Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poor Standard of Ref's in the Eircom League.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Is there some rule that says Alan Kelly has to referee all live games?
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    One thing that could improve the standard of refs in Ireland is to have more of them. You would think invariably the best ones would always progress to the top and the standard could only get better then. There is still a shortage of refs as well.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was at the Rovers - Pats game tonight and as previously stated, Alan Kelly was a joke.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambler14 View Post
    We had him on the opening day vs Harps and he was terrible. He refereed our next game vs Galway and he was worse (he awarded offside from a throw) and we had him again vs St. Pats and he was again poor.
    He is without a doubt the worst referee in the league.
    Do you even know your refs?

Derek Tomney was not in charge of the Pats V Cobh game
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skitz3 View Post
    I was at the Rovers - Pats game tonight and as previously stated, Alan Kelly was a joke.
    Shocking. Got the main decision right though. COuld've sent off a couple IMo
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerc View Post
    Do you even know your refs?

Derek Tomney was not in charge of the Pats V Cobh game
    still not sure how he could get Tomney and the actual referee who did the game confused - there's quite a difference in appearance between the two
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    As already noted Alan Kelly was again a disgrace, and trying to be the centre of attention last night. What I didn't understand was that as soon as he blew the final whistle, one of the linos sprinted, and I mean sprinted down the tunnel, not waiting to shake hands with the players or go meet up with Kelly and the other lino? No idea what that was about, Kelly was poor but he hardly expected the refereeing team to be lynched??

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Réiteoir View Post
    still not sure how he could get Tomney and the actual referee who did the game confused - there's quite a difference in appearance between the two
    Crap that game was reffed by Declan Hanney, I was getting my refs mixed up
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    As already noted Alan Kelly was again a disgrace, and trying to be the centre of attention last night. What I didn't understand was that as soon as he blew the final whistle, one of the linos sprinted, and I mean sprinted down the tunnel, not waiting to shake hands with the players or go meet up with Kelly and the other lino? No idea what that was about, Kelly was poor but he hardly expected the refereeing team to be lynched??
    Let me start by saying that I ****ing HATE Alan Kelly. One thing he got right last night was the sending off. Initially I had thought that the first yellow card was a bit harsh and everybody agreed that the second tackle on Guy deserved a yellow. But when you look at the first infringment, you can clearly see that he went over the ball and into Fahy's ankle. Definite yellow IMO.

He did however make a mistake when Purcell was adjudged to have fouled Paisley. I cannot for the life of me see how he could have made this out. Paisley clearly got his angles wrong and realising this, he backed into Purcell before falling over. Purcell got his head to the ball and set up Amond(?) who had a clear shot on goal. These types of decisions infuriate me. Classic case of a referee bottling situation, easiest thing in the world to do is blow the whistle and give a free kick out. Pure böllóx.
    I got no lips I got no bones where there
    were eyes there's only space

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesThompson View Post
    Let me start by saying that I ****ing HATE Alan Kelly.
    Who doesn't? Easily the most hated ref in Ireland. The most over-hyped referee definetley.
    Being living off Daddy's hand outs from Day 1.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    as soon as he blew the final whistle, one of the linos sprinted, and I mean sprinted down the tunnel, not waiting to shake hands with the players or go meet up with Kelly and the other lino? No idea what that was about, Kelly was poor but he hardly expected the refereeing team to be lynched??
    Maybe he really needed a ****.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambler14 View Post
    Crap that game was reffed by Declan Hanney, I was getting my refs mixed up

Declan must be good then - seeing as he can referee two games at the same time at grounds 3 miles apart.

Maybe he hires a Zepplin to hover above Dublin to accomplish this task...

Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eamo1 View Post
    Tourmey . . . was brutal in terryland tonight . . . If a ref in a premiership game makes a mistake he gets demoted for a few weeks to reffing league 1 games.maybe a stint in the leinster senior league for Kelly,Tourmey etc would cure them
    Very observant - albeit a few months premature - to point out that the next step down from Terryland is the LSL.
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesThompson View Post
    Let me start by saying that I ****ing HATE Alan Kelly. One thing he got right last night was the sending off. Initially I had thought that the first yellow card was a bit harsh and everybody agreed that the second tackle on Guy deserved a yellow. But when you look at the first infringment, you can clearly see that he went over the ball and into Fahy's ankle. Definite yellow IMO.

He did however make a mistake when Purcell was adjudged to have fouled Paisley. I cannot for the life of me see how he could have made this out. Paisley clearly got his angles wrong and realising this, he backed into Purcell before falling over. Purcell got his head to the ball and set up Amond(?) who had a clear shot on goal. These types of decisions infuriate me. Classic case of a referee bottling situation, easiest thing in the world to do is blow the whistle and give a free kick out. Pure böllóx.
    I can't comment on the first yellow, I can't remember which one was O'Connor's foul as there were so many cards, but I've no complaints over his second. Its just the way Kelly lets the game turn in to such a scrappy affair by constantly pulling the game up for fouls like the one you noted. He must have booked 3 or 4 players by half time despite there not being a bad tackle involved. Way too quick to get the cards out, something I think is worse when the cameras are on him and he wants to make a point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Anyone know what match Alan Kelly is refereeing next weekend?

Also, anyone know if there is anywhere on the web with a complete result list from the LOI showing results and the referee?
    The deepest layer of human thinking and feeling somehow knows that God must exist - Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Have any of you ever reffed a game?

Done a refereeing course?

Been assessed as a ref or even know what it entails?

Remember the Ref is the same for both teams...

However one huge improvement could be if the ref was wired for sound like in Rugby and explained all descisions.
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    What I didn't understand was that as soon as he blew the final whistle, one of the linos sprinted, and I mean sprinted down the tunnel, not waiting to shake hands with the players or go meet up with Kelly and the other lino?
    Maybe he had to pee?

I was sitting behind that ref. The Rovers fans were giving him abuse for most of the game, although most of it was deserved. He gave one offside against Rovers at one stage when there was a St. Pat's defender in the centre of the pitch playing him onside by at least 5 metres. One of the worst decision I have ever seen!
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    richie winter is very fussy also. constantly blowing for frees when no need and giving petty yellow cards. he ruined the north west derby and wanted to be the centre of attention at all times.
    he as referee gave a goal and then went to his donegal linesman who disallowed rovers goal for kicking the ball out of the goalies hands.
    i was a qualified league of ireland official in the past and this would question the linemans decision to amend a referees decision who was 20 metres closer to the incident.
    even a number of the finn harps faithful have said that the goal should have been allowed on their forum
    watch out for it on MNS tonight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thumbs up

The last few El matches that I have attended or watched on TV Alan Kelly has been the referee and I have watched his performance's closely. I think he is a very good referee but he does show yellow's too quickly in my opinion and that is why he gets so much stick. I was at the derby last night and this is exactly what happend and the same last week at the Drogheda-Bohs match. To me it seems that he feels if he doesn't give out yellow cards he will lose control of the game which I don't think he would as teh game can be controlled without throwing around cards.

As for the AR sprinting off the pitch at full time, he did the same at half time as well and waited at the tunnel for Alan and the other AR. I found this rather strange myself!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    As for the AR sprinting off the pitch at full time, he did the same at half time as well and waited at the tunnel for Alan and the other AR. I found this rather strange myself![/QUOTE]

As far as I know, its a new uefa instruction that the lino nearest the tunnel go to the tunnel area at full time and half time in case there is any hassle. Reitoir have you heard anything about this??

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast