Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gary Waddock

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

Gary Waddock

Congrants to him and the fantastic job he done at Aldershot Town, bringing them into league football for the first time in their 16 year history.

Jumped into the deep side of management when he started off but now he has accepted his mistake, got back on the horse and I could not be happier for him. Top class manager in the making and prehaps a successor for Il Trap?
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    I remember when the original Aldershot were kicked out of the league, and the fans set up Aldershot Town, setting a precedent for FC Wimbledon and FC United, and hoping to see them back in the League at some stage. Congrats to all involved.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Anyone remember the Gary Waddock flag at 2002...

Fair play to him..... Always a good Irishman

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Was he the first player to have highlights in his hair playing for Ireland? Andy Townsend owes him a lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Well Done to Gary Waddock......things didnt work out at QPR...bad time at the club aswell, but great to see him bounce back and have success at Aldershot.

QPR and Ireland Legend
    Ciao

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topman View Post
    Well Done to Gary Waddock......things didnt work out at QPR...bad time at the club aswell, but great to see him bounce back and have success at Aldershot.

QPR and Ireland Legend
    One of the stars at Aldershot is Scott Davies, an Irish underage international on loan from Reading.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Wasn't he the 23rd man who lost out when Jack reduced his squad to the obligatory 22 for the World Cup?

Bad run of injury as a player too.

So great that things have turned so well for him this season.
    Less Whining
    Less Moaning

What are YOU doing to make it better?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Do you think Stan sees this and thinks that is how he should have gone about things, work your way up. I still think with 10-15 years managerial experience he may have become a decent international manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MyTown View Post
    Wasn't he the 23rd man who lost out when Jack reduced his squad to the obligatory 22 for the World Cup?
    Worse. He was picked in the 22, but at the (very) last minute, Charlton picked the uncapped Alan McLoughlin instead.

Always felt gutted for Waddock after that, and tbh lost huge respect for Charlton
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Worse. He was picked in the 22, but at the (very) last minute, Charlton picked the uncapped Alan McLoughlin instead.

Always felt gutted for Waddock after that, and tbh lost huge respect for Charlton
    Alwyas felt gutted for Waddock myself but no room for sentiment on football. Razor wasn't fully fit and Jack reckoned McLoughlin could do a job in there if necessary. As it was McLoughlin got game time in 1990 and was involved in the tackle that led to Sheedy's goal against England. Would Waddock have played?

Horrible break for Waddock though especially after forcing his way back into contention following horrendous injuries. Jack said years later that he would have dropped Stapleton only he felt a degree of loyalty to him after all the years he'd palyed during and before his reign. Says he couldn't believe how much of a huff Stapo was in during the tournament for not getting a game, he was over the hill at that stage anyway.....

Delighted to see Gary do so well at Aldershot anyway, congrats to him and the team and fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shedender81 View Post
    Anyone remember the Gary Waddock flag at 2002...

Fair play to him..... Always a good Irishman
    No what flag was that?

Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post
    Do you think Stan sees this and thinks that is how he should have gone about things, work your way up. I still think with 10-15 years managerial experience he may have become a decent international manager.
    That is excatly what Stan should have done. He could learn a lot for him!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Alwyas felt gutted for Waddock myself but no room for sentiment on football. Razor wasn't fully fit and Jack reckoned McLoughlin could do a job in there if necessary. As it was McLoughlin got game time in 1990 and was involved in the tackle that led to Sheedy's goal against England. Would Waddock have played?

Horrible break for Waddock though especially after forcing his way back into contention following horrendous injuries. Jack said years later that he would have dropped Stapleton only he felt a degree of loyalty to him after all the years he'd palyed during and before his reign. Says he couldn't believe how much of a huff Stapo was in during the tournament for not getting a game, he was over the hill at that stage anyway.....

Delighted to see Gary do so well at Aldershot anyway, congrats to him and the team and fans.

Your wrong pal... Sheedy made the tackle on McMahon.... McLoughlin was in offside spot when the ball hit the net.... borderline......

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post
    I doubt it. Judging by his comments about his time with Ireland he's publicly blaming anyone but himself and I seriously doubt he'll be able to learn enough to ever make a decent manager. He just seems to lack far too many of the qualities that you need to become one.
    Last edited by jmurphyc; 17/04/2008 at 1:07 PM.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shedender81 View Post
    Your wrong pal... Sheedy made the tackle on McMahon.... McLoughlin was in offside spot when the ball hit the net.... borderline......
    My mistake, was Townsend putting McMahon under pressure I was thinking of.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    No news, I just happened to come across his name recently. Any experts out there who can remember his three goals. No indication on his Wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Waddock ? The FAI website is a mind of information http://www.fai.ie/ireland/player/35757 I remember him getting one at home to the Dutch in 1983/4 where we dreamed (for a few minutes) that we might get to the Euros in 1984. The other two I have no idea until someone says they were against.....oh yeah.

Delorean probably knows them off the top of his head.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    No news, I just happened to come across his name recently. Any experts out there who can remember his three goals. No indication on his Wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Waddock ? The FAI website is a mind of information http://www.fai.ie/ireland/player/35757 I remember him getting one at home to the Dutch in 1983/4 where we dreamed (for a few minutes) that we might get to the Euros in 1984. The other two I have no idea until someone says they were against.....oh yeah.

This site is handy.
    http://www.soccerscene.ie/ss_gen/pla...level=sssenior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Not for the first time, you overestimate me Owls! And you overestimate my age as well I'm happy to report.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Piece about Waddock's World Cup heartbreak in 1990 and how a friendly in Turkey was the last time he played for Ireland - http://www.the42.ie/gary-waddock-ita...19074-Mar2018/

I still have three chapters to read of Alan McLoughlin's autobiography actually, I can't even remember what he even said about being included ahead of Waddock at this stage!
    Last edited by DeLorean; 23/03/2018 at 1:40 PM. Reason: Tets fixed up thread title (thanks!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    He got a tough break with Italia ‘90 although is it fair to say Kevin Foley got a tougher break?
    Sent home from Poland in 2012at the last minute for ...can’t remember. Was it Paul McShane? Although I’d say he was glad he went home watching our performances.

That’s a great article in the 42 about Waddock

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    He got a tough break with Italia ‘90 although is it fair to say Kevin Foley got a tougher break?
    I'd forgotten that happened to Foley as well actually, good shout. Hard to know which was tougher really but a lonely place to be no doubt.

Trap would have never left Waddock out as they share the same birthday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast