Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Mick Wallace

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Mick Wallace

Hello Wexford army!! Im a Longford Town fan & really enjoyed my trip down your way last week. To get to the point im starting to get fascinated by this Mick Wallace character. I believe he is a construction man & owns restaurants etc. Im right in assuming he owns ALL the Wexford Youths set up? Anyway can you tell me more about the guy? Anecdotes etc? I dont mean anything derogatory im just curious as this guy seems to have a massive appetite for life & im highly respectful of that. Is Wexford Youths a seriously viable proposition over time with him? ( I hope so). Whats the big plan & can it be done? Is he married or is he a lone star in the wilderness? Is he seen as a stable character or is he just indulging himself? Anyway all views welcome & as I said i just want to know more about this guy & wish him well. He looks class on the sideline with the hair flowing in the wind shouting encouragement. Even though you scored against us i couldnt help but smile when he was celebrating the goal with his players!
    One other thing, on the half time highlights package in your exquisite clubhouse where was our goal? It was all just yours!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I'm nearly sure he said himself that he had brought the Club as far as he could
    and would prefer to hand over control of the senior team to someone else next
    season. Think he wants to go back to looking after the underage squads.

(Might not be 100% accurate though)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Mick Wallace is a local legend in these parts. He took over the management of the Wexford U-18 county team about 15(?) years ago when nobody else wanted to do it. That's how the LoI team are known as the Youths. He lives for football. The stories are that he has a season ticket for Juve (or Torino, or another Italian club!), goes to Mexico and South America to watch games. I'm not sure how much of that is actually true, but they do sound about right.
    He has looked after his teams very well over the years. Any of the lads who has played for him will tell you stories of Wallace putting them up in some of his houses in Dublin the night before games and bringing them for meals in Italian restaraunts. Remember that this was in the days when you travelled to games the day of a match, no matter how far away the location. He has always brought his teams away for weekends. The stories of the lads going to Millwall years ago in the back of Hiace vans has to be heard! He now brings the County U-16 team to Italy every Easter, leaving the Senior team with Dolan and O'Connor.
    He knows himself that he'll have to let go in order for the Seniors to progress. He always said, even at the very start, that he'd get the Senior team started but his first love would always be looking after the underage setup. In fact, the reason he started the LoI setup was to give the underage players something to aspire to and something to move on to when they went overage, instead of being lost to junior football.

He is one of life's Good Guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    The man is a legend. Some eccentric activity at times though. The entire project is financed by Mick and, as a successful businessman, he knows it is unlikely he will see a return on his investment. He strongly believes in having passion in life and his is footie

Keep on rockin' in the free world

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldyouth View Post
    He strongly believes in having passion in life and his is footie
    And maybe all things Italian aswell. Just noticed at the weekend we have the Italian version of Sky Sports out in the clubhouse!

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    On Prime Time talking politics now. Looks like he's tidied himself up a bit. Living legend.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Hi Salmon Coloured if you want an insight in to Mick the official website has a full list of the articles he writes for local press every press Just find Mick's View on the website
    And Miles To Go Before We Sleep