Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Is Ian Harte good enough for the current Ireland squad?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

60 61.86%
  • No

37 38.14%
Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Ian Harte

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carnstien
    I don't think I'm as harsh on Harte as the many fans who think he should be taken out and shot. Personally I just think he is playing in the wrong positon.

How no Premiership or Irish manager has never realised that Harte's best position is left midfield is disturbing. He is crap at defending, but is a great passer of the ball, leathal from set pieces and is very comfortable on the ball. He is as slow as Christmas but at least in midfield that wouldn't result in defencive collapse. It doesn't take a genius to work out where he SHOULD be playing.
    I think Harte takes more than his fair share of stick too, ok he makes
    the occasional lapse, but then who doesn't?
    You have to trade that off against his crossing and free-kick ability.
    He normally makes good use of the ball when he has got it.
    Unfortunately we have more good left-midfielders than I have had
    hot dinners.
    He does get forward well, it is getting back again which tends to cause
    problems!

Scotland are 1:0 up in Spain at the moment not bad considering Spain are world ranked 3 and Scotland 67!! (diff 64)
    Cyprus are 101 and Ireland 16 (diff 85) so anything can happen,
    and shock results do happen - beware.

thecorner
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    And how did your hero Roy
    where did i say roy was my hero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ian Harte - Clown

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysing...p?newsid=13437

Harte seethes over absence

September 5, 2004

Ian Harte is not a happy camper over his omission from the current Irish squad for the World Cup qualifiers, claiming that he can’t understand how he can be left out in favour of players who are not regulars for their clubs.

Since Harte moved to the Spanish Primera Liga he has been somewhat off the Irish supporter’s radar. That changed last weekend as he scored from a 35 yard free kick on his league debut for Levante.

Some less then intrepid defending since Ireland qualified for the 2002 World Cup has seen the former Leeds star drop down the international pecking order at full back, but even allowing for that, Harte is angry at being overlooked for the games against Cyprus and Switzerland.

“I’m not happy at not being in the squad and to be honest I don’t know whether I would have been better moving to the first Division,” said Harte from Spain, in an interview with the Sunday Mirror.

“I’ve moved to the top league in Spain and I’m not picked while there are others selected, who being honest, are not even playing for their teams.”

Harte explains that Brian Kerr rang with the bad news about not being in the squad, but the left back feels he is being harshly treated. The defender had missed the end of season games with Ireland and knew that others had impressed in his absence, but feels that others are getting preferential treatment.

“Brian rang and told me the story with the squad. I asked ‘why am I not in?’ and he said the lads there for the last few months had done well, which is fair enough.

“I know some lads did well in those summer matches, but there are others who didn’t travel and they are in the squad, so I am not happy with that.”

The Levante man feels that his natural left footed ability will be missed from the Ireland squad.

“More than anything, I don’t understand how he (Kerr) could name eight defenders in his squad with not one naturally left footed player.

“John O’Shea is there now, but he is not a naturally left side left back, he will always cut in on his right.

“Even Alan Maybury, who is cover there, is a right back. There is nothing I can do about the team though apart from scoring from 35 yards each week.”
    How about five years of stunningly inept performances as a reason for being left out Ian? He finally gets left out of a few Ireland squads (Very very long overdue) and he throws his toys out of the pram. That's probably the end of his international career I'd imagine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Whoops meant to post this in the national team forum, is there any mods online that could move it for me? Sorry about that.

thecorner
    Ian Harte is not a happy camper over his omission from the current Irish squad for the World Cup qualifiers, claiming that he can’t understand how he can be left out in favour of players who are not regulars for their clubs.
    all of a sudden hes a regular and thinks he has a god given right to a squad place

how about the times he couldnt get near the leeds first 11,even when they were struggling and he still got in the irish squad

didnt seem to worry him then

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

He is good at set pieces .... but that is it, he aint up to it.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've never been a huge fan of Harte but he has come through with a few important goals. As for the comments above, I find it quite refreshing that he cares enough to get angry about being left out. I'd pegged Harte as a McCarthy loyalist who had become complacent and who'd try and undermine Kerr. When uncle Gary hung up his boots I assumed Harte would not be far behind. His anger shows desire and I think thats admirable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    who was selected who isn't making their team?

everyone in the squad has played first team ball this season so far.

maybury plays left-back for hearts too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    While Maybury has played left back for Hearts on occasion, 95% of the time he plays right back. Having seen Maybury in the flesh a few times, I have always found him to be very limited. For a professional footballer his distrubution is poor and one sign of pressure and he hoofs it away.
    That said, he looked better during the recent friendlies. For me though, Harte is the better option. While his distrubution is no better than Maybury's at least he has the ability to pull a goal out of the bag with a set piece.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Perhaps Ian should stop concentrating on scoring 35 yeard free kicks every week and learn how to defend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3
    Perhaps Ian should stop concentrating on scoring 35 yeard free kicks every week and learn how to defend.
    Well said!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Ian Harte may have some valid points but doesn't do himself any favours by bitching to the press.

btw i think he'll play for Ireland again this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3
    While even his biggest fan would concede that he's not the greatest defender, he's by no means the worst either. You don't play Premier League football for years and Champions League football by being a BAD defender.

Both he and Maybury are average...but I'd rather have an average defender in the squad that can occasionally pull a goal out of the bag for you than an average defender that'll never get near the level required to play Premier League and Champions League football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamo kerry
    who was selected who isn't making their team?

everyone in the squad has played first team ball this season so far.
    Absolutely. That was a particularly stupid comment from Harte. He's not so much better than Maybury that he can claim an automatic place, and it's Kerr's place to make that decision. He can feic off, and go earn his place back.
    You can't spell failure without FAI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse
    While Maybury has played left back for Hearts on occasion, 95% of the time he plays right back. Having seen Maybury in the flesh a few times, I have always found him to be very limited. For a professional footballer his distrubution is poor and one sign of pressure and he hoofs it away.
    That said, he looked better during the recent friendlies. For me though, Harte is the better option. While his distrubution is no better than Maybury's at least he has the ability to pull a goal out of the bag with a set piece.

Maybury may not be a new Irwin but he's better defensively than Harte and has been good for Ireland. It makes a nice change not to have the huge gaping hole at left back whilst Harte's further up the field than Duff. And on Saturday’s display, looks like Reid will be a perfect replacement in the set-piece department.

Having said that I was pleased for Harte that he’s made his mark at Levante already, here’s hoping that he uses this fresh start to knuckle down and achieve some of his potential.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Really surprised that Harte wasnt called up when O'Shea pulled out. What ever people say about him he's half decent cover and playing in Spain will improve him
    Oh no not them again

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ian has been a liability in defence for Ireland for years now. He has scored some great goals for us but needs to work harder to improve his positioning and defensive skills IMO. Hopefully he will use some of his anger in this way and get himself back in contention.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykay
    Ian has been a liability in defence for Ireland for years now. He has scored some great goals for us but needs to work harder to improve his positioning and defensive skills IMO. Hopefully he will use some of his anger in this way and get himself back in contention.
    To be blunt, I can't see how Harte could have had the career he's had without those very positioning and defensive skills. I firmly believe that fully half the problem with him is attitude.
    You can't spell failure without FAI

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The man doesnt play in the English second division . Hes a failure! When he gets a decent move to someone like Cardiff then he should be considered for Ireland. Playing the likes of Real, Barcelona etc wont help his career.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think Harte has took my advise and got some hypnosis to help his confidence. He is a player that thrives on confidence and not only has he talked to the press twice in one week ( ), he has also publicly stated he thinks he should be in the squad. I'm being serious when I say he must have got something done to help his confidence.

Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast