Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Is Ian Harte good enough for the current Ireland squad?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

60 61.86%
  • No

37 38.14%
Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Ian Harte

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eoinh
    The man doesnt play in the English second division . Hes a failure! When he gets a decent move to someone like Cardiff then he should be considered for Ireland. Playing the likes of Real, Barcelona etc wont help his career.
    Well said.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse
    While even his biggest fan would concede that he's not the greatest defender, he's by no means the worst either.
    Ehm - I think he is!

Of all those who have been capped in recent memory, Harte would win the prize for the most inept defensive performances. The only one else who comes close is Babb.
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fergalr
    Ehm - I think he is!

Of all those who have been capped in recent memory, Harte would win the prize for the most inept defensive performances. The only one else who comes close is Babb.
    I'm afraid your right. Don't know when the rot set in .. think just before O'Leary dropped him at Leeds for a few months. If you do a Dunphy holditjusttherebill on the two goals last time around in Basel ... and you will see who was not arsed tracking back for the two Swiss goals. Everyone seems to remember O'Shea's mistakes, but Harte was at fault for both goals.

In any case there is other stuff probably in play about him being dropped .. Without making wild accusations, Kerr is closer to the players than us, so he knows who is hungry and committed and who is not. .. respect, lifestyle etc etc.

Pity though .. another case of wasted talent. .. he is accomplished on the ball .. and there might be hope for him yet ..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fergalr
    Ehm - I think he is!
    Of course he's the WORST defender ever, that's why he's got a barrow load of caps and has played in the Premiership for years and the Champions League

Listen I'm not his biggest fan either, but I honestly can only remember a few games when he was poor for us. That in my mind doesn't warrant him being tagged "useless", "shocking" etc. And let me remind you that the whole team let us down in Basle, not just Harte.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Of course he's the WORST defender ever, that's why he's got a barrow load of caps and has played in the Premiership for years and the Champions League

Listen I'm not his biggest fan either, but I honestly can only remember a few games when he was poor for us. That in my mind doesn't warrant him being tagged "useless", "shocking" etc. And let me remind you that the whole team let us down in Basle, not just Harte.

He's been poor nearly every time he's played for us and was shocking for Leeds in his last few years there. That warrants him being tagged useless and shocking because, well, he is absolutley useless and shocking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    He's been poor nearly every time he's played for us and was shocking for Leeds in his last few years there. That warrants him being tagged useless and shocking because, well, he is absolutley useless and shocking.
    Oh well he must be then.... Premier League experiance, Champions League experiance, La Liga experiance, International experiance, World Cup experiance makes him the worst defender in the world....EVER!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    Oh well he must be then.... Premier League experiance, Champions League experiance, La Liga experiance, International experiance, World Cup experiance makes him the worst defender in the world....EVER!!
    Naturally he must have meant 'worst player ever' literally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Are you seriusly trying to suggest that experience = ability? He can have played in all the matches he wants if he's not good enough than he's not good enough and Ian Harte simply is not good enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Never had the brain or the legs of his uncle but he undoubtedly brought something else to the party.

A free kick anywhere within an asses roar of the goal and it's always as likely as not that he'll bury it. None of our current free kick takers inspire that kind of confidence when standing over a dead ball.

Yes there's a trade off between apptitude at one skill and ineptitude with another but I saw teams play Leeds where they'd play the ball toward Harte trying to exploit his weaknesses but provided the team planned for it he was still more likely to be the cause of you getting one than conceding one.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What I'm trying to suggest is basic enough.......you don't get all that experiance by being a "shocking", "useless" player.

I don't want to get drawn into an argument with ye lads about whether he's sh1te or not, as I've said already I'm not his biggest fan either. I'm just saying that he's not a total donkey IMO. The facts would suggest this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What I'm trying to suggest is basic enough.......you don't get all that experiance by being a "shocking", "useless" player.
    He got all that exeprience by being excellent at set peices/crosses. He is, however, both a shocking and a useless (and i'll throw in an inept) defender, and his primary job is to defend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He got all that exeprience by being excellent at set peices/crosses. He is, however, both a shocking and a useless (and i'll throw in an inept) defender, and his primary job is to defend.
    Yeah that's right Slash, O'Leary, McCarthy etc played him all the time in the hope that they MIGHT get a free kick close to the goal at some stage. They weren't bothered about the fact that he might cost them plenty if he was as bad as you suggest because it was worth it in case they got a free kick!!

