football and scoring goals in a winning team rather than playing on the right wing of a struggling mediocre side, Long would benefit from the same sort of move too...Hunt on the other hand can rot at Reading for all I care
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by an_ceannaire View Post
    would think Hunt's most likely destinations would be Everton or Sunderland. He would prob choose Sunderland, but for everyones sake Everton would be a far better option....wouldnt they?
    He seems like a Davey Moyes kinda player alright.
    Could defo see Doyle at Celtic, replacement for Hesselink/Samaras. Better than both if he gets his head right. But Celtic would be a bad move for him in that ya he will prob score 20+ and ya the Celtic fans would love him....but....Celtic...and Scottish Football....is utter ****e, Sorry, but it is.
    Scottish football is so ****e both Celtic and Rangers have reached UEFA Cup finals in recent years and more often than not both of them play regular Champions League football.

How would that be any worse for those lads than fighting relegation or mid table medocrity with the likes of Sunderland, West Ham or Wigan?

I realise it's fashionable on here to knock Scottish football but that argument is getting a little boring.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Jesus don't hold back there Wangball, what has Hunt done on you?? If i had a pick of the 3 Hunt would be my first everytime. Managed correctly in a half decent side he could be really effective i think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    celtics centre backs are gary caldwell and stephen mcmanus, rangers have davie weir and christian dailly.....
    those lads would not get into championship teams anumore not to mind mid table premiership sides!!!
    Lee Naylor!! Phillipe Sebo!! These are awful awful footballers!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    celtics centre backs are gary caldwell and stephen mcmanus, rangers have davie weir and christian dailly.....
    those lads would not get into championship teams anumore not to mind mid table premiership sides!!!
    Lee Naylor!! Phillipe Sebo!! These are awful awful footballers!
    If they are so bad what were Celtic doing in the last 16 of the CL and what are Rangers doing in the UEFA Cup final having knocked out Fiorentina, Sporting Lisbon, Werder Bremen, Panathinkaikos, etc? Something Tottenham and Everton were incapable of doing.

Obviously they are not as terrible as you think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    rangers have davie weir and christian dailly.....
    It's actually Weir and Cuellar which is top half premiership standard central defence. Celtic's defence is brutal though. Sebo doesn't play in Scotland because he failed there. Sutton and Thompson were never given a chance for England btw, I don't know why you mention them.

My point was that a striker will gain a lot more from playing for Celtic than he would a team that creates few chances. His intelligence in an attacking sense will improve a lot quicker if he's getting a lot of the ball. His confidence will be high if he's scoring lots of goals. His finishing will improve if he's getting 3 times more chances in a game to use it.

I definitely believe it'd be better for Doyle and Ireland if he was scoring 25 league goals for Celtic than 12 Premiership goals.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 07/05/2008 at 3:58 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs up

Hopefully they get relegated, Doyle gets sold (I would settle for 5m sterling) & then Long gets promoted to Irish choice striker.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon 7 View Post
    Scottish football is so ****e both Celtic and Rangers have reached UEFA Cup finals in recent years and more often than not both of them play regular Champions League football.

How would that be any worse for those lads than fighting relegation or mid table medocrity with the likes of Sunderland, West Ham or Wigan?

I realise it's fashionable on here to knock Scottish football but that argument is getting a little boring.
    Just because Rangers and Celtic have done well in Europe doesn't prove that the Scottish league isn't a weak league, I'm not bashing Scottish football but outside the top 2 it is kinda s***e to be honest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    Just because Rangers and Celtic have done well in Europe doesn't prove that the Scottish league isn't a weak league, I'm not bashing Scottish football but outside the top 2 it is kinda s***e to be honest
    So is the Premier League outside the top teams.

Better standard than the SPL yes but it gets a bit ridiculous when you have people advocating Irish players move to very average middle of the road English clubs where the highlight of their season is avoiding relegation rather than say Celtic or Rangers (not that a move to Rangers is very likely) and the chance to play lots of European football every year.

Moving to Scotland never hurt Henrik Larsson so it doesn't have to be a bad option for all footballers.
    Last edited by Maroon 7; 07/05/2008 at 4:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I have always thought Doyle will prove to be a top class striker.Either Reading
    lack of finesse in creating chances is badly affecting him or my judgement is very poor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheifo View Post
    I have always thought Doyle will prove to be a top class striker.Either Reading
    lack of finesse in creating chances is badly affecting him or my judgement is very poor.
    Next season will be key for him no matter where he is.... he has just had a disaster of a season, hope he doesnt fade out, i dont think he will.
    "A silent mouth is sweet to hear"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon 7 View Post
    If they are so bad what were Celtic doing in the last 16 of the CL and what are Rangers doing in the UEFA Cup final having knocked out Fiorentina, Sporting Lisbon, Werder Bremen, Panathinkaikos, etc? Something Tottenham and Everton were incapable of doing.

Obviously they are not as terrible as you think.
    Nobody is questioing the quality of Celtic or Rangers, that is not the point. The point is who they play week in week out, clubs such as St Mirren, Falkirk, Gretna, ICT & Kilmarnock would struggle in League 1.

Motherwell, Dundee Utd, Aberdeen & Hibs would probably struggle in the Championship.

And the only other team with money; Hearts have struggled badly this season.

So in effect Celtic & Rangers are playing at a level that is bottom of the Championship / Upper League 1. Going to SPL is a big step down. I don't think it would affect a seasoned player but if you are a young player still learning then probably developmentally it's not the place to go.
    Last edited by Qwerty; 07/05/2008 at 10:16 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Out of the three Hunt has the better chance of finding a decent club.He has been the most consistent over the last two years.Doyle has gone down hill rapidly which is a shame, Morrison up front for Ireland imo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast