Thread: Dublin-Meath scoring

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Sour grapes from Caffrey.

Caffrey claims Dubs 'hung out to dry'

My favourite is this:
    He added that the media reaction was "over the top" and agreed with selector David Billings' assertion that GAA president Nicky Brennan had "prejudiced" the CCCC's investgation by claiming he was "disgusted" by the 29-man brawl
    We're not talking four Linfield fans getting arrested outside the ground before a match Paul, we're talking 29 fully-grown adults, supposed role models, playing the national sport and descending to animal-like violence.

Nicky Brennan is right to say what he said. He's the president and he should condemn it.
    Last edited by superfrank; 23/04/2008 at 12:46 PM.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Pete if the bans stand it will be 3 games for meath assuming they win at least 2 matches.
    Is that just the luck of the draw that they have games within the ban period?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Is that just the luck of the draw that they have games within the ban period?
    No, as its not anyway lucky for them But yes!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post

Pillar isn't often right (as anyone who's watched his substitutions in Championship games will agree), but he's right here. The media reaction was over the top ("Blue Murder" was the headline in one paper, for example). And Dublin/Meath have been made an example of. You can of course argue that an example needed to be set, to avoid this sort of thing in the future. I don't disagree with that. But any time an example is set for this kind of reason, the person/team being made an example of is being "hung out to dry," since they are being punished for stuff others have gotten away with.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post

My favourite is this:

We're not talking four Linfield fans getting arrested outside the ground before a match Paul, we're talking 29 fully-grown adults, supposed role models, playing the national sport and descending to animal-like violence.

Nicky Brennan is right to say what he said. He's the president and he should condemn it.
    Are you for real? The hysterical nonsense from the media since Sunday is entirely predictable, but the amount of otherwise intelligent people that have been sucked in by it is quite surprising. I was at the game and had the best of craic with the mixed group of fans around me (who were all a bit bemused it must be said) the players shook hands at the end, and were chatting to each other outside the clubhouse afterwards. Animal-like violence? You must lead a very sheltered life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxy View Post
    Are you for real? The hysterical nonsense from the media since Sunday is entirely predictable, but the amount of otherwise intelligent people that have been sucked in by it is quite surprising. I was at the game and had the best of craic with the mixed group of fans around me (who were all a bit bemused it must be said) the players shook hands at the end, and were chatting to each other outside the clubhouse afterwards. Animal-like violence? You must lead a very sheltered life.
    Yeah it probably wasnt as bad as other incidents but the thing is it was Dublin was involved again following on from a fairly serious ruckus in Omagh a couple of years ago and lots of petit little things since like the hullobalo last year over their players celebrating in opposition players faces. I see the bold Pillar says that they have been hung out to dry, well maybe he should tell the players to be a bit more intelligent and not get involved in incidents like this which gain you nothing ultimately. Also they would be as well to just accept the suspensions and get on with, see clare v cork last year when a similar incident occured and the losers from the drawn out appeals were clare and cork.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Head in the sand

Heard I think it was Dublin player say that it was impossible to have a Gaelic football match without aggression as it was a contact sport. Rugby is a bigger contact sport but fights are rare & almost unheard of to have entire teams fighting. He also said most of the players were pulling others away but that doesn't explain some guys charging in with cowardly attacks from behind.

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    First off, if you want to go down the rugby comparison road I'll find you plenty of youtube videos to put that one to bed. This constant comparison with rugby is a red herring anyway. First of all, the players only come together to tackle, ruck, maul, scrum etc. Its far easier to referee than soccer and gaelic games as you usually have a single point of contact, or a line along which tackles are being made. You don't have to worry about what the full backs are at when there is a ruck in the middle of the field. They aren't standing on each others toes for the entire game. Secondly, you can quite legitimately break someone in 2 with a tackle in rugby if you feel they have it coming. Despite this, you will still see more kicks and punches thrown (and landed) in a season of top level rugby i.e. Magners League, Heineken Cup, French League, English League than you will see in 10 years of competitive intercounty football. But of course, stamping on a mans head is ok if he has the audacity to lie down in the wrong place.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Despite this, you will still see more kicks and punches thrown (and landed) in a season of top level rugby i.e. Magners League, Heineken Cup, French League, English League than you will see in 10 years of competitive intercounty football.
    In the amateur days rugby regularly had scraps but massive reduction since professionalism. Sure you get the odd slap but it lasts a few seconds. Inter-County Gaelic football is the top level of its sport so only fair to compare against the competitions you listed above. If you can find a clip of 20+ rugby players having a fight I will accept your point.

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Do you remember the countless complaints from the media and the numerous irate callers to Liveline after this incident earlier in the year? Cos I don't.

Last edited by pete; 24/04/2008 at 3:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    If Caffrey was on Cop duty and a similar bust up took place outside a pub on a friday night would he stand there and watch or make arrests? (poll please)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Can we put the "if you did that on the street..." line to bed please? There's lots of things that you can quite legitimately do on a sports field that would get you arrested on the street. For example, as someone pointed out on another forum, if you shouldered someone on the street, that would count as assault.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Do you remember the countless complaints from the media and the numerous irate callers to Liveline after this incident earlier in the year? Cos I don't.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=V49tjT1DJGU
    Just shows--no-one gives a rat's arse about rugby.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by londonred View Post
    If Caffrey was on Cop duty and a similar bust up took place outside a pub on a friday night would he stand there and watch or make arrests? (poll please)
    He is a guard, simple answer. Stand there and watch and wait till its over.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Pointless argument. If Richard Dunne was walking down the street and decided to slide tackle a traffic warden what would happen then? I'm not sure if this is just an exercise in point scoring with some people but I find it very hard to believe anyone who watches or plays sports like soccer, rugby, NFL, MMA, boxing etc. on a regular basis is actually that bothered about what happened during that Dublin-Meath game.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Most of Pete's contact with GAA comes from - I just happen to pass by the tv screen and I accidently saw .....(fill in gap with some controversy). Or opinions on the game can be sourced to - I heard it from someone who says ,,,,.

Time period suspensions are a feature of Rugby, that's 2 of the big 3 leading sports in the country but its the GAA who should catch up

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Handful of players involved. Certainly no where near 29 players.

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Pete have you actually seen it? There was maybe 2 lads that threw a single punch and the rest were either just grappling with an opposition player or trying to separate lads. They are amateurs compared to these lads.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=uhCeONxRzu8

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=6gI97x...eature=related
    Last edited by Jinxy; 24/04/2008 at 4:35 PM. Reason: How the f*ck do you embed videos?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    So in a multi-player altercation, it's the number of players involved that matters?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    It would seem some brawls are more equal than others!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast