Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Unemployment

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    I don't believe construction or the housebuilding industry should be insulated against something that is an unsustainable trend (ie over-capacity in that sector). Any stimulus is only likely to be a short-term pacifier. There is no reason to reintroduce things like the first time buyers grant or other such incentives when the existing unsold housing stock is so large. Prices, eventually, will come down to meet the level at which buyers will purchase at.
    I do agree with that. Every sector of the economy has a drop from time to time. I suppose the big concern is how much the rest of the economy is affected. I think government should continue with currently planned infrastructure projects up to a point as long as it is efficiently spent. Improved roads and such as most important for outside Dublin otherwise jobs will just be concentrated in Dublin.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    RTE News

FAS down holding a jobs fair to promote jobs abroad. Times have certainly changed.

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    RTE News

FAS down holding a jobs fair to promote jobs abroad. Times have certainly changed.
    Well it was specifically construction jobs. That particular industry is knackered for the forseeable future. Although, disappointingly, construction has made up a disproportionately large part of our economy. We've been artificially building our economy by selling stuff to ourselves instead of building up our exports.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Eurozone inflation is up to 3.7%.

Only a matter of time before ECB rates increase (although the disconnect between central bank rates and true interbank rates as a result of the credit crunch may blunt the impact).

Horizon looks very, very bleak.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    As the fella says we are fooked! the boom was a fallacy anyway made up on buying and selling houses to each based on cheap credit -is that a real economy??

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    As of today i'm officially a figure on the Unemployment ladder!
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambler14 View Post
    Is it not more a snake than a ladder?
    TO TELL THE TRUTH IS REVOLUTIONARY

The ONLY foot.ie user with a type of logic named after them!

All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Haven't drawn the dole yet, don't know if I can, I haven't got my results from uni yet. Never had to do this before, been working since I was 16.
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rambler14 View Post
    What industry do you work in?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinZac View Post
    Haven't drawn the dole yet, don't know if I can, I haven't got my results from uni yet. Never had to do this before, been working since I was 16.
    If you have been working & hae earned your "stamps" you can probably "join" easily enough. Without stamps think needs to be means tested?

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    If you have been working & hae earned your "stamps" you can probably "join" easily enough. Without stamps think needs to be means tested?

I've worked for about 7 years, stopped this year for the masters. Not sure what the situation with uni is though, some people have said we're not technically free until september.
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinZac View Post
    I've worked for about 7 years, stopped this year for the masters. Not sure what the situation with uni is though, some people have said we're not technically free until september.
    I'm pretty sure that does'nt matter, are you available for full-time work?, if so then your are entitled to social welfare, it would be differant if you were in between years in college, but if you are fully finished you are elgiable!
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Register up by 19,000 today. 217k overall, 5.7%

Based on those figures, it looks as though we're heading for 300k by Christmas.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Register up by 19,000 today. 217k overall, 5.7%

Based on those figures, it looks as though we're heading for 300k by Christmas.
    is that 19k in last month or quarter?

Register always goes up a bit in the summer due to students but not by 19k.

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    19k this month. 54k in the last 12 months.

Revised total of 221k overall. Those queues are getting longer again, folks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    19k this month. 54k in the last 12 months.

Revised total of 221k overall. Those queues are getting longer again, folks.
    That's an incredible figure for one month. During the 1986 recession the max monthly figure was 16k. Also remember that there would have been workers that lost their jobs but didn't go on the live register and just upped and left the country instead, whether to go back home or seek work elsewhere.

A very worrying situation. This on top of the shortfall in the tax take its been a very bad week. Just on the tax take, the Government has said that the shortfall was €1.5b for six months therefore the expected shortfall for the year is €3b. I'd be very surprised if the shortfall would be only €3b. Its far to simplistic to say that because the shortfall was €1.5b for the first 6 months then it will be €1.5b for the next 6 months. I reckon we're heading to a 4b - 5b shortfall. It looks to me that the economy is fcuked for the foreseeable future.

But still, as FF are saying, let’s talk ourselves out of the recession. Unfortunately its going to take a bit more than that.
    Last edited by SMorgan; 05/07/2008 at 7:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SMorgan
    A very worrying situation.

But still, as FF are saying, let’s talk ourselves out of the recession. Unfortunately its going to take a bit more than that.
    The argument from the government is that it's not the 80's. Jaysus, must have got a calendar to work that out.

The point is, if we're not careful, that's what we're heading back to. The next figures are released in 4 weeks time. This is a crisis, and the government's response is to deal with and tackle it, of course.

Or rather not. An Irish problem requires an Irish solution. While the queues grow, and figures soar, TD's prepare to take a 11-week break from Thursday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    The argument from the government is that it's not the 80's. Jaysus, must have got a calendar to work that out.

The point is, if we're not careful, that's what we're heading back to. The next figures are released in 4 weeks time. This is a crisis, and the government's response is to deal with and tackle it, of course.

Or rather not. An Irish problem requires an Irish solution. While the queues grow, and figures soar, TD's prepare to take a 11-week break from Thursday.
    1) We aren't heading back to the 80's. Whilst unemployment is increasing at a worrying rate, by almost every other metric, we are considerably better off.

2) What would you suggest the Government do? Just like creating the Celtic Tiger, the recession didn't come about overnight and can't be fixed in the short-term. Any decisions the Government take now (e.g. protecting infrastructure spend, increasing tax breaks and grants for job creation) will only bear fruit in the medium term. These decisions should have been taken years ago instead of fuelling the property boom.

In any case, leaving aside the poor decision making of the last few Governments, the credit crunch, oil and food price inflation are a global phenomena outside our control.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    In any case, leaving aside the poor decision making of the last few Governments, the credit crunch, oil and food price inflation are a global phenomena outside our control.
    Of course there are outside factors, just as there are for the likes of the UK and Germany, but with the possible exception of Spain, no other EU country is experiencing the collapse that Ireland is going through. Throughout the boom years the government gave no recognition to how Ireland was benefiting from global conditions and they steadfastly insisted that the boom was entirely due to their stewardship of the economy. Now that we have a recession its all apparently due to outside factors.

They can't have it both ways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SMorgan View Post
    Of course there are outside factors, just as there are for the likes of the UK and Germany, but with the possible exception of Spain, no other EU country is experiencing the collapse that Ireland is going through. Throughout the boom years the government gave no recognition to how Ireland was benefiting from global conditions and they steadfastly insisted that the boom was entirely due to their stewardship of the economy. Now that we have a recession its all apparently due to outside factors.

They can't have it both ways.
    I agree completely.

My point was that now we are in the crap, there's no easy, or at least no quick way out of it.

But the hilarity of people like Conor Lenihan trying to put all the blame on "de credit crunch" is brilliant.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast