Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor Standard of Ref's in the Eircom League.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Poor Standard of Ref's in the Eircom League.

Feel i have to rant about it.Im sure ye all agree with me too.Its the basic and obvious decisions that are the most annoying thing about it.Players and managers work hard on the training ground all week and can go out and play well but still come out on the wrong end of a game because of a ref.Too often this season refs decisions have been the "wild cards" that have won and lost games for teams.I know its part of football but in this league a decision by a ref seems to tip the balance more often.I think the answer is professional referees have to be brought in.As the league gets more professional the refs have to aswell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eamo1 View Post
    Feel i have to rant about it.Im sure ye all agree with me too.Its the basic and obvious decisions that are the most annoying thing about it.Players and managers work hard on the training ground all week and can go out and play well but still come out on the wrong end of a game because of a ref.Too often this season refs decisions have been the "wild cards" that have won and lost games for teams.I know its part of football but in this league a decision by a ref seems to tip the balance more often.I think the answer is professional referees have to be brought in.As the league gets more professional the refs have to aswell.
    Getting professional refs guarantees nothing. Look at the Premiership. This season has been the worst for some time as regards refereeing standards, bad judgment calls and inconsistency.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    There is also add cost in having full time refs. It takes a long time to develop and train to become a good ref and even then some will get it wrong. Agree full time refs would (can only) improve the situation but it wont happen over night.

It is seriously brutal so far this year. At least MNS is highlighting that this is actually the case. If refs can recognise that it needs improvement and efforts are made to do so then its a step in the right direction.

I dunno, its a tough one but something has to be done.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    "M is for the mistakes we sometimes make. ...Surely a bit of controversy is part of the games appeal."

" I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I understand refs will make mistakes, but it's not unusual for refs in the league to get the rules wrong, eg Hancock let 2 UCD players rejoin the game against Rovers last weekend without waving them on (if he did subtlrly wave them on and I missed it he let one on from behind the goal line and one on so he could dive straight into a tackle!)

Buttimer doesn't even know how many subs a team is allowed to name ffs!

And Alan Kelly doesn't know that a goal stands even if it hits a post at the back of the net and comes back out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Eddie Foley could be a great linesman....if it wasnt for that damned offside rule

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    With every game in the premier now being recorded for MNS the referees should have the decency to admit mistakes. Wes Charles should never have got a straight red last week and Anto Murphy should receive a warning for unsporting behaviour at the very least
    Galway United - Connacht Champions 2008

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I'm not a ref but I've always felt that blaming the officials is a total cop out.

Yes there have been times over the years where I felt we had been done huge injustices (play off in Drogheda (Feb'03) anyone?), but overall, you do ttyour work on the pitch, you hope for your share of fair play and good luck and you accept the outcomes as being overall a fair reflection of what you put in.

The heavy reliance of the governing body on Dublin based officials always has our paranoia atennae raised, so if there is genuine bias - let's produce a few refs of our own.
    Less Whining
    Less Moaning

What are YOU doing to make it better?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MyTown View Post
    I'm not a ref but I've always felt that blaming the officials is a total cop out.

Yes there have been times over the years where I felt we had been done huge injustices (play off in Drogheda (Feb'03) anyone?), but overall, you do ttyour work on the pitch, you hope for your share of fair play and good luck and you accept the outcomes as being overall a fair reflection of what you put in.

The heavy reliance of the governing body on Dublin based officials always has our paranoia atennae raised, so if there is genuine bias - let's produce a few refs of our own.
    I'm sorry, but its not a one or two mistakes thing, this is big decisions EVERY game which change games. Its never solely the refs fault but they certainly have more of an impact than they should.

My example above. It is clear to all that Eddie Foley actually doesnt understand the offside rule, e.g. he gave offside from a throw in recently.

I dont go in for this Dublin bias thing I just think they're ****e.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    They are amateur/volunteer referees & they make mistakes. I am sure they don't do it deliberately. For my money it is the linesmen that are the problem - a lot of them let the referee make decisions when the ball is out of play...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    I dont go in for this Dublin bias thing I just think they're ****e.
    I am going to print this off and frame it. Finally, a Cork fan who realises there is no such thing as a Dublin bias.

Referees are always going to make mistakes. It's pretty hard to get everything 100 per cent right but what annoys me is the whole jersey farce that Buttimer keeps stirring up. It lowers the credibility of the league and it's just fussiness taken to the extreme.

Apart from that, I don't tend to remember which referees make which poor decisions considering there are so many.

Also, AFAIK, the top leagues do not have full time refs. IIRC, Pierluigi Collina and Graham Poll were two of a very few group that were full-time refs.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    They are amateur/volunteer referees & they make mistakes. I am sure they don't do it deliberately. For my money it is the linesmen that are the problem - a lot of them let the referee make decisions when the ball is out of play...
    Amateurs/volunteers don't get paid about 400-500 quid a game Pete. But I'd agree the linesmen are worse.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    I understand refs will make mistakes, but it's not unusual for refs in the league to get the rules wrong, eg Hancock let 2 UCD players rejoin the game against Rovers last weekend without waving them on (if he did subtlrly wave them on and I missed it he let one on from behind the goal line and one on so he could dive straight into a tackle!)

Buttimer doesn't even know how many subs a team is allowed to name ffs!
    Indeed. The linesman at one of our home games (I think Sligo but I'm not certain) repeatedly gave throw ins when the ball was on the line and one of our players was given offside from a throw in pre-season.

Making mistakes over whether a tackle was a foul or close offsides is annoying but understandable (we've all given out about tackles at games and then changed our minds after seeing them on TV) but there's no excuse for well-paid refs not knowing simple rules.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    Also, AFAIK, the top leagues do not have full time refs. IIRC, Pierluigi Collina and Graham Poll were two of a very few group that were full-time refs.
    It's only the Premier League in England that have full-time contracted officials - Howard Webb (who is the best referee in England at the moment) will be the only Full-Time official at the European Championships this summer.

The only real advantage of having full timers is that they're fitter physical wise - stamina and such improved. The training sessions and feedback meetings that they have on the Select Group in England do happen here as well.

As Dave McKeon said on MNS - the top 8 or 9 officials on the list basically fit in the demands made of officials if they were full time anyway (training several times a week - if not every day, video reviews of games etc)

We have 50 or so officials on the Panel in the eL - if we apply the English model to this then it'll cost the FAI the grand total of €5,150,000 per year to pay them on the standard contract used in this field.
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Amateurs/volunteers don't get paid about 400-500 quid a game Pete. But I'd agree the linesmen are worse.
    Fair enough but it is not like we can fire the existing refs & promote all those brilliant refs who are being held back. I have no reason to believe the current refs are not the best in Ireland.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    alot of the problem is the fact dont explain decisions after games mns is a forum why not let ref come on and explain why he balls it up or why he believes he is right, only a thought
    We control by attitudes positive mental attitudes not by rules.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    My pet hate is the linesmen who wait for the referee to award a corner, goal kick and whatever which way the throw ins go, only then move their flag in the direction that the ref gives. Cowards!

Tonight and over the weekend take notice of who the culprits are - these linos with no balls of their own should be named and shamed.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    Collina was an accountant. His current position may be full time, but he was a part time ref.

Refereeing is bloody tough. The number of calls I get wrong from the stands is enormous. The ref might be a bit closer, but he still only has one pair of eyes and a very human brain. I'm forever ****ed off at people who watch six replays of a close call on TV before making a biased judgement that fits their first impression and criticising the referee for not making the same call.

However, a number of good points have been raised above regarding refs making errors regarding the rules. This is something that should and can be rectified.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    we need a completely independent body to monitor their performances using the footage which rte now have, with a situation where the refs can be suspended for poor performances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BobtheDrog View Post
    we need a completely independent body to monitor their performances using the footage which rte now have, with a situation where the refs can be suspended for poor performances.
    ye i agree with that big time

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast