Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Question Albion want Paddy McCourt

From The Belfast Telegraph

Albion ready to Bag ace McCourt

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Derry City talisman Paddy McCourt may be rubbing shoulders with the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney, Steven Gerrard and Cesc Fabregas next season.

The Northern Ireland international could be on his way to English Championship leaders West Bromwich Albion and he may have played his last game for his home town club.

Although McCourt's contract isn't up until November it's believed the Baggies are going to offer City in the region of £80,000 to have him on board for the start of next season, which may see Tony Mowbray's side facing the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal.

This will be McCourt's second crack at making it big in England as the talented winger once strutted his stuff with Rochdale.

Manchester City were even on his trail, in fact it's thought City had a £1.5 million bid rejected by the then Second Division club.

In the 2003-04 campaign, McCourt managed just a handful of starts for Rochdale and had two spells away on trial with English First Division sides Norwich City and Crewe Alexandra, though neither club followed up their initial interest in him.

However Derry manager Stephen Kenny is adamant the 24-year-old, won't be going anywhere, at least until the season ends and he's hopeful the winger will sign a new deal with the Brandywell men.

"First of all West Brom or no other club has been in contact with me in regards Paddy, he's under contract until the end of the season, so he'll not be going anywhere. I know that the club are currently talking to Paddy, obviously I hope he signs a new deal but we just have to wait and see how that develops," said Kenny.

Club chairman Pat McDaid also echoed Kenny's sentiments: "We are very keen to Paddy McCourt at Derry City and contractual negotiations with him will continue. Paddy is a big part of our plans for the future. He's a very popular player within our support and we're all anxious to see him remain at Brandywell."

Whats the story here? £80,000? Are Derry that strapped for cash?
    Last edited by A face; 01/05/2008 at 9:55 PM.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    It's better than having him walk for nowt in November.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Here's the story,

"First of all West Brom or no other club has been in contact with me in regards Paddy, he's under contract until the end of the season, so he'll not be going anywhere. I know that the club are currently talking to Paddy, obviously I hope he signs a new deal but we just have to wait and see how that develops," said Kenny.

Club chairman Pat McDaid also echoed Kenny's sentiments: "We are very keen to Paddy McCourt at Derry City and contractual negotiations with him will continue. Paddy is a big part of our plans for the future. He's a very popular player within our support and we're all anxious to see him remain at Brandywell."

We're not flush but definitely not strapped for cash. Just ignore the journalistic crap at the start of the article

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Apparently a done deal going by a new thread on the citychat forum.

The last figure I heard mentioned was 80 grand when the story broke - haven't heard any different today, but as Sheridan said we aren't really in a position to do an awful lot of negotiating here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    What's the story on DC chat (never signed up)? I was talking to Paddy's brother last week who told me Wigan, West Brom and Hull were all preparing bids. His figures were much higher and that Derry will only sell at 150K.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dancinpants View Post
    Apparently a done deal going by a new thread on the citychat forum.
    Looks like it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Face, I find the last list hilarious in the context of how much Cork sold Kevin Doyle for.