Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Devine

At fault for the goal?
    YES.

(I didn't say it at the time but I thought he was a bit slow for Waterford's first last week too)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Agree on both counts.

He was slow last week ( but made a superb save in the first half ) and was totally at fault for tonights first goal - he should have held a reasonaly soft shot.
    Irish by birth,
    Cork by the grace of God.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Emmm... it wasn't a reasonable soft shot.. it was a decent shot from close range that he got down well for.. (I was behind the goal so I know).. admittedly he probably could and should have held it... but where was the defence for the first shot? And the rebound off of him!! People are waaay too quick to blame the keeper in that situation!! It's the defences fault for yer man getting into that position, devine fails to hold the resulting shot.. shels score. Who gets blame? Devine of course!! Everyone forgets about the defence! I am getting sick of keeper bashing (maybe it's coz I let in 6 goals myself last night)... but lay off devine and look at the big picture of the goal
    Jack

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Foot.ie! Whos fault??

I hate blaming anyone for goals but i will comment on this because i think its very unfair to blame Micky Devine.The defense were all over the place and you can blame the whole lot of them for losing there shape....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Guys, I entirely agree with you on this - the original screw up was the defence and the marking on the left that let the shot come in ......pure crap.

.....but do you know something the 'keeper gets 4-5 shots a game at this level - if he saves them he's a "super kepper" ( I was in the Shed and saw Williams save from Flynny in the first half - superb ) if he misses one or two and they score ( and he should have held them ) ............then he has to take the critisisim and flack also.......he should have held the bloody thing!

Poor goalkeeping!
    Irish by birth,
    Cork by the grace of God.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree that devine probably should have held the shot... but I want to see the defence take the flack as well as the goalkeeper. The goalkeeper is always highlighted way more than the defence in these situations and I want to see this stop
    Jack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Devine and Bennett made mistakes, grand, but let's face the fact that right throught he field shels were better than us. I'm sick of looking for scapegoats and blaming refs and linesmen. we're just not there yet...no more delusions of grandeur.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    im not being critical of billy woods by saying this but i felt last nite he showed that he isnt a natural full back ger mcarthy got lots of possession last nite as billys marking more so in the first half wasnt what u get from a natural full back but then he is being played out of position .Couldnt fault devine for anything last nite

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Can't balme Devine. I thought Dan was off his game last night, one of his least impressive performances in a City shirt. The centre of defence was all the shakier because of it.

When you think of our well known midfield problems and the admitted fact that we are 3 players short, it still took 2 mistakes, 1 excusable, 1 terrible, and a performance of a lifetime from Steve Williams to put us out of the cup.
    Get the players NOW, Pat. Use the rest of the season to blend them in, ensure a Euro spot and we can seriously challenge next season.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If a keeper isn't going to hold a shot (and it was not a great shot) he should alwys get enough on it to get it away from goal, not fumble it into the six yard box.

There has been alot of favourble comment about Woods at LB aswell, but on reflection, is he really that good defensively? I don't believe that he has the positional sense of Hoggie for example. BTW, Hoggie did well on Ollie last night didn't he.

Anyway, Maybe City lost because Dolan sent them out one man short. You'll never beat Shels with ten men and a lost soul out of his depth.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by SSS
    Anyway, Maybe City lost because Dolan sent them out one man short. You'll never beat Shels with ten men and a lost soul out of his depth.
    Well I have to say I agree with that.
    I kept saying to my lads during the first half last night that we were playing with only ten men. Kevin Murray needs games against Longford, Drogs, not a major cup game against $hels.
    He is just not ready yet. If he must play under-21 lads, Micheal Buckley would at least be more physical and combatative.
    As for the first goal, it was a poor goal and a mistake by Devine, but an excusable one, since McCarthy should never have been allowed get the ball into that position.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    cant see how u can say devine made a mistake,it was a very good shot ,at him with plenty of pace and kept very low i think he was lucky to get a hand to it after that it can be a lottery where it goes if people have a problem with the first goal it should be with the marking of mccarthy for all the space he got and allowing byrne tap home from the rebound

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Again,
    I have to say it was NOT Devines fault! And the shot carried plenty of power and Devine did very well to get anything on it. Yes I know he fumbled it, but he knew that he had to try to hold onto it or shels would score the rebound. He could not have gotten it away from danger when it's hit across him like that (any parry goes across the goal line!!). His only option was to hold onto it! We know that he was capable of holding onto it coz he's a great keeper, but it was just one of those things. The main fault lies with the defence.
    Jack

Neil
    Originally posted by patsh
    If he must play under-21 lads, Micheal Buckley would at least be more physical and combatative.
    A bit too combatative! He got a 4-match suspension recently for being sent-off in an u-21 game.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Devine

I do not blame Devine for the goals. The first one was far away from me and I couldn't see it very well but from what I'm reading it was a bit of dodgy defending. Devine has been Super all season and this 'mistake' [i don't think it was a mistake by Devine] is most definately excusable.The second goal was a pass~back by Benno left short and Mick couldn't get there in time.
    However bad we are feeling about this I can guarntee you Michael Devine feels ten times worse.