Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Problems with Windows Vista.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Problems with Windows Vista.

Not sure where to put this thread but need help so put it here because its a relatively busy section.
    Im buying a new laptop and my brother says dont get one with vista on it.The problem is laptops these days seem to only come with vista(p.c world,currys).Is vista as bad as hes saying(not compatitable with old software etc) and should i keep looking(for XP etc) or is it ok to take a chance and get it??Any help appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have vista and I haven't had ANY problems with it so far...*touch wood*.
    I think its a big improvement on XP, I like the 'gadget' bar on the desktop, it's a good feature and is very handy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    It depends on what you'll be using it for. If you'll just be browsing the web and emailing, Vista will be fine. If you'll be gaming or using any special apps, you might not be. More detail will get you a definite answer.

(I'm on a Vista lappie now and it's actually quite nice, but this lappie only gets used for basic stuff.)

adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    What Dahamsta and Blue-Army said is broadly right. However, be warned. A lot of programs and stuff I had on my old ME (I know) laptop were incompatible with Vista - when caveats must emptor, emptor carefully. Mine is an early release (was just too late to get the last of the XPs, so got stuck with Vista), so there are a few occasional bugs here and there - they should be alright in anything released at this stage.

Personally, I dislike Vista immensely, though I am known for giving out a lot about windows OSes while never getting on and going Linux. Bring back 3.11, I say!
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post
    What Dahamsta and Blue-Army said is broadly right. However, be warned. A lot of programs and stuff I had on my old ME (I know)
    How in Christ's name did you stick Windows ME for that long? The shoddiest operating system ever inflicted on the public. I got it bundled with a new PC at the time and it was almost literally unusable.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    How in Christ's name did you stick Windows ME for that long? The shoddiest operating system ever inflicted on the public. I got it bundled with a new PC at the time and it was almost literally unusable.
    I can tell you this, it was a righteous pain in the midlands it was. I got one of the later versions, I think, some some of the bugs were a lot less annoying than I heard, but I reckon the mere fact it was ME saved me about £200 on the machine. Woeful system, almost matched by early release Vista
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Id be using it for.

I would mostly be using it just for emailing,browsing and the odd time managing Galway Utd on Football 08.Ive a printer though thats around 18 months old so my biggest concern is would it be compatible with that?Now that i think of it ive a webcam from around the same period too.Any idea would these be compatible or not?Thanks for all the help lads,appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Check the manufacturers website for Vista Drivers for your printer and webcam before upgrading if they are there go ahead and upgrade if not stick with XP