Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a good album...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts

Recommend me a good album...

...any genre. Leave out any of the big obvious ones like Sergeant Pepper's, Dark Side of the Moon, Blonde on Blonde and um...Big Willie Style, please.

One per person, I don't care what year, decade, century it's from, nor genre, country, gender, or critical acclaim. Just tell me what the album is and why I absolutely have to listen to it because it's such a brilliant album.

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    First one it appears...

Funkadelic by Funkadelic.

It's a brilliant album. It's a mix of psychedelic rock, blues and funk. All the songs are about 6 or 7 minutes long but they are all great. It's got plenty of guitar solos and lotsa deep bass. The vocals are gospel and the drums are funky. Think Jimi Hendrix, The Yardbirds and a bit of soul thrown in for good measure. It's, simply put, a brilliant album.

PS I saw a copy of it in Tower Records (under soul) on Wicklow Street not too long ago. Not too far from your part of town.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    The Artist In The Ambulance by Thrice.

I listen to it in the gym, angry 100 mile an hour guitar rock at its very best
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    First one it appears...

Funkadelic by Funkadelic.

It's a brilliant album. It's a mix of psychedelic rock, blues and funk. All the songs are about 6 or 7 minutes long but they are all great. It's got plenty of guitar solos and lotsa deep bass. The vocals are gospel and the drums are funky. Think Jimi Hendrix, The Yardbirds and a bit of soul thrown in for good measure. It's, simply put, a brilliant album.

PS I saw a copy of it in Tower Records (under soul) on Wicklow Street not too long ago. Not too far from your part of town.
    Thanks for the recommendation and the Tower Records tip. I pass it everyday actually. Currently on I Got a Thing... It usually takes me a few listens before an album clicks or not with me but this one's growing on me. I could see myself really liking it. Enjoyed 'I Bet You.'

It also might be my new sex music.

Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post

Thanks, I'll get back to you soon.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    To save dizzying myself in a spiral of thoughts as to what to recommend, I'll just suggest what I've listened to most these past two weeks: The LK, with Vs The Snow.

Why it is worth recommending: it's the ultimate April album (frolicking lambs, bouncing bunnies, smells of freshly mown grass wafting though your nostrils on a bright morn, is the kind of April I mean). Nuff said innit. Well, if more is needed to entice, then let me say that Tamagotchi Freestyle is easily one of the best (and intriguingly titled) tracks of the year. Go forth and illegally download from somewhere!

Edit; Noby, if your affection for We Show Up On Radar is anything to go, you should love the above.
    Last edited by kingdom hoop; 14/04/2008 at 10:31 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Anything by The Rebirth Brass Band (if you insist on one album name, then "Take it to the Streets").

Why you need to listen to it: Unless you've spent time in New Orleans, you've never heard anything like this before. Jazz, blues, funk, hip-hop, all fused together into one enthusiastically howled ''Yeah!' to life.

You may need to purchase this from amazon or some such. Don't know if they have their stuff readily available in Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post

It's alright, your man's voice annoys me a little and I found it a little derivative. That said, I've only listened to half the album and need to give it a few more spins to decide fully. Ta, though.

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom hoop View Post
    To save dizzying myself in a spiral of thoughts as to what to recommend, I'll just suggest what I've listened to most these past two weeks: The LK, with Vs The Snow.

Why it is worth recommending: it's the ultimate April album (frolicking lambs, bouncing bunnies, smells of freshly mown grass wafting though your nostrils on a bright morn, is the kind of April I mean). Nuff said innit. Well, if more is needed to entice, then let me say that Tamagotchi Freestyle is easily one of the best (and intriguingly titled) tracks of the year.
    I am intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by Marked Man View Post
    Anything by The Rebirth Brass Band (if you insist on one album name, then "Take it to the Streets").

Why you need to listen to it: Unless you've spent time in New Orleans, you've never heard anything like this before. Jazz, blues, funk, hip-hop, all fused together into one enthusiastically howled ''Yeah!' to life.
    Make that two life-affirming albums I'm intrigued about.

Go forth and illegally download from somewhere!
    Sorry but I'm not sure how strict these forums are and I'd rather this thread wasn't closed or anything so ixnay on any downloading comments guys, please.