Come on, there's got to be more to your argument than that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah that's right Slash, O'Leary, McCarthy etc played him all the time in the hope that they MIGHT get a free kick close to the goal at some stage. They weren't bothered about the fact that he might cost them plenty if he was as bad as you suggest because it was worth it in case they got a free kick!!

Come on, there's got to be more to your argument than that!
    McCarthy picked him because he'd nobody else. O'Leary tried to find a replacement, playing Matteo and Raul Bravo there but ultimately he, and his successors, due to Leeds position had nobody else either. The only thing he adds is free kicks/crosses, he's easily the worst defender for defending Ireland have played regularly in a long, long time. I couldn't care less if he's played in 15,000 champions league finals, I've seen him play enough myself and no stats or games he's played in will change my mind, the man is an inept defender.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    that's a pretty unsophisticated view of things slash/ED.
    By that logic neither he nor any other defender should take free kicks ...coz what if it breaks down quickly? ...he'll have compromised his primary job -which is apparently to defend.

I waould say his primary and indeed only job is to do whatever the manager tells him to do -to the best of his ability while he's on the pitch
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie
    that's a pretty unsophisticated view of things slash/ED.
    By that logic neither he nor any other defender should take free kicks ...coz what if it breaks down quickly? ...he'll have compromised his primary job -which is apparently to defend.

I waould say his primary and indeed only job is to do whatever the manager tells him to do -to the best of his ability while he's on the pitch
    Yes but it would help if he could actually defend. You need to be able to defend to be a defender, the free kicks and all that are a bonus but if you can't defend you're a liability which is what Harte is when he plays for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Interesting arguement but I think Slash nailed it with his last comment. Seeing the positions that Harte took up while playing for Ireland used to have my blood pressure soaring. Useless, shocking & inept are worthy descriptions. Please god, he'll never wear a green shirt again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    McCarthy picked him because he'd nobody else. O'Leary tried to find a replacement, playing Matteo and Raul Bravo there but ultimately he, and his successors, due to Leeds position had nobody else either. The only thing he adds is free kicks/crosses, he's easily the worst defender for defending Ireland have played regularly in a long, long time. I couldn't care less if he's played in 15,000 champions league finals, I've seen him play enough myself and no stats or games he's played in will change my mind, the man is an inept defender.

Ok you've got opinion, that's fine.

My argument is based on the fact that various top class managers have played him time and time again. Yours is based on the fact that you don't rate him and assuming that you're not a top level manager then it suggests that you're wrong.(unless you rate yourself a better judge of player than O'Leary, McCarthy and his fellow pro's who voted him in the PFA Select for 2 years)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ok you've got opinion, that's fine.

My argument is based on the fact that various top class managers have played him time and time again. Yours is based on the fact that you don't rate him and assuming that you're not a top level manager then it suggests that you're wrong.(unless you rate yourself a better judge of player than O'Leary, McCarthy and his fellow pro's who voted him in the PFA Select for 2 years)
    O'Leary didn't rate him and tried to play different people in his position, as I said, but ended up with too small a squad so Harte had to play. Mccarthy had nobody else.

That btw is the most pathetic argument you can get in football, well if a manager picked him he must be right, he obviously knows more than you. If all managers were perfect judges of players and never got it wrong there would be no need to replace them with other managers would there? Afterall, they're all perfect judges and never get it wrong so they'd all be exactly the same and have the same ideas wouldn't they? It's worth pointing out that both McCarthy and O'Leary were forced out of their respective jobs by the way.

And if all managers were perfect judges of players than Brian Kerr, who afterall is an international manager (Are you?) has left him out of his squad, despite injuries, and has included an average SPL defender ahead of him who would be playing out of position anyway. I think that shows what Kerr, an international manager, thinks of Ian Harte doesn't it? Words like 'useless' and 'shocking' spring to mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy
    Interesting arguement but I think Slash nailed it with his last comment. Seeing the positions that Harte took up while playing for Ireland used to have my blood pressure soaring. Useless, shocking & inept are worthy descriptions. Please god, he'll never wear a green shirt again.
    Actually I believe I nailed it when I said Harte has been shown to be more likely to get you a goal than to concede you one. All these managers that continued to pick him didn't do so coz he's a nice kid with good manners. they did so coz he had something to offer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie
    Actually I believe I nailed it when I said Harte has been shown to be more likely to get you a goal than to concede you one.
    When did he do that then?

And those managers had nobody else. As soon as other options became available to us Harte was thrown out and hopefully will never be seen again. As soon as other options were available to Leeds Harte was out of the side but they kept loseing their players.

Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast