Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dublin-Meath scoring

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Time period suspensions are a feature of Rugby, that's 2 of the big 3 leading sports in the country but its the GAA who should catch up
    But weekly games are a feature of rugby as well. Not very often that the same length ban would mean missing two season defining games in the same competition. Meath RRS by Dublin based administrators.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post

I know if football if 3 players from the same team are sent off the game is abandoned.
    WRONG!!!!

If a team has less than 7 players then the game is abandoned, the Sheffield Utd V WBA game in 2002 (i think) was stopped by the ref as he had sent off 3 Sheffield players and then 2 went off injured after they had used all 3 subs

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Most of Pete's contact with GAA comes from - I just happen to pass by the tv screen and I accidently saw .....(fill in gap with some controversy). Or opinions on the game can be sourced to - I heard it from someone who says ,,,,.

Time period suspensions are a feature of Rugby, that's 2 of the big 3 leading sports in the country but its the GAA who should catch up
    haha brilliant, he must get himself into a lot of "accidents" though....unbreakable

Pete, though what exactly is your point in this matter?!
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 25/04/2008 at 9:38 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I don't buy this "contact sport" BS. For far, far too long random violence has been part and parcel of gaelic football, and it has nothing to do with the contact nature of the sport - punching a guy on the face is not part of the sport. The problem is it is tolerated, and the "hard man" is admired, not chastised. Sure that Dublin-Meath brawl gets the headlines because the Dubs are involved (much like the infamous "Battle of Old Trafford" where bugger all happened), but go to any club game and there's a fifty-fifty chance there will be a bout of fisticuffs, ranging from the one-on-one to the all-out brawl. I have seen it so often, and it is not part of the game, it is ruining the game.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    As someone who regularly plays gaelic football I can tell you from my experience there are far fewer "one-in-all-in" brawls in club football than there used to be. At intercounty level you can count the big brawls of the last 10 years on the one hand. This is a bit like the crime argument. I can say that on the whole Ireland is a safe country (which it is), but you could get someone who was mugged to tell me otherwise. Isolated incidents do not reflect the wider reality. When you have thousands and thousands of people playing gaelic games which are quite tribal in nature, it's inevitable that there will be flare-ups from time to time. The sky isn't falling because Dublin and Meath got stuck into each other. No one was hurt, they shook hands afterwards and life goes on. Of course its in the medias interest to make a fuss over it. Eircom League fans should take note of the Heralds ridiculous coverage of the Pats v Linfield affair. It's all about selling papers and filling air-time, NOT having a fair and balanced look at the actual events.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    The Dubs have been the butt of ridicule from culchies for the past few years.
    Throwing shapes, fake hard man bravado, goading the opposition, walking slowly up to the Hill.
    This year I was surprised to see that they are still bringing that shíte into the game when they played Monaghan.
    None of that will be of any use against an Ulster team or Kerry.
    The Dubs are the Tim Henmans of the GAA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Throwing shapes, fake hard man bravado, goading the opposition, walking slowly up to the Hill.
    This year I was surprised to see that they are still bringing that shíte into the game when they played Monaghan.
    I think that's a tad harsh on Tim Henman Geysir!!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    You mean an Ulster team like Derry?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    HAHA

I forwarded that onto a few of the lads to rile them up. Good man gersir stick up for your oriel county farney men!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123