Obviously I'm purchasing all of these albums.
    Last edited by thischarmingman; 15/04/2008 at 12:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation and the Tower Records tip. I pass it everyday actually. Currently on I Got a Thing... It usually takes me a few listens before an album clicks or not with me but this one's growing on me. I could see myself really liking it. Enjoyed 'I Bet You.'
    Glad you like it. "Music For My Mother" is the outstanding song I feel. It's got a laid back vibe perfect for days like this, even if the lyrics are really strange.
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman
    It also might be my new sex music.
    I won't ask...
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Recommendation noted, KH. Pitchfork also had positive notes about it (not that I didn't trust you, you understand).
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Anto sings the big show tunes by anto great album hasnt sold well but that doesnt mean its not epic.

The album that has stayed in my playlist for the last few years is Come on feel the illinoise by Sufjan Stevens. Not a weird obscure album. It has some lovely tracks on it. Really enjoyable listen.

If you ever saw the film Little miss sunshine a good few of the track where used on the sound track.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    would echo the Sufjan Stevens shout....great album

My personal favourite is Black Sheep Boy by Okkervil River. Bought it about 3 years ago and hasn't strayed away from my cd player since. Its one of those albums where you'll find that you've a new favourite song each time you listen to it. Also lyrically its head and shoulders above anything I've ever heard before or since. Musically its a mix of a few rock tunes, some acousticy country-twanged stuff...

check out the video for "For Real" on youtube (sorry can't post a link in work) and you'll get a feel for it....
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    Glad you like it. "Music For My Mother" is the outstanding song I feel. It's got a laid back vibe perfect for days like this, even if the lyrics are really strange.
    Ahhh, it sounds even better today. That Whole Lotta Love-esque riff on 'Mommy...' is just brilliant. Really enjoying it. I reckon it'll get played a lot over the next couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by anto1208 View Post
    The album that has stayed in my playlist for the last few years is Come on feel the illinoise by Sufjan Stevens.
    Jeez, there's some 22 tracks to get through on it! "The Black Hawk War, or, How To Demolish An Entire Civilization and Still Feel Good About Yourself in the Morning, or, We Apologize for the Inconvenience But You're Going To Have To Leave Now, or, "I have fought the Big Knives and will continue to fight them till they are off our lands!"" may well be the longest song title I've ever come across! Will give it a wee whirl tonight. I loved Little Miss Sunshine but saw it ages ago and can't remember much of the music from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ogba View Post
    My personal favourite is Black Sheep Boy by Okkervil River. Bought it about 3 years ago and hasn't strayed away from my cd player since.
    I'm going to listen to Sufjan Stevens, then relisten to Thrice while working tonight and then I'll try out Black Sheep Boy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    My Morning Jacket - At Dawn is absolutely, 100%, wall to wall genius......GO NOW!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Illinoise.
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noby View Post
    Recommendation noted, KH. Pitchfork also had positive notes about it (not that I didn't trust you, you understand).
    I understand entirely.

Just read the review there, and it's spot on. If you're at all curious I'd strongly suggest moving this to third base and the associated aural pleasure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marked Man View Post

You may need to purchase this from amazon or some such. Don't know if they have their stuff readily available in Ireland.
    this, too, intrigues me......
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto1208 View Post
    Anto sings the big show tunes by anto great album hasnt sold well but that doesnt mean its not epic.

The album that has stayed in my playlist for the last few years is Come on feel the illinoise by Sufjan Stevens. Not a weird obscure album. It has some lovely tracks on it. Really enjoyable listen.

If you ever saw the film Little miss sunshine a good few of the track where used on the sound track.
    Loving it, absolutely loving it! Girlfriend's already asked me to make her a copy of it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The Bends - Radiohead

Don't know what to say about it except I'm not a huge fan of the Bands other stuff (ok computer aside) But keep going back to the bends
    It's one of the few album's in my collection that I can truly say doesn't have a bad track on it

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Here's a sample of Rebirth Brass Band. Sound quality isn't great, but enough to give you an idea.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zzc_TYHxoE0

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    69 Love Songs (Volume 1,2 & 3) by The Magnetic Fields is brilliant, I go back to it over and over again
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast