Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul Scholes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Paul Scholes

amazing goal last night, fergie and everybody else is talking about scholes as if he might have one more season in him max. Time to pay homage to the man. Never one for media attention , never had a agent, top man.

But as footballer, he was, is, english best midfielder in the last twenty years IMO, Gerrard Lampard will never get near him as far as, winning titles, and playing consistently good every game. He even has a position named after himself, gerrard is currently one to be playing in the paul scholes role..

Class act, would have him up there with Charlton and Robson as Englands greatest ever midfielder(never seen Charlton play obviously that why i wouldnt say Scholes is better)
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bellavistaman View Post
    Class act, would have him up there with Charlton and Robson as Englands greatest ever midfielder(never seen Charlton play obviously that why i wouldnt say Scholes is better)
    Agree that he's the best central midfield player England has produced in the last 15-20 years but you can't put him up there with Charlton and Robson given that he never did much when playing in an England shirt. To be honest to be considered a true world great you have to do the buisness at international level, probably even then at a World Cup, and Scholesy joins the list of Man Utd players including Roy Keane, Ryan Giggs and George Best that will always be thought of more highly in the UK and Ireland than they are worldwide.

Cracking goal last night though and probably the only United player in their team at the moment that I don't completely dislike
    Last edited by jebus; 30/04/2008 at 2:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    Cracking goal last night though and probably the only United player in their team at the moment that I don't completely dislike
    hard to dislike him isnt it

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Im a big Paul Scholes fan. Model pro and a great footballer.

This si the kind of role model we should be highlighting to kids

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    yep totallt, see the technique in the strike last night, it was amazing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bellavistaman View Post
    hard to dislike him isnt it
    It is, normally combining the words ginger and manchester united in my presence would produce a similiar reaction to denying the Holocaust in a synagoge, in terms of the level of hysterical shouting

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    To be honest to be considered a true world great you have to do the buisness at international level, probably even then at a World Cup, and Scholesy joins the list of Man Utd players including Roy Keane, Ryan Giggs and George Best that will always be thought of more highly in the UK and Ireland than they are wordlwide.
    I would disagree that Scholes isn't thought of that highly on the continent. Most of my friends who come from continental Europe used to say during international tournaments that Scholes is the English player they fear the most. So from what I've heard he's pretty well regarded on the continent.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurphyc View Post
    I would disagree that Scholes isn't thought of that highly on the continent. Most of my friends who come from continental Europe used to say during international tournaments that Scholes is the English player they fear the most. So from what I've heard he's pretty well regarded on the continent.
    At the moment they'd know and respect him, in ten years time the majority will have forgotten about him is what I meant. In that respects he can't be compared to someone like Bobby Charlton

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yeah I think his problem was that in Europe he was considered more highly than he was in England, and hence reasons they played him left wing at Euro 2004 and treated him like rubbish. Great player and great pro. Best English midfielder of the last 20 years in my view.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    absolute united and football legend, he does it properly plays football nad does it well then goes home stays out of limelight and trouble
    We control by attitudes positive mental attitudes not by rules.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Paul Scholes is an absolute genius and a true Man Utd legend.

He is a proper player who just gets the job done. No fooking about, pass and touch, no stepovers, just a drop of the shoulder and he's gone.
    He can't tackle but by fook can he pass a ball.

A true footballing brain.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts
    You said it there r14, It is his footballing brain that not may players in this age have, most run with the ball and see what comes of it, where as Scholes knows exactly what he will do the ball, whether he has the ball or not. The vision of the lad is just unbelievable, he sees things that not many see, For me, he is a better footballer than Zidane, Zidane just did tricks everytime he had the ball and everyone called him great for that, where as Scholes, made goals, scored goals, was heavily involved in goals.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    What Scholes does is simple.
    He knows that before he gets the ball he's going to take 5 touchs, beat 2 players then with his 5th touch pass it wide to Giggs.
    SIMPLE
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Better than Zidane?! Don't get me wrong, Scholes has been a wonderful player and a model professional, a fantastic advert for the game, but seriously? Goals in 2 World Cup finals, the best goal ever in a Champions League final, and years of being completely untouchable every time he played?

Steady on!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanekerins View Post
    Better than Zidane?! Don't get me wrong, Scholes has been a wonderful player and a model professional, a fantastic advert for the game, but seriously? Goals in 2 World Cup finals, the best goal ever in a Champions League final, and years of being completely untouchable every time he played?

Steady on!
    IMO Scholes is better than Zidane.

You can't say Zidane is better because he scored the best goal in the Champions League Final. Djimi Traore could have scored the best goal in the Champions League Final but that wouldn't have made him a great player.
    Scholes' goal last night was better than Zidane's.

Scholes never got a chance to play in a World Cup final which is one of the greatest shames of all time. He's finally getting his wish to play a Champions League Final and i'm sure he'll take full advantage.

As for being untouchable, Scholes is. Simply because he's an Unsung Hero where as Zidane always had that yearning to be a flash player, he got noticed more than Scholesy who was doing it simple.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Its all subjective, but I suspect you would be in the minority with that opinion. But then again you should have heard the outcry I got when I said Hunt was better than Duff!

Cracking goal though, and I am chuffed for him to get to play in a Champions League final. Hope he scores the winner against the Russians.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I dont support or particularly like Man U but Scholes has been a wonderful player and a has a much more likeable character than the repugnant "modern" footballer eg
    Dunphys mate Ronaldo,Drogba,Eboue,the vile Ashley C etc etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambler14 View Post
    IMO Scholes is better than Zidane.

You can't say Zidane is better because he scored the best goal in the Champions League Final. Djimi Traore could have scored the best goal in the Champions League Final but that wouldn't have made him a great player.
    Scholes' goal last night was better than Zidane's.

Scholes never got a chance to play in a World Cup final which is one of the greatest shames of all time.
    In all honesty if you weren't a Utd fan you'd realise how foolish you sound with that. That said I'm sure most United fans will look at that in the same way I do.

If Scholes were as good as Zidane he could have dragged England past their usual mediocrity like Zizou did for France in 2006, but instead Scholes went missing in the majority of games he played for England, you could say it was because he was played out of position a lot, or you could say he just couldn't cut it at international level. Throw in Man Utd's mediocre showings in the majority of their champions league campaigns, and Scholes dip in form for a few years between 2002-2005/6 and you can see that he is nowhere near Zidane's level.

And to say that Zidane was a flash player looking for the headlines (ala Fake Ronaldo) makes me wonder if you ever watched the man play to be honest. In the last few years I've wondered if my level of hate for United should subside with the emergence of Chelsea, and the crowing from Liverpool fans since 2005, but then the stereotypical United fan with their blinkered look on the world of football rears his head and I realise why I dislike that club so much all over again.

Almost as ridiculous a statement as Rooney is the best player of our generation, or Stephen Hunt is better than Damien Duff
    Last edited by jebus; 01/05/2008 at 1:30 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Saying Scholes is better than Zidane is the most hilarious thing I've heard this week, don't get me wrong, Scholes is a fine player, probably the best English midfielder of the last decade but to dismiss Zidane as just a flash player is beyond idiotic.

IMO that is a lot more ridiculous than the statement "Hunt is better than Damien Duff"
    Duff has a lot more natural talent than Hunt but on current form you could reasonably argue that Hunt is more effective than Duff at the moment.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm a Utd fan And I can readily admit that Zidane is another level up from Paul Scholes.
    Don't get me wrong Scholes was World Class at what he did, but Zizou is arguably the greatest player of all-time. I have immersed myself in football for the last 20 years and have been lucky enough to see Zidane...and Scholes live on countless occasions. I was there when Zidane scored THAT goal in the Champions league final and when he put England to the Sword with 2 late goals in Euro '04. He's the greatest player I've ever seen and to say he was all about tricks is frankly insulting to the man and the memories he left to the world of football.

My favourite moment of the last World Cup, and indeed in football the last few years, was at half-time in the France - Brazil game. Zidane had run the show and as he headed for the tunnel his Madrid team mate Robinho approached with a huge smile and gave him a hug. He wanted to show his appeciation of the great man even though he was destroying his country! Says it all really...Zidane was idolised by fans and fellow professionals alike.

Zidane > Scholes (and everyone else for that matter)
    Last edited by Armando; 01/05/2008 at 1:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast